Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
When was the last time Bunting scored a goal? Seems like it was ages ago.

edit: it was Mar 07 against Columbus. Hasn't scored in 12 games. yikes.

needs to get on it.
Well, it is a road game, that's where he scores the vast majority of his goals.

Thought for sure he scored on the Lily bang off the boards goal.

Bunting did go 9 games without one in December. He's been close on a lot of them. Dam about to break.

I recall when he first started with us that he seemed a lot like Mikheyev. He'd have all these great chances and he just couldn't get them to go.

Tonight, would be a great night to get back on the board. If Simmonds did...

Reactions: HEAVY DUTY

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Honestly - if Keefe is smart, he probably does this:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl/Lybush
Giordano - Liljegren

You don't play with the 1st or 3rd pairing, they have proven to be effective. Let Holl/Lybush fight it out for a spot with muzzin (which i imagine will go to Holl given the past chemistry and also seeing how his TOI is reflected)

i like it but the issue there is that Boosh really needs a mobile puckmover beside him imo. him and Muzz i'm not sure would work.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20220404-121416_Sheets.jpg

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Reilly - Lybushkin
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano- Liljigren
Holl

Muzz will need a partner who can pick him up and help him play with some confidence after a rough year and lengthy absence. No player better for that job than TJ Brodie. Gio and Timmy works so well, and Lybushkin and Rielly has really worked as well.

I think Holl has played well as of late, but this is what Healthy competition looks like. He will draw in at some point, just not initially. At least not on my lineup card

Reactions: stuart5035 and Ciao

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Reilly - Lybushkin
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano- Liljigren
Holl

Muzz will need a partner who can pick him up and help him play with some confidence after a rough year and lengthy absence. No player better for that job than TJ Brodie. Gio and Timmy works so well, and Lybushkin and Rielly has really worked as well.

I think Holl has played well as of late, but this is what Healthy competition looks like. He will draw in at some point, just not initially. At least not on my lineup card
Keefe values Holl really highly - just no way he goes out barring injury/maintenance. The TOI does not lie

Reactions: aingefan

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
Watching this game downtown Edmonton with Ron and Tara. Please make this a joyful day for me. I don't want to cry in public. And don't expect to play just the 3rd period like they have the last 2 games against lesser opponents.

Reactions: Optimist

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Hope he is in. We need all the firepower for tonight and he played great the other night.

Either way should be a good one. Leafs usually up their game against the good teams. The next couple will be fun.

Looking for another solid game from Campbell. GLG.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Keefe values Holl really highly - just no way he goes out barring injury/maintenance. The TOI does not lie
Ya I don't disagree. I would not be shocked if that were the case, nor would I be overly upset to see Holl in the lineup over Lilly. It's not what I'd do personally, but again, that is what healthy competition looks like.

I will say, I think Last week when Lybushkin was out against the Jets, Keefe wanted to experiment with Gio - Holl for a reason. I am not sure how long Sheldon stuck with the pairings that night but I do know they got scored on twice and at some point it looked like Sheldon put Gio - Lilly back togethr

Keefe's pregame press conference for that Jets game suggested he was looking to see what other combo's worked. Gio and Holl have played 12 mins at 5v5 together and analytically didn't look good at all. We also saw how Muzz and Holl continually tripped over themselves for large portions of the year as well so I am not 100% confident they are a perfect fit. Maybe they can fair better on a bottom pairing, but certainly not in the role we were using them before. Even if we consider their entire body of work together as a pairing and the strong history with one another, we have to proceed with a bit of caution when considering them as a pairing.

I really only see 2 options for the defense when Muzz returns:

Option 1: (What I prefer)
Reilly - Lybushkin
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano- Liljigren
Holl

Option 2: (what is more likely)
Rielly - Lybuskin
Giordano - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Liljegren

I know you posted earlier that you were sick of seeing Lybushkin with Rielly, but I just don't see it the same way. They have been largely excellent together. In fact from an analytic perspective they've done better than Rielly - Brodie at even strength, which matches the "eye test" for me. They have been great.

Brodie and Gio is a combo that has obvious history of working. But there has also been a long gap since they've played together. So who knows what it would look like in 2022. My gut is saying there is about 1% chance that it wouldn't work again. Both of these guys are so strong defensively and have incredible hockey IQ. There is almost zero reason to think it shouldn't work, the only concern I'd have is can Gio lug 20+ minutes consistently game over game against the oppositions best lines? I personally think he's better off on a bottom pairing and getting 18 mins and exposing weaker competition. We know him and Lilly is a flat out dominant pairing in that role. Seems kind of foolish to break them up TBH.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This should be a good one.

Lets see how we matchup against the defending Champs.

68 games and 93 points each, doesn't get any tighter than that, as the winner jumps to 2nd in the Atlantic by themselves.

Reactions: riffle

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Are we analyzing which team blocks better tonight :sarcasm:

My money is on Gio and Lil to have most blocks as a pair i.e best blocking skill pair

Reactions: AvroArrow

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Are we analyzing which team blocks better tonight :sarcasm:

My money is on Gio and Lil to have most blocks as a pair i.e best blocking skill pair

I hope they are blocking more shots...that means we had more shot attempts and our shot attempts are usually good because we don't let our D's just rip it from anywhere.

Reactions: DraftSchmaft

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
i like it but the issue there is that Boosh really needs a mobile puckmover beside him imo. him and Muzz i'm not sure would work.
Very likely, but I’d like to see Keefe at least experiment a little with that pair as our third unit. If it works, it could be a really good physical shut down pair.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I hope they are blocking more shots...that means we had more shot attempts and our shot attempts are usually good because we don't let our D's just rip it from anywhere.
haha I know, just poking fun at todays morning topic while at the same time complimenting one of the current best pairs in the league.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

I'm honestly in favor of running 7 D for the playoffs. The blue line has been way too good for me to wanna sit anyone, penalties/injuries etc. will happen in the playoffs, Holl as the 7th dressed D wouldn't be a bad idea.

Rielly - Lyubushkin
Muzzin - Brodie
Giordano - Liljregren
Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad