Proposal: Leafs - Wild Big Trade

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
#1LW, Blue chip prospect, and a bottom pairing defenseman for a second pairing defenseman. :biglaugh:

Lou would have you sleeping with the fishes if you called and offered that. :biglaugh:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Easy pass for the Wild.

To the Wild, Spurgeon > JVR, Polak has no value, and Kapanen isn't worth the difference, creation of the roster imbalance, and the wasting of the trade bullet that is one of the Wild's great young blueliners.

This is clearly just to help the Leafs.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
No thank you.

Edit - and I'd easily take Spurgeon over Tanev or Petry. Spurgeon is a legit, top pairing D. He's an excellent two way defenseman.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I'm fine with our LW situation and wouldn't be too eager to give JVR the contract that he'll be looking for in a year and a half. Those are a couple reasons.

Your LW situation won't make you a contender. You need more offence regardless of how well Dubnyk has been playing and can afford to give up Spurgeon due to the upcoming expansion draft.

JVR is a better LW than anyone on your roster currently with the way Parise is declining.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Easy pass for the Wild.

To the Wild, Spurgeon > JVR, Polak has no value, and Kapanen isn't worth the difference, creation of the roster imbalance, and the wasting of the trade bullet that is one of the Wild's great young blueliners.

This is clearly just to help the Leafs.

It would help to know about the players coming back to the Wild :help:

Make no mistake, this deal favors the Wild.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Your LW situation won't make you a contender. You need more offence regardless of how well Dubnyk has been playing and can afford to give up Spurgeon due to the upcoming expansion draft.

JVR is a better LW than anyone on your roster currently with the way Parise is declining.

Giving up Spurgeon does very little to help us with the expansion draft.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A middle finger and a blocked number.

Who gives af about the value you think you're providing. That's a useless deal for the Canucks. Trade JVR to a playoff team.

:laugh: Apparently you do.

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
#1LW, Blue chip prospect, and a bottom pairing defenseman for a second pairing defenseman. :biglaugh:

Lou would have you sleeping with the fishes if you called and offered that. :biglaugh:

Do you truly think Spurgeon is a second pairing defensemen? He's a proven #2 that can handle all situations. Those don't come cheap.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The expansion draft is gonna be a **** kicker for all of us, but you still have to man up if you want to contend.

I don't think trading Spurgeon for JVR is our missing piece for contention. It has nothing to do with "manning up" and It does absolutely nothing to help us in expansion; probably hurts us more than we would be currently.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Not as well as JVR, no that's true I agree. However, I'm very happy with our current #1 LW who had a $4.25 mill cap hit.

I'm definitely not adding Kapanen to the deal like your proposed.

To make all happy, I modified the deal, replacing Kapanen with a 2016 2nd.

He won't have that cap hit beyond next season, so Spugeon's contract makes more sense to carry into being a Stanley Cup contender.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Bad deal for the leafs.

I doubt even a one for one trade would work for either team.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Leipsic absolutely has top 6 upside in him. Leivo? not so much.. All that aside, this is one wild proposal..

Maybe, but Kapanen has elite speed and finishing ability. Prospects like him don't grow on trees. I'd be very hesitant to trade him unless it's for a clear cut significant top D upgrade.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
The expansion draft is gonna be a **** kicker for all of us, but you still have to man up if you want to contend.

So we should trade our #1RHD (with no RH ready to take his place), for a LW who will leave in another season, and then lose yet another defensemen in the expansion draft? That's supposed to help us? If we're going to trade a defensemen, it should be for a young player that we'll be able to keep for more than 1.5 seasons.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I don't think trading Spurgeon for JVR is our missing piece for contention. It has nothing to do with "manning up" and It does absolutely nothing to help us in expansion; probably hurts us more than we would be currently.

And we'll end up having to expose one of Gards or Zaitsev if this deal goes down.

Still we need future D help and you need present O help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad