Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Its amazing the Leafs have 3 of the top 5 highest cap hit paid players in the game and they lead the league win 3-3 OT losses with 5.

This should be the time the Leafs have the greatest advantage offensively.

I think for the first time in their careers, 34, 16 and 88 finally have defence programming etched into their heads ... and they're hesitating just gunning up the boards and making plays now.

Should be all figured out by playoff time.

Should be another good game VS Devils. Lets see if Marner can keep his mickey mouse plays to a minimum and Matthews can adjust his sniper scope

Reactions: geo25 and saltming

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Well they outplayed us in Toronto and now the defense is even less healthy, so outlook is not great.

Murray has been good so far but he'll probably need to be great for this one.

Reactions: Al14

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Friendly Neighbourhood Devils fan here!

What you guys did to offend the hockey gods enough to create that injured list must have been something. That type of bad luck should be statistically impossible!

If the Leafs wanted a gameplan around the Devils it would be making sure to score 1-2 goals in the 1st and then try the weather the storm in the next two periods.

For some reason the Devils have always come off somewhat flat footed in the 1st before turning it on in the next two periods for the last 6+ games.

Hopefully its a fun game to watch, the 1st Oilers game and the last Toronto game was the most entertaining games to me so far this season. The speed that both teams play at is amazing and a great watch.

:cheers:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Why are we still trying this Malgin thing. As in why is he in and out, just waive him already.

He hasn't changed at all besides being a bit more aggressive but there's better options if that's what you need. He's one dimensional high corsi (I think, I never verified his numbers) , and that's it.

Only a you know who team would end up with evgeni malgin as a checking forward :laugh: Can't even say this guy's name any more we need harry potter to come deal with this guy.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Imagine having your players win before you back the money truck up to their door instead of giving them the world before they have won a single round.
this sort of thing is why the Leafs are such a mess and failure
Hockey just caught up to every other sport. Even in hockey most players get paid before they win. This is not a Leafs thing

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Dont understand how Malgin gets scratched whens he's one of our better bottom 6 fwds. ZAR should be taking a seat imo
Because he is not one of our better bottom six players and the eye test confirms it.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Friendly Neighbourhood Devils fan here!

What you guys did to offend the hockey gods enough to create that injured list must have been something. That type of bad luck should be statistically impossible!

If the Leafs wanted a gameplan around the Devils it would be making sure to score 1-2 goals in the 1st and then try the weather the storm in the next two periods.

For some reason the Devils have always come off somewhat flat footed in the 1st before turning it on in the next two periods for the last 6+ games.

Hopefully its a fun game to watch, the 1st Oilers game and the last Toronto game was the most entertaining games to me so far this season. The speed that both teams play at is amazing and a great watch.

:cheers:
The leafs's offensive talent is so high like Cali high that they might score 5-7 goals on any given night when all the puzzles strike together sire. So therefore the best leafs strategy is always to score and score more. To beat this game, the propable score would be 3-5 Toronto, where jersey also gets goals against this "weak" D and we just score mo. Our matthews tavares marner Nylander is very able to score 8 on any given sunday 👍

Reactions: Xirik

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The WHOLE TEAM needs to step up on D... not just the D... and our elite forwards need to kick some ass 5vs5 and we got this.

Simmer is a plug these days, he was good back as a Flyer... now he is a nobody... heck, he can't even bang anymore let alone score.... I wish him well in his retirement.
You believe they waived Simmonds so he could retire? I really doubt that is the case.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Because he is not one of our better bottom six players and the eye test confirms it.
The problem with the eye test is that it's very subjective based on what style of hockey you prefer.

Malgin has done what has been asked of him. He forechecks hard,, tries to play physical, creates the odd scoring chance.

He can easily be replaced though. For 750k it shouldn't be hard

Reactions: Racer88

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
3 forwards and Makar so spread out a little differently.

Right.

But the consensus is you can't win with 4 players eating half your cap.

They won before they got there so it will be interesting moving forward if they remain favourites so they have an extra 2.2m + rise in cap for another player.

Correct but assuming the cap rises to 85 or 86m next year, it will be less than 44.5%. 5% in today cap world gives you a $4+m player. That is huge.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Correct but assuming the cap rises to 85 or 86m next year, it will be less than 44.5%. 5% in today cap world gives you a $4+m player. That is huge.
Well hopefully the Leafs acquire the right 4 million dollar player next year!

Reactions: ToneDog

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Borderline AHL blue line against the hottest team in the league with a high octane offense.

d98524e2-7d06-4150-81b4-baa5f3f4b412.gif
I feel bad for whichever goalie is in net, they are going to get lit up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think for the first time in their careers, 34, 16 and 88 finally have defence programming etched into their heads ... and they're hesitating just gunning up the boards and making plays now.

Should be all figured out by playoff time.

Should be another good game VS Devils. Lets see if Marner can keep his mickey mouse plays to a minimum and Matthews can adjust his sniper scope
OT losses in the playoffs count as losses and games down in a series.

If you struggle 3-3 OT in regular season when you have an advantage, then playing 5v5 OT would favour the other team with more players on the ice to balance out the cap more.

• Haha
Reactions: Auston 316

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
I have a feeling the Leafs win tonight. NJ is way overdue for a loosing streak and the Leafs are way overdue for a winning streak.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Its amazing the Leafs have 3 of the top 5 highest cap hit paid players in the game and they lead the league win 3-3 OT losses with 5.

This should be the time the Leafs have the greatest advantage offensively.
They are too impatient, rush their chances, take low percentage shots.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
There isn't any reason to think that. We still have NHL options on defence. If the goalies do get lit up, it's likely because the goalie wasn't very good.
Theres a big difference between NHL players and top 3 dmen. If there wasn't we wouldn't be paying them as such.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Another friendly Devils fan here. The Devils will probably come out slow and take a few dumb penalties. It's been the game plan pretty much the last 6+ games. Capitalize on those power plays and the streak is over. Smith and Wood just can't stay out of the box lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad