GDT: Leafs VS Oilers 7:30 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
$5,000-$10,000 per year, per kid to play GTHL AAA Hockey & that doesn't even take into cost of travel or tournaments or extra personal training.

The high cost has virtually eliminated the low to medium income families with multiple kids from participating at the elite level. Works to the benefit of the entitled rich kids. But that's another story.

Tom Renney was saying that most parents do this to themselves because they get the composite sticks and stuff. he's like just get a regular stick and normal skates and go for it.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
serious question what is worse? having the oilers constantly picking up several first overall picks and sucking or sucking but atleast have a coach that shows that we can play the game and keep even the best team at bay? Legit question because I always hear that oilers are sooo lucky but doesn't this kind of proof the grass seems always greener in the other side ideology

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
"Fewer kids are playing this game."

How true. Ever try to figure out why? The kids are so overly organized and over coached. How many coaches does one team need? Ever notice every one of the six or seven coaches has a kid or two on the team? Many of these kids play more games in a season than the NHL. How many games should kids play in one weekend? They travel all over the continent. The parents have jackets, pins, and all other kinds of team paraphernalia. Oh, and the partying done every weekend by the travel team parents? WOW!

A large number of the kids are all hockeyed out by 12-14. We don't ever let the kids just go play. The daily pond and street hockey played from sunrise to moonlight by all of us oldsters when growing up, making up rules to adjust for the game being played as it happened is disappearing. That was joy. Then you played a couple house games a week, watched your favorite team on TV, and advanced to more serious hockey as you grew up.

Adults have done it to kids in all sports. Kids can't be kids anymore. The march of my kid to the NHL begins by 4 or 5 and I have to get him the best coaches, trainers, skating instructors, and make sure he plays for THE area elite travel team or better yet an elite team in another city. No wonder they stop playing.

I thought youth hockey was for the kids, but it seems like it's become more for the parents in spite of everything Hockey Canada and its U.S. counterpart has tried to eliminate it. Oh, and money still talks. Someone has to pay for all of this extravagant travel, elite team uniforms, equipment, sticks, and extensive practice ice as well as game and tournament ice time. The McDavids of the world would never have developed without it. Right? Am I wrong? I guess talent doesn't happen without all of this outside interference, yet somehow it did in the past and the HOF is full of ex-pond players.

Guess I just don't get it. Glad I don't have to grow up now or have any kids to raise now either. Like I said for a lot of kids today the game just stops being fun and turns into a job way too soon.

Are you me?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tom Renney was saying that most parents do this to themselves because they get the composite sticks and stuff. he's like just get a regular stick and normal skates and go for it.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah you can get away with "regular" skates (aka not $800 skates more like $250-400) but you're not going to give a kid a wooden stick in AAA, still need to drop probably $300 on a stick, and hope to god it lasts the season.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Komarov seals it!

New_Project_11_zps3d190ab4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad