GDT: Leafs vs Habs-Sep 9th- 3:00

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You're clueless, they needed two teams, Babs even said he kept more than he wanted, Lol didn't even dress because he was placeholder, not a serious threat to make the team. That's the fact, whether your revisionism can handle it, not my problem. I was bang on last camp, deal.
So he was kept because of needing 2 teams, and not because of schedule, good we agree.

PS: I have maintained Lilly needs some time in the AHL, and maybe even another year.

In regards to my shot at Marner, I will PM you.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So he was kept because of needing 2 teams, and not because of schedule, good we agree.

PS: I have maintained Lilly needs some time in the AHL, and maybe even another year.

In regards to my shot at Marner, I will PM you.
Or don't :)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So far it looks like it should either be Piccinich or Ferguson for the last spot on the Marlies. Ferguson was quiet yesterday, but he was good at all other junctures and none of his competitors really did more to go ahead of him. Piccinich took some penalties but he was always engaged and made smart plays all of the time. Plus he played some good PK. I would be willing to put him out there on the Marlies 4th line regularly based on his play in these games.

The rest of the AHL contracts should be in the ECHL to start. They'll need a strong AHL camp to change anything IMO.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Dubas on recency bias:

I've seen a lot of hate thrown towards Lilly (and to a lesser extent a lot of love thrown to SDA). Keep in mind these kids are coming off a summer break without a training camp, and it is ONLY 2 GAMES! Just because one player played poorly (or even amazing) shouldn't mean a lot.

At most, at least for me, I look at the players who played well (SDA) and I will follow them a little more closely this upcoming season

A good saying that Babcock uses is catch them doing it right.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Anywhere to rewatch the games? Missed both and really want to see them

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
@diceman934 is the poster that coached Elynuik's brother.

Was mentioning yesterday that if Elynuik could add some edge to his game, he would be very effective.

I don't think we should write this kid off on one bad hit.
He had one fight in 4 years of Jr and he knows his path to the NHL is with a more physical approach. Not sure what happened as I did not watch the game as i am not home. If he made a bad hit it is a sign that he is going to bring a physical approach and may have a future. I have yet to see him skate but if his skating is at the level needed and he can bring a physical approach we may have lucked into a gift.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Seriously. I only see the video posted above but it sure looked like the Hab player was bailing out on the hit rather then use the boards to take the hit.

If someone has a better video I would like to see it. Kid is not a goon 100%

That's honestly what I saw. Ya he touched him but there was no crosscheck

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Dont understand the love for Lilly...he handles the puck like a grenade and looks like he'd rather play forward...I'm way more impressed with Sandin...best dman by far
Are you sure you watched the game? He was our best d-man, and transitions the puck beautifully.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Missed both games but it's nice to hear the positives. Names that were dropped were names that I'm really excited about going forward

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
zachary bouthillier was excellent today. Big goalie who showed good anticipation, flexibility and reflexes.

SDA needs to ween the high risk plays out if his game. Clearly he has good vision and he has potential based on hockey sense and vision.

Zummack is under sized but has excellent hockey sense, he made some plays that got people off guard, he was always in good position.

Elynuik is an interesting prospect, that hit was cheap. He has some potential to be a pro.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So far it looks like it should either be Piccinich or Ferguson for the last spot on the Marlies. Ferguson was quiet yesterday, but he was good at all other junctures and none of his competitors really did more to go ahead of him. Piccinich took some penalties but he was always engaged and made smart plays all of the time. Plus he played some good PK. I would be willing to put him out there on the Marlies 4th line regularly based on his play in these games.

The rest of the AHL contracts should be in the ECHL to start. They'll need a strong AHL camp to change anything IMO.
What's your guess at the Marlies opening night roster right now?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

**** the Habs

This is what I fear will happen to Leaf players this year without any team toughness.. In this game Nielsen answered the bell.

I thought Grundstrom was going to be the best Leafs prospect in this event and he did come through on the scoresheet. He is the only one from this tourney with a chance at a Leafs roster spot.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It would have happened regardless. Nielsen "answering the bell" did nothing.

Many would disagree (the Habs did something after the hit on their player). Some push back is needed or every Tom, Dick and Harry will feel a foot taller playing against the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Many would disagree (the Habs did something after the hit on their player). Some push back is needed or every Tom, Dick and Harry will feel a foot taller playing against the Leafs.

Leafs threw some hits too though? That's how the thing started in the first place, where our player sent someone on a stretcher.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Habs coaches comments after the hits.. Link : https://www.tsn.ca/habs-tyszka-stretchered-off-ice-after-hit-1.1170156

What angered Bouchard, coach of Montreal's American Hockey League affiliate, was that his players didn't stand up for Evans or Tyszka. Ottawa's Jonathan Aspirot and Toronto's Hudson Elynuik skated away without reproach from a Canadiens player.

"We didn't do anything both times," said Bouchard. "Enough is enough. I gave them a chance the first time, now they're going to learn. The guys on the ice, nobody went to see the other team. Unacceptable. My players were warned.

"I'm not asking for my players to fight, but you have to stand up for one another. This is the Montreal Canadiens. I'm not promoting violence, but we're not going to get walked all over either."

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad