Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flames Wed Dec 6 @ 7:30 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
suppose that happens then how would one convince babcock that it should be Polak in pressbox instead of Borg

Don't know the likelihood of us acquiring a d-man (and whether or not Bozak would be the return), but I believe Borgman's been a lineup fixture since winning the competition with Rosen. Polak and Carrick has been the recent battle of sorts. I think any acquisition replaces Polak/Carrick in the lineup, and one would have to go either directly in that possible trade, or a different deal, in the event a forward isn't what we give up.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When they need a placeholder for a player they know will play, they use someone off the lineup. Change as little as possible.

I'm thinking that Babcock might actually be interested in tossing that line out on home games where he can control the matchups.

Reactions: Not My Tempo

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
they go back to marleau as you have already said. nylander being good at C has no bearing on trading bozak

Bozak will be gone maybe this year if not re-signed, his contract ends this year, if Nylander does well they can see if they want to re-sign Bozak or let him go either in a trade or just release him. but if you have someone ready to step into the job, these decisions are going to help you determine a lot of things.

1/ You have a replacement if Nylander does well.
2/ If Nylander doesn't do well a center will have o be found.
3/ If Nylander doesn't do well as a center, this year he needs to be re-signed and his value will likely be determined if he can play both positions at this level, if he can his value would be higher than only being a R/Wr.
4/ If Nylander wants too much (which seems to be a trend right now) The Leafs have options like a Bridge contract or possibly a trade.

If people think I want to trade Nylander, I don't, I want him to succeed but remember any player can be traded.

This probably will be resolved by Bozak's return and things go back to the norm but I would like to see what Nylander can do at center.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Bozak will be gone maybe this year if not re-signed, his contract ends this year, if Nylander does well they can see if they want to re-sign Bozak or let him go either in a trade or just release him. but if you have someone ready to step into the job, these decisions are going to help you determine a lot of things.

1/ You have a replacement if Nylander does well.
2/ If Nylander doesn't do well a center will have o be found.
3/ If Nylander doesn't do well as a center, this year he needs to be re-signed and his value will likely be determined if he can play both positions at this level, if he can his value would be higher than only being a R/Wr.
4/ If Nylander wants too much (which seems to be a trend right now) The Leafs have options like a Bridge contract or possibly a trade.

If people think I want to trade Nylander, I don't, I want him to succeed but remember any player can be traded.

This probably will be resolved by Bozak's return and things go back to the norm but I would like to see what Nylander can do at center.

as do most people. You are jumping to conclusions in saying if bozak doesn't do well at C he will be traded, of course anyone could be traded. They will likely sign a 3C in UFA or trade for one before moving Nylander

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The whole quote:

Was it his penalty killing ability that mainly precipitated Polak getting back into the lineup?
Babcock
:
All we do is put the players in and if everything goes good and you keep playing good, you just keep playing. If not and you need a change, you put a guy in. If he does a good job, he’s in. Polie is a big, heavy guy. He plays safe and the coach plays him. That is a big part of it, too. If you feel safe with a guy out on the ice and you’re willing to play him, a guy is more likely to play.
Mike Babcock on Roman Polak: "If you feel safe with a guy out on the ice and you're willing to play him, a guy is more likely to play" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

So play "good" and keep playing eh? Ok......

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
as do most people. You are jumping to conclusions in saying if bozak doesn't do well at C he will be traded, of course anyone could be traded. They will likely sign a 3C in UFA or trade for one before moving Nylander

You could be right but who knows, I was just giving a what if scenario and you mentioned good asset management knowing who can do what, helps determine where you proceed for next year, or even this year if a player you want becomes available.

I think we are on the same page..

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

This quote got me thinking about Gardiner-Zaitsev and even Borgman-Polak/Carrick. How many times a game do these two pairing spend 10 second passing back and forth waiting for a lane to open up and then try a misguided stretch pass to ice the puck? Feels like it happens twice a game for each pairing.

Reactions: PromisedLand

member 262271

Not sure I could find a single person who is fine with Polak's continual deployment. I'd like to see Justin Holl given a chance too honestly, he's been a real good soldier. Of course my eyes lit right up at JVR Nylander Marner but I expect that to not be an actual thing.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not sure I could find a single person who is fine with Polak's continual deployment. I'd like to see Justin Holl given a chance too honestly, he's been a real good soldier. Of course my eyes lit right up at JVR Nylander Marner but I expect that to not be an actual thing.
no I assume Nylander is a placeholder for Bozak and then Nylander or Brown will take Leivo's spot

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
I like having Polak in the lineup, he adds some toughness to an otherwise wimpy, easily abused defense (aside from Hainsey).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If Babcock hates Carrick so much he should bring up holl or dermott. His reliance on polak is getting stupid

or you know. leave our prospect players in the minors so they can have consistent game play when they are ready to come up they are up the end.

Reactions: egd27

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There's actually been some support for Polak in the analytics community. Apparently, Polak has produced pretty good xGF% ratings so far.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Holl isn't a kid Daisy, he is basically what he is now so playing him on the bottom pair wouldn't be an issue

ah. i see. thanks Kiwi. (but i think it still remains what i said re: Dermott. there's way too much, just bring him up.). pft. nah. he can stay down there.

member 262271

There's actually been some support for Polak in the analytics community. Apparently, Polak has produced pretty good xGF% ratings so far.
I suppose I could see it, I'm not gonna pretend the guy brings nothing to the table - if so then I'd be rabble rabbling with the rest of Babcock's detractors.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ah. i see. thanks Kiwi. (but i think it still remains what i said re: Dermott. there's way too much, just bring him up.). pft. nah. he can stay down there.

I agree with you on Dermott Daisy

That kid is way to important to us to be jerked around going up and down, top pair minutes with Liljegren on the Marlies is exactly what he needs

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Such vitriole over Babcocks lines. He's only human, like me or you, he puts his pants on one leg at a time. Except once his pants are on, he wins Stanley Cups and Olympic Gold medals.

Reactions: Rogie and egd27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad