Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Agreed. However, we are kinda hardpressed with injurie so I guess we gotta make do with what we have. Personally; I'd play trap against the devils and not give them easy entries. As soon as they dump the puck we toss it out. Not stretch pass unless its clean or try to break out b/c Devils' forecheck is good they will have a field day.

Just until we have our D back, for next game (I cannot believe I am saying this LOL) we gotta play Carlyle's system against Devils. Keep them to the outside, hell with corsi. Devils are fast team and it will not be easy against them.

Also, if we can limit our fancy turnovers in all 3 zones, play a simple game that should help. I think Devils may take dumb penalties getting frustrated by not scoring if we keep them to the outside -> reaching with the stick, interference, etc... and then we make the PP count!

Given the Leafs' defense situation this is a game to play trap against Devils and try to cycle the puck as much we can in the offensive zone. Ideally we score often but for this game the main idea would be to keep the puck in their zone as much as possible instead of trading chances with them b/c IMO that won't end well for us. We should trap and look to pounce on devils' mistakes
So you're suggesting the Coach adjust the team's style of play to deal with the different conditions they are facing?

Good one. :biglaugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We hear about a few things.. but it's highly probable that we only hear a fraction of the discussions that go on between GM's.
It’s also highly probable that dumping a contract isn’t a very big task.

I still don't follow what waiving Simmonds has to do with contract limit?

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It's amazing how many times you've mentioned this since last night. It's almost as if you have an agenda.
You are right that it gets mentioned a lot but it is central to the issues that the Leafs face. No other team has been or is built like that including the teams that have won the cup,the last 6 years of our first round failures.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
You are right that it gets mentioned a lot but it is central to the issues that the Leafs face. No other team has been or is built like that including the teams that have won the cup,the last 6 years of our first round failures.
The Avs top 4 will be paid 40 million next year. Interesting to see if they stay contenders

Reactions: geo25

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The Avs top 4 will be paid 40 million next year. Interesting to see if they stay contenders
Salary cap could raise by 4 million next year since the escrow might be paid off this season so I'm sure they'll remain contenders. Should be good for us too.

Reactions: Jojalu

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
PoshRealisticCentipede-max-1mb.gif

but srsly plz no

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Looks like Malgin is sitting again while Robertson gets in and Kerfoot moved down the lineup. I've been pretty critical of Malgin in the past but he's been one of our better bottom 6 players this year.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It will be interestin.
pare they all forwards or is that distribution spread out among forward, defence and goaltending

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It will be interestin.
pare they all forwards or is that distribution spread out among forward, defence and goaltending
3 forwards and Makar so spread out a little differently.

Mac 12.6
Makar 9.0
Ranta 9.25
Landy 7.0
------
37.85 (with a SC ring in their back pockets)
Right.

But the consensus is you can't win with 4 players eating half your cap.

They won before they got there so it will be interesting moving forward if they remain favourites.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

Right.

They won before they got there so it will be interesting moving forward if they remain favourites.
I think they'll still be really good. They play in a cupcake conference. They'll probably need another Kadri level 2C to be cup favs imo vs the likes of the Bruins, Bolts, etc but all their star players are paid fairly. You could argue Makar at 9 is an underpayment for what he brings. Rantanen too, he's like a bigger, slightly less productive Marner.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
6. Those injuries mean it’s possible 2018 fourth-rounder Mac Hollowell makes his NHL debut soon. Eight years ago, he was a 12th-round OHL selection by Sault Ste. Marie. That summer, Hollowell travelled a few times a week from his Niagara Falls home to Burlington (for off-ice training) and then Oakville (to skate). No one thought too much of it until they realized he didn’t have a car and was doing it by bus, with all of his equipment. There were people really rooting for him to make it after learning that. No guarantees for Hollowell to make it this far.
Cool story on Hollowell

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Right.

Imagine having your players win before you back the money truck up to their door instead of giving them the world before they have won a single round.
this sort of thing is why the Leafs are such a mess and failure

Reactions: Tobyboy and geo25

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
I feel the Devils might be extending their streak in this one. That being said, if we can play the same as we did vs the Isles, minus the goaltending blunder we might have a chance. Someone is going to have to step up on D and munch some big minutes.
The WHOLE TEAM needs to step up on D... not just the D... and our elite forwards need to kick some ass 5vs5 and we got this.

It’s also highly probable that dumping a contract isn’t a very big task.

I still don't follow what waiving Simmonds has to do with contract limit?
Simmer is a plug these days, he was good back as a Flyer... now he is a nobody... heck, he can't even bang anymore let alone score.... I wish him well in his retirement.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
With sports in general, I always get excited when my teams face adversity - good test to rally around & see what they're all about.

With the Leafs, fearing the worst though - NJD look great, and thought the scoreline didn't reflect the game when they were here last week. Plus with the D injuries... let's see how this goes. Murray's going to be a busy boy.

Last edited:

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Nothing. If the Leafs lose, it was always going to be a tough game. If they win or secure a point, they pulled together without Mo.
Betting odds have the Devils winning... but my gut tells me that the Leafs win this 5-4... possibly in OT 'holy puck boys! learn your 3v3 shit! and Keefe was practicing that today at practice' ... get at me if I nailed this ! lol

With sports in general, I always get excited when my team faces adversity - good test to rally around & see what they're all about.

With the Leafs, fearing the worst though - NJD look great, and thought the scoreline didn't reflect the game when they were here last week. Plus with the D injuries... let's see how this goes. Murray's going to be a busy boy.

That is the thing about this team.. when they face adversity or a top gun team, they come out strong... I have a good feel we win this tomorrow night! Is there a confirmed goalie yet? I know Samsonov is traveling with the team. Murray if I had to guess?

Reactions: Tak7

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
We're going to play surprisingly solid defensive hockey minus our top 3 d only to have the offense let us down. Leafy way to lose.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think they could accept cap hell after their 2022 cup win.

Lindy Ruff made a good comparison between the Devils of this season and the 2005-06 Buffalo Sabres. They definitely have that pack rat mentality.

Reactions: HBK27 and Jojalu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad