Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Coyotes - Matthews 100th Career Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The good thing is that there shouldn't be any underestimating from Matthews. No doubt playing the Coyotes is exciting for him and hopefully the rest of the team is ready to go as well.

The Coyotes aren't good, but yeah you do have to show up against everyone. Just go out there and keep getting points.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Young Auston Matthews growing up in Arizona.

pni0828p2main.jpg
635762015002570983-auston-matthews.jpg

Extra motivation playing against his favourite childhood team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It feels so weird that the Coyotes are the favourite team of our superstar player who is born in California and raised in Arizona. Truly one of a kind player.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
how fitting his 100th game is against the coyotes. he purposely planned it. what upper body injury you say?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
ideally I'd like the Leafs to finish 2nd in the Atlantic and face Ottawa with home ice advantage. The WC team might be Washington and they'd be a bigger challenge

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'd MUCH rather play Washington.

Our overall team speed can really neutralize their skill.

I also dont think they have the kind of forecheck that can really expose our D.

Ottawa plays a much more frustrating style and they play way harder imo then WAS.

Feel pretty comfortable saying we'd beat WAS in the first round this year. Ott? That would be a really tough series.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
imo ottawa is a bigger challenge than the caps. ottawa is solid throughout the entire lineup, the caps are top-heavy, weak defense

Gotta 2nd you on this. The Sens almost made the Cup final last year. They are struggling right now b/c of that trip to Sweden. Picked them and Tampa to finish ahead of the Leafs in the Atlantic. Hope I'm wrong and the Leafs are ahead but the Sens are no joke.

Reactions: carko32

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Gotta 2nd you on this. The Sens almost made the Cup final last year. They are struggling right now b/c of that trip to Sweden. Picked them and Tampa to finish ahead of the Leafs in the Atlantic. Hope I'm wrong and the Leafs are ahead but the Sens are no joke.
absolutely. i picked them 3rd in the division ahead of toronto, but behind tampa and montreal, which looks pretty bad rn

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd MUCH rather play Washington.

Our overall team speed can really neutralize their skill.

I also dont think they have the kind of forecheck that can really expose our D.

Ottawa plays a much more frustrating style and they play way harder imo then WAS.

Feel pretty comfortable saying we'd beat WAS in the first round this year. Ott? That would be a really tough series.
It's a tough call, honestly. Washington has a heavy forecheck and cycle game that our team really does have trouble with. They also have one of the best goalies in the league. I think if we gameplan properly we could use our skill and speed to beat Ottawa

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's a tough call, honestly. Washington has a heavy forecheck and cycle game that our team really does have trouble with. They also have one of the best goalies in the league. I think if we gameplan properly we could use our skill and speed to beat Ottawa

I didnt really see this "heavy forecheck" and we played them 6 games in a row and if anything their roster has declined.

Is this some narative because Ovechkin will lay big hits here and there?

You'd think by calling them this heavy forecheck, cycle team they would be perfectly suited for the playoffs.

If anything I think their team is soft.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I didnt really see this "heavy forecheck" and we played them 6 games in a row and if anything there roster has declined.

Is this some narative because Ovechkin will lay big hits here and there?

You'd think by calling them this heavy forecheck, cycle team they would be perfectly suited for the playoffs.

If anything I think their team is soft.
they cycled in our zone with ease sometimes. For the record I think we'd beat Washington and Ottawa, but Washington might be more of a threat

WWB

Jun 30, 2010
Ontario
Martin-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Nylander
Hyman-Marleau-Brown
Van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Moore

These lines Babs went to last night may not be perfect, but I liked them better than our usual lineup.

If he keeps these lines he can sub out Moore for Leivo/Sosh and improve the lineup a little more.

Reactions: carko32

weems

Jul 3, 2008
they cycled in our zone with ease sometimes. For the record I think we'd beat Washington and Ottawa, but Washington might be more of a threat

Sometimes doesnt say much especially because we arent exactly the epitome of defensive excellence.
Many teams will be able to cycle against us in our own zone. What I didnt see in that series with them was a overwhelming amount of willingness to do WHATEVER it takes to win.
They didnt have a ferocious forecheck. They really didnt make Andersen all that uncomfortable by alott of net drive.
To me their a skilled team that had blueline that could move the puck and a good goalie.
I actually think our speed and talent would show thru amazingly in a series played against WAS this season.

Maybe I'm off but just never really been that scared by Washington.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Matthews is going to be pumped and the team has to win this game for him - I wish he can get a hat trick in this game

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Martin-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Nylander
Hyman-Marleau-Brown
Van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Moore

These lines Babs went to last night may not be perfect, but I liked them better than our usual lineup.
I would swap JVR for Martin and swap Moore for either Sosh/Leivo. Dynamite.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs possession game has kind of dipped since Matthews was out. Hope they can regain that as Matthews gets back to 100%.

I don't know what the Leafs are doing differently but they are doing a great job of keeping shots to the outside and keeping the blue paint clean for Andersen during this streak. We all wanted Andersen to be a bit more aggressive against the shooter and he's finally doing that and it's resulted in a complete 180 in his game.

I gotta say, I'd love it if the Leafs go back to the lines we had at the end of the Habs game when we're defending leads.

Marleau with Hyman and Brown is basically three players that Babcock would create in a hockey lab.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don’t know about the JVR-Martin swap but I’m 100% on board with switching out Moore for a younger guy. If Moore isn’t a Centre then someone else more talented should play on the wing.
I'd really like to see what Matthews can do with two skill guys. I'd go:

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Nylander
Hyman - Marleau - Brown
Martin - Bozak - Soshnikov/Leivo

Ideally you trade Komarov for futures and slide Kapanen in there into his spot.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Komarov is the happy medium between Martin and JVR.

If he played with Matthews and Marner some might start to appreciate him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad