Proposal: Leafs - Wild Big Trade

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
how i look at it suter whines everytime he has to play with brodin or dumba. brodin and dumba are both better than any rd on toronto. imagine how a guy like that could help rielly turn into a topnotch defender. he always in the right spot and plays more physical than you would expect. great in d zone and good in ozone. they should prolly trade a young blue chipper for spurg so every d man on there team could learn from his play.
hes not lidstrom but his smarts and positioning reminds me of him.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
JVR is now a meh scoring winger... what an absolute joke. He is like top 30 in scoring in the entire league over the past 5 years. Including centers.
You may not like the deal but don't make up stuff to sell your own agenda.

He's 128th in 5-on-5 scoring over the past 3 years, while Neiderrieter is 57th, Coyle is 71st, and Parise is 69th. Heck even Pominville is 78th..

So yeah he's a pretty meh scoring wing.

Source: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...d=0&type=individual&sort=ipoints&sortdir=DESC

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I wasn't talking about 5v5 goals and the past 3 years include a year where he only played half the season.
If that site had goals per game it would show JVR up way higher as he is 50th in goals in the past 3 years while playing like 30 games less than anyone in the top 50.
His goals per game is top 30 I'd imagine.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I wasn't talking about 5v5 goals and the past 3 years include a year where he only played half the season.
If that site had goals per game it would show JVR up way higher as he is 50th in goals in the past 3 years while playing like 30 games less than anyone in the top 50.
His goals per game is top 30 I'd imagine.

Even on that site, if you sort by goals he's 25th. He's played more games than 3 of the 24 guys ahead of him and less than the rest

Still surprised when anyone can see JVR as anything but a 1st line winger

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Even on that site, if you sort by goals he's 25th. He's played more games than 3 of the 24 guys ahead of him and less than the rest

Still surprised when anyone can see JVR as anything but a 1st line winger

he's for sure a first line winger. just one with baggage teams aren't going to give you a young first pairing (or potential) defenseman on a good contract for. Baggage in the form of a presumed big payday that will be heavier than optimal on his past-prime years.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Look - nobody here is arguing the needs of the Leafs with you. Frankly we Wild fans don't care. Whether Spurgeon fits your needs is irrelevant - Leafs aren't getting him with that package and (rightfully) you're keeping your young, elite talent through the rebuild.

You want a big defenseman, that's your perogative. Go make a proposal for one. We don't want your players and want to keep Spurgeon (universally, I might add - there has not been a single Wild fan in this thread who has wavered even a bit). Have a nice weekend.

I want to trade Spurgeon, not for the deal offered though. But i'm in agreement with most of the Tor fans. Great #4D, too small to be a #2 unless carried buy a true #1.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
I want to trade Spurgeon, not for the deal offered though. But i'm in agreement with most of the Tor fans. Great #4D, too small to be a #2 unless carried buy a true #1.

I'm sensing some major sarcasm here

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm sensing some major sarcasm here

Nope. I've been pretty consistent with this since I joined the forums. He has value for what he is RHD, puck mover, PPQB, defensibly responsible. The type of guy the Oilers/Rangers need.

Tor needs a Brodin/Suter or Scandella type of player. Keep the crease clear, out muscle along the boards.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You need to give it up already, your assessment of Spurgeon is so wrong its laughable at this point. How can you say he would not thrive as if its a factual statement? All evidence points to him being able to thrive as a first pairing dman. Answer me this, how many times have you watched Spurgeon? Based on what i've seen probably not much, if at all.

Sweet Jesus. You guys still going on about this? Listen, he is 5'9". Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, he looks good on your team with your depth on D, on others he would be outmanned. If I am throwing three to four assets out there, I'm not interested in Spurgeon, I be going after a much bigger fish. You guys love him? Great, I don't. In today's NHL, you don't build a defence around a guy that is 5'9". He's a complimentary piece, not a pillar.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Sweet Jesus. You guys still going on about this? Listen, he is 5'9". Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, he looks good on your team with your depth on D, on others he would be outmanned. If I am throwing three to four assets out there, I'm not interested in Spurgeon, I be going after a much bigger fish. You guys love him? Great, I don't. In today's NHL, you don't build a defence around a guy that is 5'9". He's a complimentary piece, not a pillar.

He's actually about 5'7" But you're not going to get any bigger fish with the assets you named. Well probably you will find someone literally bigger but you know what I mean. I thought you were building your defense around that Rielly person. Because if the Wild's "built around" crew doesn't include Spurgeon it's just one guy, too. We're doing much better than you are with that midget as a complimentary player.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Nope. I've been pretty consistent with this since I joined the forums. He has value for what he is RHD, puck mover, PPQB, defensibly responsible. The type of guy the Oilers/Rangers need.

Tor needs a Brodin/Suter or Scandella type of player. Keep the crease clear, out muscle along the boards.

Lmao gonna say you are all alone on that one

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016

Aren't you guys building the defense around Rielly? But, you avoided my original question, how many games of Spurgeons have you watched?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JVR is 22nd in goals per game and 58th in points per game of all active Forwards (min 40gms) over the past 3yrs.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Minnesota HAS to move one of their D and the reason they haven't done it yet is because no GM has been stupid enough to offer a package anywhere near this value.

It's like bidding on a contract. You got all the successful businesses coming in at $1M and then some nutso offers $50M.

No one else was anywhere close and you could have bid $1.5M and won the bid, but you overpaid by $48.5M because you bid "what was fair" instead of what was smart.

Leverage IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Minnesota is going to lose Spurgeon for NOTHING in the expansion draft. They'll take Polak + 2nd eventually you just got to get them desperate enough.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Minnesota HAS to move one of their D and the reason they haven't done it yet is because no GM has been stupid enough to offer a package anywhere near this value.

It's like bidding on a contract. You got all the successful businesses coming in at $1M and then some nutso offers $50M.

No one else was anywhere close and you could have bid $1.5M and won the bid, but you overpaid by $48.5M because you bid "what was fair" instead of what was smart.

Minnesota is going to lose Spurgeon for NOTHING in the expansion draft. They'll take Polak + 2nd eventually you just got to get them desperate enough.
Because no team will beat Polak and a 2nd? By your analogy, that's not a million dollar offer, it's about tree fiddy. Someone would easily offer more than that.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota HAS to move one of their D

Wrong.

and the reason they haven't done it yet is because no GM has been stupid enough to offer a package anywhere near this value.

Wrong.

Now I honestly think you're either being heavily sarcastic or trolling.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
if JVR is amazing why does Toronto want to trade him

why wont he sign

I am assuming you are a Canucks fan, so i will also assume you have read through the Tanev for Drouin thread. The same question was asked of Nucks fans, "if Tanev is so good, why do Nucks fans put him in so many proposals"....the answer is the same as ours, JVR....much like Tanev, is our most valuable expendable trade chip....that's all.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I am assuming you are a Canucks fan, so i will also assume you have read through the Tanev for Drouin thread. The same question was asked of Nucks fans, "if Tanev is so good, why do Nucks fans put him in so many proposals"....the answer is the same as ours, JVR....much like Tanev, is our most valuable expendable trade chip....that's all.

tanev is signed for a while JVR is a ufa soon i dont think the value is remotely comparable

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014

You either don't understand the expansion draft or really suck at critical thinking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad