Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I gotta record this one too. My son's playing hockey out of town at 8 PM tonight.

I used to be able to record games and not see the score but now I don't even try doing that I'd have to turn my phone off completely.
That sucks I remember those days which were like 6 nights a week. I went many years of missing Leaf and Marlie games. Thank god they sucked back then.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Mik or Moore or Engval pick whoever you want but AJ and Kappy are all wrong for that line ... lets test things out over the next 6-7 games

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I just looked at their game logs.

WN: View attachment 293539

AM:

View attachment 293541

Alternatively, you could use the date filter at NHL.com

So Leafs are 7-4 in their last 11 games since Keefe... so a good record overall... but Matthew's and Nylander in the last 26 combined games between them... have a combined 13 points between both of them... yikes. I didn't realize they were that cold.

That's not good enough production. Overall they've been pretty good this season but they really need to pick it up.

Hell Leafs would have 1 or 2 more wins since Keefe if they were putting up more goals/points.

They really need the 1a or 1b line to get going. In all honesty if we're talking about what winger is better with Matthews and Nylander than its saying more about their play lately then who lines up beside them. They need to be better... they should be easily driving lines... especially Matty.

I'm not trying to shit on them... they've been pretty good... but I'm just saying... they can be a lot better.

Reactions: DarkKnight

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The "old" Leafs wouldn't have been able to shutdown McDavid and beat the Oilers with Matthews/Nylander slumping or come out of that road trip 3-1 in games. Let's just hope the 'new" Leafs keep getting better as they are getting healthier.

Sure they could.........the "old" Leafs often did the unexpected but would follow up a success by shooting themselves in foot in a game that would cede whatever ground they just made up.

I agree with with hoping this is a "new" team

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Will be nice to get some home games in. Leafs haven't played more than 1 game in a row at home since November 9th. 3 of the next 4 are at home.

Meanwhile teams like Florida get 9 game homestands lol

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So no actual "line" stats, you just did all the manual work to check when he got hurt and their stats in the games since etc. ?

Yeah, I didn't say anything about "line stats"... I was just looking at production before and Johnsson's injury...

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yeah, I didn't say anything about "line stats"... I was just looking at production before and Johnsson's injury...

I know. I wasn't responding to dismiss your posted stats or argue them.

Just generally wanted a source for this, so I could use it too.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Need a win tonight! Hopefully we get all 6 points out of the next 3 games, with their being a B2B I would settle with 5. Still these are teams you need to be getting max points out of.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So Leafs are 7-4 in their last 11 games since Keefe... so a good record overall... but Matthew's and Nylander in the last 26 combined games between them... have a combined 13 points between both of them... yikes. I didn't realize they were that cold.

That's not good enough production. Overall they've been pretty good this season but they really need to pick it up.

Hell Leafs would have 1 or 2 more wins since Keefe if they were putting up more goals/points.

They really need the 1a or 1b line to get going. In all honesty if we're talking about what winger is better with Matthews and Nylander than its saying more about their play lately then who lines up beside them. They need to be better... they should be easily driving lines... especially Matty.

I'm not trying to **** on them... they've been pretty good... but I'm just saying... they can be a lot better.
That’s fair comment, doesn’t equate to hate.

I will say this and I believe it true, Nylander is the harder working of the two at this point. His board play has been noteworthy, he’s actually using his strength and going body to body more instead of stick checking. It’s not advanced stats but it’s hockey.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the back to back against the sabres was pretty frustrating, even if we did eke out a win and even though the loss had a lot to do with hutch. we still didn't play very well. though not awful, either.

still, those games came before mitch came back and that line was reunited, and came before the muzz-holl shutdown pair was put together and Ceci demoted. With those changes, there's no reason we shouldn't win this game.

But man, it sure would be nice to get multiple PPs for once.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'm not trying to **** on them... they've been pretty good... but I'm just saying... they can be a lot better.

I find that hard to believe. I mean I assume the numbers are correct, it's just so ... hard to believe.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I find that hard to believe. I mean I assume the numbers are correct, it's just so ... hard to believe.

the numbers are a bit off and its phrased weirdly.

the better way to say it would be:

"Matthews and Nylander have combined for only 8 goals and 15pts in the last 13gms, whereas they had combined for 22gls and 44pts in their first 21gms.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s doesn’t look right because it’s both their game totals together, between the two of them they’ve produced 13 points in the last 13 games. Matthews 7, Willie 6.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Just listen to Adrian and..

tenor.gif

source.gif

oP.gif

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

I just saw it from the post a few up from mine and counted games and points. I found it hard to believe too... but it is what it is, and those 2 need to be a lot better no doubt.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Need a win tonight! Hopefully we get all 6 points out of the next 3 games, with their being a B2B I would settle with 5. Still these are teams you need to be getting max points out of.
Its Detroit on the back half of the back to back...they have to win that game. 6 of 6 or it's a disappointment in my opinion.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
That’s fair comment, doesn’t equate to hate.

I will say this and I believe it true, Nylander is the harder working of the two at this point. His board play has been noteworthy, he’s actually using his strength and going body to body more instead of stick checking. It’s not advanced stats but it’s hockey.

Well I'd say forsure the last 5 games or so... regardless of point totals... I think Nylander has been getting a lot of chances. Just has to start burying more. The effort has been good though.

Matthews though... he seems pretty streaky this season so far to me. He needs to be more consistent.

Seems like he's flying sometimes and other games just out for a blade. I know every guy has those games, but he's our top guy ... he needs to be on more than off. A ton of season left... just a bit surprised by the stats.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad