GDT: Leafs vs Habs-Sep 9th- 3:00

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Dont understand the love for Lilly...he handles the puck like a grenade and looks like he'd rather play forward...I'm way more impressed with Sandin...best dman by far
I'm in the same camp, not just based on these exhibition games but my viewings of him last season. He's still a high-end prospect with some borderline elite attributes, but I much prefer the Dermott/Sandin mold and think the latter will have a better NHL career.

His decision making absolutely is an issue, as is his risk mitigation. If you think Gardiner is mistake prone, watch Liljegren. I'm not sure these are fixable with Tim.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I wouldn't call anyone a steal right now, guys like Dzierkals and a great rookie camp at first as well, but things didn't pan out for him.

It's really hard to make the NHL, but I'm liking the pick so far as well.
Dzierkals can make atleast 5-6 NHL teams right now if he was given the chance. Shitty for him, he's stuck behind a ton of players on the depth chart and the Leafs are refusing to move him. I agree with what you are saying in that it is too early to put labels on players right now but Dzierkals is a bad example. Nielsen if you wanna use as an example, I would agree with you.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
SDA looks like a steal. Tremendous hockey IQ and amazing hands. Keep in mind he's the youngest player drafted in 2018 and still only 17. Sandin is incredibly poised and a better skater than advertised. Bracco with elite vision. Liljegren makes some risky plays but skates so well he can recover. Stotts and Grundstrom look like solid future middle grinders. Brooks with a solid all around game although he lacks explosiveness. Bouthillier solid in net.

Curious question.

If you had a choice between drafting SDA or Kotkaniemi in the first round who would you draft?
Kotkaniemi still. he's very smart and has a great shot. his skating is bad though and he didn't look noticeable. he should be able to at least make an impact against other rookies. SDA still has things to work on too, but I really like what I see in him

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Dzierkals can make atleast 5-6 NHL teams right now if he was given the chance. ****ty for him, he's stuck behind a ton of players on the depth chart and the Leafs are refusing to move him. I agree with what you are saying in that it is too early to put labels on players right now but Dzierkals is a bad example. Nielsen if you wanna use as an example, I would agree with you.

I don't know if Dzierkals could make any NHL team right now, but I wouldn't write him off down the road. He has good tools.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I'm in the same camp, not just based on these exhibition games but my viewings of him last season. He's still a high-end prospect with some borderline elite attributes, but I much prefer the Dermott/Sandin mold and think the latter will have a better NHL career.

His decision making absolutely is an issue, as is his risk mitigation. If you think Gardiner is mistake prone, watch Liljegren.

Except that Liljegren played extremely well in the AHL playoff run with the Marlies last spring. My take is that he was toying with the other guys in this tournament.

We should wait for the main camp before passing any judgements.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Kotkaniemi still. he's very smart and has a great shot. his skating is bad though and he didn't look noticeable. he should be able to at least make an impact against other rookies. SDA still has things to work on too, but I really like what I see in him
The biggest advantage SDA has over Kotka right now is that he's so far down the depth chart for us, he's almost an afterthought. He will have all the time in the world to work on his game and develop. If we can hit on him however, he would be a phenomenal replacement down the line for a guy like Bracco/ Grundstrom when they price themselves out of town.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Liljegren has two things that he needs to work on:

1) His shot, whether its the wrist/snap or the slapper, I never expect it to go in going back to the WJC and AHL season last year. His shot is very "dart" like, where it seems quick and accurate but it it's always hitting a player or getting saved by the goalie.

2) When to use his flare, and when not to. I'm all for him experimenting what he can do and who he can do it against, so this will come with time. Not a huge gripe.

Other than that he was fantastic in the two games.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Except that Liljegren played extremely well in the AHL playoff run with the Marlies last spring. My take is that he was toying with the other guys in this tournament.

We should wait for the main camp before passing any judgements.
I wouldn't say "extremely well"; he was solid, but those same things I pointed out above hindered him in the playoffs too.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I don't know if Dzierkals could make any NHL team right now, but I wouldn't write him off down the road. He has good tools.
I would put money down that if he was Habs property, he would be in line to crack that roster this year. He also wouldn't have wasted his time in the ECHL last year with the Habs either.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

His decision making absolutely is an issue, as is his risk mitigation. If you think Gardiner is mistake prone, watch Liljegren. I'm not sure these are fixable with Tim.
Lil is fine if you take the long view. Some people hype every pass he makes, which I don't get, but I recall last year a lot of people actually thought he was going to get a long look at camp, he barely played. Still excited long term, and a rookie tourney is a joke to extrapolate from.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Liljegren has two things that he needs to work on:

1) His shot, whether its the wrist/snap or the slapper, I never expect it to go in going back to the WJC and AHL season last year. His shot is very "dart" like, where it seems quick and accurate but it it's always hitting a player or getting saved by the goalie.

2) When to use his flare, and when not to. I'm all for him experimenting what he can do and who he can do it against, so this will come with time. Not a huge gripe.

Other than that he was fantastic in the two games.

Last year he played extremely conservatively with the Marlies. To the point where he wouldn't take any offensive risks. This year in these 2 games, you can see his offensive creativity and risk taking tendencies. He has been excellent at reading the plays and leading the rush into the attacking zone. The reason he's looked bad and chasing the plays back on 2 on 1s or breakaways (on two occasions) is because his D-partner had no idea what Lilly is trying to do. So not only does Lilly take the puck up the ice, he's also chasing it back in his own zone. Erik Karlsson when he first broke into the NHL used to do the same stuff and he still does to this day. Lucky for Karlsson, for the past few years, he's had very good D-partners who cover up for his shitty D. As for the shot, I agree 100%. If Timmy wants to be the next EK tier player he has to work on his shot. Some players have the natural talent of sneaking shots through from anywhere. Timmeh doesn't seem to have that natural talent.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

This is also wrong.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
But he handles the puck like a grenade, and people hype up every pass:sarcasm:
You guys kill me, have you every seen a more wide open neutral zone in your life. Omg he skated and there was nobody around, lol. Anyways...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lil is fine if you take the long view. Some people hype every pass he makes, which I don't get, but I recall last year a lot of people actually thought he was going to get a long look at camp, he barely played. Still excited long term, and a rookie tourney is a joke to extrapolate from.
No they dont. People hype up everything Marner does but you wouldnt mention that now would you?
I also remember you saying he wouldnt get a long look at camp, he stayed the entire camp. Also that he shouldnt play because their was no chance of him making the team, yet he played in 2 games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No they dont. People hype up everything Marner does but you wouldnt mention that now would you?
I also remember you saying he wouldnt get a long look at camp, he stayed the entire camp. Also that he shouldnt play because their was no chance of him making the team, yet he played in 2 games.
Oh please go look back last year, I was bang on! You clowns said he would play 4-5 games, he only stayed because of the schedule, they didn't even dress him. Geezus h, the revisionism is funny. Anyways, love the kid, just needs time, like I've said since day one and it's proving to be true, unlike, well...

And your irrelevant Marner swipe says way more about your amateurism than anything I could.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You guys kill me, have you every seen a more wide open neutral zone in your life. Omg he skated and there was nobody around, lol. Anyways...

Oh please, if it was a different player, people would say the same thing. Nylander, Marner do this play and people get excited. Stop trying to say its only because Lilly did it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
SDA looks like a steal. Tremendous hockey IQ and amazing hands. Keep in mind he's the youngest player drafted in 2018 and still only 17. Sandin is incredibly poised and a better skater than advertised. Bracco with elite vision. Liljegren makes some risky plays but skates so well he can recover. Stotts and Grundstrom look like solid future middle grinders. Brooks with a solid all around game although he lacks explosiveness. Bouthillier solid in net.

Curious question.

If you had a choice between drafting SDA or Kotkaniemi in the first round who would you draft?

Kotkaniemi no question, but I'm happy with the value of SDA in the 3rd.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Oh please go look back last year, I was bang on! You clowns said he would play 4-5 games, he only stayed because of the schedule, they didn't even dress him. Geezus h, the revisionism is funny. Anyways, love the kid, just needs time, like I've said since day one and it's proving to be true, unlike, well...
And your Marner swipe says way more about your amateurism than anything I could.

Lol it was the schedule, thats why other guys were cut well before him, oh wait.

If you dont like I went after Marner, then I will say other players do it, and people hype that too. Stop downgrading a nice play by Lilly

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Oh please, if it was a different player, people would say the same thing. Nylander, Marner do this play and people get excited. Stop trying to say its only because Lilly did it.
I take nothing from that play, from anyone, except indicative of why you shouldn't get carried away watching kids play pond hockey. Cheers.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Dubas on recency bias:

Dubas said:
"We have the trade deadline coming up on Monday," Dubas said. "You're in a discussion with another team and they say, 'We want Player X from you,' and we say, 'OK, what are you going to give us?' And they say, 'We'll give you prospect A, B or C, and a fourth-round pick.'
"The initial reaction is to open the floodgates unleash our scouts and they rush to, pick an AHL city, Binghamton, they go to see the Binghamton Senators to watch prospects A, B and C, and they say, 'Prospect B was great, prospect C was terrible, and prospect A was just OK.'
"So immediately our discussion shifts to prospect B. We're eliminating hundreds of games that we've scouted of these players and many data points that we have and we're putting it on one game on Feb. 23, 2015 when we've watched this player for four or five years."

I've seen a lot of hate thrown towards Lilly (and to a lesser extent a lot of love thrown to SDA). Keep in mind these kids are coming off a summer break without a training camp, and it is ONLY 2 GAMES! Just because one player played poorly (or even amazing) shouldn't mean a lot.

At most, at least for me, I look at the players who played well (SDA) and I will follow them a little more closely this upcoming season

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lol it was the schedule, thats why other guys were cut well before him, oh wait.
You're clueless, they needed two teams, Babs even said he kept more than he wanted, Lol didn't even dress because he was placeholder, not a serious threat to make the team. That's the fact, whether your revisionism can handle it, not my problem. I was bang on last camp, deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad