Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I'm honestly in favor of running 7 D for the playoffs. The blue line has been way too good for me to wanna sit anyone, penalties/injuries etc. will happen in the playoffs, Holl as the 7th dressed D wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljregren
Holl

Running 7 defencemen in a game is rarely effective. It forces the coaching staff to constantly juggle the forward lines and defence pairings which can throw off the team's chemistry.

Reactions: ACC1224

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
An absolutely HUGE two games coming up today and tomorrow. Let's take both boys, but absolutely need one tonight against Bolts.

Play with same attitude and playoff intensity. I'll have to listen on radio but hopefully can catch the last period on TV...since it's a 7:30pm start.

Go Leafs Go

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Running 7 defencemen in a game is rarely effective. It forces the coaching staff to constantly juggle the forward lines and defence pairings which can throw off the team's chemistry.

also something you do when the dcorps is a weakness with limited dmen that can only be used situationally.

with our Dcorps, there should be no need to shelter any dman.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The 4th line has been better recently, especially Simmonds. My thinking was to double shift a top 6 winger, alternating them since the 4th line was struggling so bad. Having an extra body on D that can be competitive would be nice. I get your point though, maybe you're right.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Rielly - - Boosh
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljigren
I think it has to be this. Liljegren has outplayed Holl and Sandin to this point and has really stepped up his game since being partnered with Gio. It was almost instant chemistry. Brodie can help anyone look better, as Gio has said...which is what Muzzin needs when coming back and having by all accounts a down year. And boosh is just a simple game for Rielly to be able to play a bit offensive with

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For the most part average goaltending will get it done, because this team scores at such a high level that they can win with average goaltending.

Tonight, average won't cut it, tonight Campbell needs to be at his absolute best, tonight we need November Jack Campbell.

I suppose it's possible that Vasi has an off night but he's the best in the game today so that's unlikely.

Tonight and tomorrow the Leafs need better than average goaltending,

average goaltending will not get it done vs Tampa or Florida

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

What's our record with playing 7 d? Feels like we usually lose. I recall that time we played so bad Keefe said he'd never try it again lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: crump

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

Didn't see this, but if true this could be interesting

I honestly thought it was unlikely he wouldn't want to join us for the playoff run even if he won't play much. Just the experience and being around NHL players and I think Matthews is his idol.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
think people are waaaaay overestimating what knies could do for us. Playing great in college does not mean he is anywhere close to being ready for NHL minutes, let alone in the top 6 ona contender. He will be a great addition to our lineup some day, but not yet

Reactions: Ciao and thinkblue

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

I like Clifford/Blackwell/Simmomds on the 4th.

Best to start Campbell vs Tampa as that is the team we need to stay ahead of in the standings. The Panthers are too far ahead at the moment to focus on that game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
think people are waaaaay overestimating what knies could do for us. Playing great in college does not mean he is anywhere close to being ready for NHL minutes, let alone in the top 6 ona contender. He will be a great addition to our lineup some day, but not yet

not impossible tho. a guy like Krieder came in for the playoffs right out of college and was a very nice 3rd line contributor.

Reactions: TopCheese

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I'm more keen on Robertson atm. I think Knies is in the mix with many of the Leafs' young forwards to compete for a spot in the top 12 but unlikely to be a permanent fixture down the stretch.

There's some more uncertainty with him though, hopefully it's good.

Reactions: TopCheese and Ciao

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

And how do you feel about him looking better than former NHLers at the Olympics?

Not saying he will come in and have much of an impact, but he has the skill and size to play at the NHL level already, it isn't like he is a small player who will get bullied.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
not impossible tho. a guy like Krieder came in for the playoffs right out of college and was a very nice 3rd line contributor.

To be fair, Krieder was 21 when he debuted and had two additional college seasons under his belt.

Knies will have a much harder adjustment but I think he will figure it out due to his playstyle and size.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I have some bad news I lost somehow, my pure white Maple Leaf toque. Soon as I knew it was lost, I raced to the store where I had bought it.

All gone the lady said, just had a Maple Leaf hat.

Didn't feel right,. Here I am without the toque.

In truth, we never lost a game when I wore it.

Its gone. Sorry guys, don't know what else to say.

I don't feel good about it, on any level.

I have to say, I am very supersticious. And it just doesn't feel right...

Quite a loss. Right before tonights huge game. Sorry boys. f***.

• Wow
Reactions: Lauro

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
suckas gonna get pounded
Y'all already knew milord! :clap:

We is going to invest so much into this game tonight. This is OUR time and OUR world now! The hockey world will be toronto's, totally in the future. All eyez is gon be on us like tupac tonight, and in the future. WE ARE THE HOCKEY'S MECCA sire. NOT THEM! US!!!!

Reactions: al secord and Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Rielly Lyubushkin
Muzzin Brodie
Giordano Liljegren

Would be nice.
Liljegren is now the third-highest scoring Leafs defenceman, after Rielly and Brodie. I hope he stays in the lineup.

I like Lyubushkin, too. I think of him as the Eraser, rubbing out puck carriers along the boards.

I think Holl is the most expendable of the three.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Tonight's game even without the miracle of Matt Knies needs to be played the same way they played the B's and Cat's. They need to match intensity and purpose and out skill TB

Reactions: teddygmr

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
I think Daren Dreger is trying extra hard to appear relevant, as a bullshooter his game is getting weak.
#Bold I wonder where he got that idea from?

I suppose someone is just reporting what they heard Dregs say, but I hope Dreger credited where he got this notion from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad