Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I got bad feeling about this one, alright?
1MgI4V.gif

Reactions: ToneDog

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
OT losses in the playoffs count as losses and games down in a series.

If you struggle 3-3 OT in regular season when you have an advantage, then playing 5v5 OT would favour the other team with more players on the ice to balance out the cap more.

Hi Mess, we already see the team play 5v5 all the time! You don't need to make up illogical hypotheticals that our 3v3 OT struggles will be even worse at 5v5, you can just watch literally any game and see how our team plays at 5v5.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Hi Mess, we already see the team play 5v5 all the time! You don't need to make up illogical hypotheticals that our 3v3 OT struggles will be even worse at 5v5, you can just watch literally any game and see how our team plays at 5v5.
Hey now, that would mean they lose their false narrative. Cant have that happen

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its amazing the Leafs have 3 of the top 5 highest cap hit paid players in the game and they lead the league win 3-3 OT losses with 5.

This should be the time the Leafs have the greatest advantage offensively.

Matthews, Tavaraes, Marner, Nylander = 40.5 million
Leafs are 18th in the NHL in goals for this season.
- ranked in the bottom half

Huge head scratcher how your team is built. I feel for you Leafs fans (mostly), not easy thing to do; to be a Leafs fan.

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
Its amazing the Leafs have 3 of the top 5 highest cap hit paid players in the game and they lead the league win 3-3 OT losses with 5.

This should be the time the Leafs have the greatest advantage offensively.
Can't moneyball hockey.

Things will revert to the norm of Marner and Mathews actually finishing games in OT more consistently.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
What we need is a complete change in the way the bottom six plays.

Essentially the only two guys that can make it work is Kampf and ZAR.
The bottom six should play a grinding physical game so that it throws opponents off because right now it's just everyone plays the exact same way.

I'm assuming Jarnkrok has to stay but the others should be shipped off and bring in some guys that can play this way.

- - jarnkrok
ZAR Kampf -

Get away from the four lines playing possession game and playing a physical dump and chase and grinding behind the net.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
The chances of Hollowell (5'9" 170), Malgin (5'9" 182) , Robertson (5'9" 183), Sandin (5'11" 182) and Mete (5'9" 187) all being successful in the NHL is like playing Lotto 6/49. Size matters. Especially for D, but also for F. These guys are all too small to play regularly in the NHL without injury and/or being overpowered physically. Why are we collecting so many players like this?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why are we still trying this Malgin thing. As in why is he in and out, just waive him already.

He hasn't changed at all besides being a bit more aggressive but there's better options if that's what you need. He's one dimensional high corsi (I think, I never verified his numbers) , and that's it.

Only a you know who team would end up with evgeni malgin as a checking forward :laugh: Can't even say this guy's name any more we need harry potter to come deal with this guy.

Really don't understand the Malgin obsession around here. He's another of those Petan type of player. Will look good once in a while but doesn't really serve the purpose of the 4th liner

We went through this already, play the players you are goign to play in the playoffs. Malgin will look good against the Sens, Habs and Sabres. But in playoffs he'll disappear

We had players like him before with Petan, Brooks and Timashov.

Get Steeves up here, start getting him ready

Reactions: Gilmour1996

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
The leafs's offensive talent is so high like Cali high that they might score 5-7 goals on any given night when all the puzzles strike together sire. So therefore the best leafs strategy is always to score and score more. To beat this game, the propable score would be 3-5 Toronto, where jersey also gets goals against this "weak" D and we just score mo. Our matthews tavares marner Nylander is very able to score 8 on any given sunday 👍
Thank goodness it’s Wednesday than.. they can wait till the weekend to light the lamp…. Please🙏

Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Why don’t we get even more specific?

The leafs under this core are 3-7 in PLAYOFF overtime. 42% winning percentage.

Also, 0-9 in series clinging games.

There is a VERY big problem with this core when it comes to playing under pressure. Everyone needs to stop being in denial about it.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Agreed. However, we are kinda hardpressed with injurie so I guess we gotta make do with what we have. Personally; I'd play trap against the devils and not give them easy entries. As soon as they dump the puck we toss it out. Not stretch pass unless its clean or try to break out b/c Devils' forecheck is good they will have a field day.

Just until we have our D back, for next game (I cannot believe I am saying this LOL) we gotta play Carlyle's system against Devils. Keep them to the outside, hell with corsi. Devils are fast team and it will not be easy against them.

Also, if we can limit our fancy turnovers in all 3 zones, play a simple game that should help. I think Devils may take dumb penalties getting frustrated by not scoring if we keep them to the outside -> reaching with the stick, interference, etc... and then we make the PP count!

Given the Leafs' defense situation this is a game to play trap against Devils and try to cycle the puck as much we can in the offensive zone. Ideally we score often but for this game the main idea would be to keep the puck in their zone as much as possible instead of trading chances with them b/c IMO that won't end well for us. We should trap and look to pounce on devils' mistakes
Youd be better off preventing the forecheck because theres about a 0% chance youre stopping Hischier/Hughes/Bratt/Tatar/Mercer from gaining the zone with a trap

When NJ cant forecheck hard and get stuck on long shifts they cave. Problem is Toronto is missing half their dcore and so the Devils probably wont be hemmed in often at all

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why don’t we get even more specific?

The leafs under this core are 3-7 in PLAYOFF overtime. 42% winning percentage.

Also, 0-9 in series clinging games.

There is a VERY big problem with this core when it comes to playing under pressure. Everyone needs to stop being in denial about it.

Regular season OT is not pressure, no one would think we suddenly became clutch and would cruise through the playoffs if we were winning these 3v3 overtimes

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The chances of Hollowell (5'9" 170), Malgin (5'9" 182) , Robertson (5'9" 183), Sandin (5'11" 182) and Mete (5'9" 187) all being successful in the NHL is like playing Lotto 6/49. Size matters. Especially for D, but also for F. These guys are all too small to play regularly in the NHL without injury and/or being overpowered physically. Why are we collecting so many players like this?

I have a feeling that it's going to get ugly tonight, don't think I'll watch it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad