Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Actually the Leafs are 4th, tied for 3rd and Buffalo is 2nd there are 4 points between and 6th and they are in 2nd basically on the back of Eichel, one bad week from him and they are back in 6th.

That's why I'm not willing to call them a good team, there is one line carrying the lead how long can that last?

There is no depth when that to line goes into a slump, and it will it happens to everybody Buffalo will start to struggle, because like Edmonton Buffalo doesn't have the depth to withstand a slump from their top guys.

Good is a subjective term so whatever. Wins and losses are all that matters, if it's one line or 4 doing the damage, who cares. Everyone has slumps, slumps always end. I'm not willing to downgrade teams because they rely on one line, not when they're winning.

As of today, by PTS% BUF if 2nd, their .574 being well ahead of our .529.

Anyone can have a good week or a bad week, we just had a good week and are still 12th in the East.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Oh mayne, even if barrie ain't gon play, we gon pound these suckas down. Treal hard. And they KNOWS THIS already. In hand. We that talented offensively and oriented in our minds. We got that great speedy gonzalez they ain't got(!)

We got this and make the whole playoff run even more exciting. Invest a lot. I do, and I wins. :money: :paper: :dollar: :happy: :gilmore: :do: :it: :invest:

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh mayne, even if barrie ain't gon play, we gon pound these suckas down. Treal hard. And they KNOWS THIS already. In hand. We that talented offensively and oriented in our minds. We got that great speedy gonzalez they ain't got(!)

We got this and make the whole playoff run even more exciting. Invest a lot. I do, and I wins. :money: :paper: :dollar: :happy: :gilmore: :do: :it: :invest:

lol speedy gonzo-lez. He was a carpet layer i think, used a lot of undalay if he wasn’t.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
For the love of all that is holy, move Kapanen down.

He destroyed the Tavares/Marner line when he was on it to start the year. Now he's doing it to Matthews/Nylander.

He's a third line player. Full stop. Put him with Kerfoot and let him chase pucks. He can't cycle and lacks the offensive instincts and touch to play with our stars.

Mikheyev or Moore seem like better fits. I'd even give Engvall a chance at this point.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Unfortunate because of injury. But I think Johnsson slowly being fazed out of this lineup was going to happen.

Mikhayev , Engvall and Moore (hopefully when healthy) make that transition easier

Here is hoping he has some value in trade

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
What the hell happened to Kappy he used to be a clutch scorer now it looks like he has Matt Martin's hands.

Last game his body language said it all. He would mess up a play and just look defeated. He has no jam at all right now.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I gotta record this one too. My son's playing hockey out of town at 8 PM tonight.

I used to be able to record games and not see the score but now I don't even try doing that I'd have to turn my phone off completely.

Reactions: Vaive50

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Matthews and Nylander have slumped basically since when Johnsson got hurt, yet we know that Johnsson isn't a good fit there? I'm on mobile and can't pull the numbers but I think people are discounting Johnsson way too easily in favour of the shiny new toys further down the lineup.

Reactions: Rogie

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Matthews and Nylander have slumped basically since when Johnsson got hurt, yet we know that Johnsson isn't a good fit there? I'm on mobile and can't pull the numbers but I think people are discounting Johnsson way too easily in favour of the shiny new toys further down the lineup.

They started slumping WELL before Johnsson got hurt, tbh. Well, Matthews at least has been.

Since Johnsson got hurt:
AM: 4GP 3G
WN: 4GP 1A

Previous 9 games before Johnsson got hurt:
AM: 2G, 2A
WN: 3G, 2A

Last 13 games total (with and without Johnsson):
AM: 5G 7P
WN: 3G 6P

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
They started slumping WELL before Johnsson got hurt, tbh. Well, Matthews at least has been.

Since Johnsson got hurt:

Where do these stats come from ?

(Serious question, was looking for a while and couldn't find line stats anywhere).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Where do these stats come from ?

(Serious question, was looking for a while and couldn't find line stats anywhere).

I just looked at their game logs.

WN:
upload_2019-12-17_10-8-16.png

AM:

upload_2019-12-17_10-8-45.png

Alternatively, you could use the date filter at NHL.com

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018

I'd would argue Johnsson has done a more than reasonable job on that line. There really isn't a big sample size with other players but when Mikheyev was with them he did great as well.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

SomethingWild77

Sep 18, 2018
The past games against Buffalo this year have been close. I just hope the Leafs show up and play like this game is as important as it is. If they take 10 minutes off I fully expect Buffalo to pounce, they've been playing good lately (5-1-4 in last 10).

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Since Johnsson got hurt:

On the plus side, we’re still winning without them being hot.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I gotta record this one too. My son's playing hockey out of town at 8 PM tonight.

I used to be able to record games and not see the score but now I don't even try doing that I'd have to turn my phone off completely.

I like to record games on my DVR only so I don't have to sit through the commercials and certain parts of the intermissions but found it very tough not to hear the score from some source. So I decided to record and start watching about an hour and 15 minutes after the start, this way I can still forward what I want and catch up to the game when it finishes. This way I've only used about an hour and 15 minutes to watch the game rather than 2 hours and 45 minutes. It helps ease the pain of lost time, especially when the lose.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd would argue Johnsson has done a more than reasonable job on that line. There really isn't a big sample size with other players but when Mikheyev was with them he did great as well.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

I would really like to see Mikheyev get an extended look on the Matthews line before Johnsson comes back. If it works, our bottom 6 could look very strong.

Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Engvall-Spezza-Moore

Gauthier
Timashov

Looking beyond that, if Johnsson is moved for a quality backup goaltender, we still have the depth to compensate.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Win outright and we're only 1 point back of a divisional rival, lose and we're either 4 or 5 points back.

So are these the "new" Leafs or "old" Leafs ? I know what would happen to the old Leafs.

The "old" Leafs wouldn't have been able to shutdown McDavid and beat the Oilers with Matthews/Nylander slumping or come out of that road trip 3-1 in games. Let's just hope the 'new" Leafs keep getting better as they are getting healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad