GDT: Leafs vs Sens Sept 8th - 3 p.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Don't you know that the refs are the only reason the Leafs haven't won the Cup every one of the last 50 years?
Not every last Cup, but they sure influenced the 92-93 cup run for both us and the Islanders.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
-Bracco looked good.
-Nielson also wasn't as bad as people are making him out be but he still could've been better.
-Liljegren looked solid but you can tell he's raw. He's got a lot of potential to tap into
-Grundstrom was a boss. With his offensive ability and Physical play. He really stood out to me. I expect him to make a strong push for a 4th line spot with the big Club
nielson is like 10th on the depth chart chill,lilligren is a couple years away hes like 9th .lets chill folks grundstrom .might get a few exhibition games ,I don't expect anyone to get a top 14 spot on the roster

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
One game doesn't make a player and certainly not from a rookie tournament in September.

Really enjoyed watching SDA, Liljegren, Sandin, Bracco and Brooks.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not every last Cup, but they sure influenced the 92-93 cup run for both us and the Islanders.
True, but it sure seems that way, listening to some fans blaming the refs for everything short of Tim Horton's death.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Except Rask of course ...

And once they're proven they're good to go ... except Raycroft.
Yes... arguably the worst trade in Leafs history. I remember at the time though, people thought the same of Justin Pogge. I remember being devastated waking up in the morning reading that trade, Raycroft was coming off an awful season, and I was big on Rask over Pogge. We all know how that turned out. Worst... trade... EVER.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yes... arguably the worst trade in Leafs history. I remember at the time though, people thought the same of Justin Pogge. I remember being devastated waking up in the morning reading that trade, Raycroft was coming off an awful season, and I was big on Rask over Pogge. We all know how that turned out. Worst... trade... EVER.

You had a 50/50 chance of being right on that one ;)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
nielson is like 10th on the depth chart chill,lilligren is a couple years away hes like 9th .lets chill folks grundstrom .might get a few exhibition games ,I don't expect anyone to get a top 14 spot on the roster

Almost had a heart attack trying to read this post

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I don't understand the Ian Scott pick at all.

Dude put up a cumulative 0.895 sv% in 126 games in the WHL (0.894 sv% in 76 games prior to being drafted). He also is only 6'3, which doesn't make him appealing size-wise.

Check out Matt Murray's draft year numbers. It'll make you feel better about the pick. Numbers don't seem to be nearly as important to scouts when dealing with goalies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't understand the Ian Scott pick at all.

Dude put up a cumulative 0.895 sv% in 126 games in the WHL (0.894 sv% in 76 games prior to being drafted). He also is only 6'3, which doesn't make him appealing size-wise.

1) 6'3" or 6'4" is very appealing size-wise.
2) He played on a terrible team the first time, and a bubble playoff team the second time. In both cases, he played on defenses that gave up a lot of high quality chances. That does not do well for his save percentage.
3) He played pretty well today. He made some good saves. Giving up 6 goals is never good, but 5 of them were really out of his control. 1st one he was piled on and he really covered the puck but the ref did not whistle it. 3 of them were clean breakaways/odd-man rushes or shots from the slot that would be tough for any goalie to save every time. He did save a few just like that in the game. The 4th one was a really good screen that I believe got tipped or deflected so he had no chance on that one either. Ottawa's goalies were far worse than Scott.

Based on what I saw, almost everyone had good and bad moments. Liljegren looked great, but he gave up some bad opportunities. Sandin was shutting down guys like crazy, but the times he was not able to ended up costing the Leafs a goal. PK was pretty strong, but they still gave up a few goals. A lot of the offense was putting up opportunities but could not always capitalize. Scott made some great saves, but also gave up a weak one and 6 goals overall. All in all, I think the Leafs outplayed the Sens but beat themselves by handing them too many good chances and not capitalizing enough on their chances either.

Reactions: cookie

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks for game summaries gents. Missed game yesterday. Watching today. i know against Habs who suck but at least it is hockey. Good to hear Lilly looked good. This is really key piece for Leafs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Bad, yes, but I reserve 'worst' for the Courtnall/Kordic fiasco.

I remember the world juniors they played in: Pogge, playing for Canada, won the gold, but Rask was clearly better, and was correctly picked as the best goalie. Then they traded him without his even playing a game for us.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Another real winner of a trade ... Leafs draft Doug Jarvis 24th overall in 1975 and immediately trade him at the draft to Montreal for Greg Hubick. Jarvis wins four Stanley Cups, the Selke, the Masterton is the best defensive centre in the league and sets the all time ironman record of 964 straight games. You remember Hubick, don’t you?

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Admittedly OT, but in 1975 the Leafs drafted Bruce Boudreau, Ron Wilson snd Ken Holland. They had drafted Randy Carlyle in 74.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad