Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flames Wed Dec 6 @ 7:30 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The Leafs do have a window, this year they will in theory have vets they won't have next year. Sometimes you just let a player walk and get the experience.

Bad teams unload at the deadline and we're just not that bad of a team.

You can also collect assets this year and play guys like Kapanen Leivo Soshnikov after the TDL to set up next season with the bonus of having the assets required to fill the major holes in the off-season

A mini re-tool if you will

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You can also collect assets this year and play guys like Kapanen Leivo Soshnikov after the TDL to set up next season with the bonus of having the assets required to fill the major holes in the off-season

A mini re-tool if you will

I’m okay with either approach but I suspect they don’t unload at the deadline. Time will tell if I’m right or not.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Unfortunately I think we're going for it this season as well, not selling anybody in the off-season was pretty telling imo

My only hope is that if the deadline passes with no moves we all just enjoy the ride. No point lamenting about what might have been in the middle of a playoff run.

I’m guessing that my hopes will be dashed.. :laugh:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
My only hope is that if the deadline passes with no moves we all just enjoy the ride. No point lamenting about what might have been in the middle of a playoff run.

I’m guessing that my hopes will be dashed.. :laugh:

If we get punted early in the playoffs I'm expecting some dissension in the hfboards ranks

I'll be on board but it would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow from an asset management pov

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If we get punted early in the playoffs I'm expecting some dissension in the ranks honestly

I'll be on board but it would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow from an asset management pov

Hey if we wait until we’re out of the playoffs to obsess over what might have been, I’d call that a win.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If we get punted early in the playoffs I'm expecting some dissension in the hfboards ranks

honestly. if there was someone Lou wanted I don't think he'd wait until after the playoffs. he'd get him now. I mean this is the man who fired his coach 8 days before the playoffs. he just doesn't think the same we most of us do lmao

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
honestly. if there was someone Lou wanted I don't think he'd wait until after the playoffs. he'd get him now. I mean this is the man who fired his coach 8 days before the playoffs. he just doesn't think the same we most of us do lmao
Well in this case it’s more of a matter of who he doesn’t want (UFAs)

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Do you think so? :D
72Ade-q1.jpg

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It has to make sense though Daisy

I think the better team building trades are way more likely in the off-season than the TDL

Something minor like a Polak upgrade is doable but getting that top 4 D or potential 3C solution could be problematic in season

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It has to make sense though Daisy

I think the better team building trades are way more likely in the off-season than the TDL

Something minor like a Polak upgrade is doable but getting that top 4 D or potential 3C solution could be problematic in season

well that's what i mean.
i think the year they fired Ftorek is one of the years they won the cup or got darned close but it made ZERO sense at the time. lou works in mysterious ways lol

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
St. Louis sold Shattenkirk and then acquired Schenn (top 12 in scoring) in the next offseason because they had expendable assets to trade, filling a huge hole. Teams that last long have great asset management. I don't think a team should risk it all on 1 year ever, unless it's clear the core is going to need to be rebuilded in the next 1-2 years.

Excellent point. There are a few posters who will call out posters who comment on certain things (losses, Babcock, etc.) and will give them the “patience” lecture. I’m Not seeing now though.

Management says one thing about the process and then does something else. Obviously no plan will ever be set in stone, and fluidity is nice to have, but buying and keeping expiring contracts at the expense of picks and experience for kids is quite literally the opposite of what rebuilding teams do. At the same time rebuilding teams don’t tend to be top ten teams.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
well that's what i mean.
i think the year they fired Ftorek is one of the years they won the cup or got darned close but it made ZERO sense at the time. lou works in mysterious ways lol

He doesn't have the coach firing option this time Daisy and the upgrades we need are going to be expensive at the TDL with multiple bidders who are highly motivated to get there guy (if the "right guy" is even available)

I just don't think we're at the "all in" stage yet like some of the other teams (Tampa Pittsburgh) so I'm not sure how willing we'd be to "win" a bidding war

They did try to deal JVR to the isles...

They didn't in the end though mate, it's going to be a tough sell to the fan base ditching players at the TDL if we're playoffs bound

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They didn't in the end though mate, it's going to be a tough sell to the fan base ditching players at the TDL if we're playoffs bound
Yeah. If they're dealing any of the pending UFA's, the return has to be someone that is gonna play on the NHL team.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Yeah. If they're dealing any of the pending UFA's, the return has to be someone that is gonna play on the NHL team.
No, and no to the tough sell for the fanbase thing. I am a fan and I want them to sell. I think we make it without Bozak and Komarov EASILY. If we lost JVR too then I'd live with it. If we can get 2 seconds for Bozak+ Komarov
I'm laughing and so glad we sold. would rather have one or two more servicable players on elc down the line once mnm are in their primes

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No, and no to the tough sell for the fanbase thing. I am a fan and I want them to sell. I think we make it without Bozak and Komarov EASILY. If we lost JVR too then I'd live with it. If we can get 2 seconds for Bozak+ Komarov
I'm laughing and so glad we sold. would rather have one or two more servicable players on elc down the line once mnm are in their primes
And how exactly would you sell that to the players in the dressing room?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And how exactly would you sell that to the players in the dressing room?

Tell them it's a sign of faith. I have faith that we're a strong team with or without these non-core players and I would assume the players feel the same. That said, I wouldn't trade Bozak and Komarov for a couple of 2nds, I would much rather take the middle ground of trading JVR for a package that includes a 1st and keep the others, sort of a middle ground that keeps everyone happy. But if they decide to move all 3, I could live with that too. ;)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
St. Louis sold Shattenkirk and then acquired Schenn (top 12 in scoring) in the next offseason because they had expendable assets to trade, filling a huge hole. Teams that last long have great asset management. I don't think a team should risk it all on 1 year ever, unless it's clear the core is going to need to be rebuilded in the next 1-2 years.

Shattenkirk was an exception. It was clear they would not be able to sign him. What have the Blues won in their 50+ years of existence? A better example are the Hawks and Kings. Were they sellers at TDL? How have they done in the past 10 years ?

What do you think the Leafs can get for their UFAs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad