Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I haven't seen any commercials that say that, but the NHL does a lot of weird things to simplify for casual fans. Commercials are not what decides what the playoffs are. The NHL put out a press release specifically addressing this question, saying that it was the playoffs. The players are accumulating playoff stats. Team playoff streaks continued, and droughts were ended. Records have been recorded as playoff records. The page on NHL.com specifically about different playoff formats over the years includes the qualifiers. They have a line that specifically says their playoff format features 24 teams, and they have another line that specifically says "The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin with the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers". You literally can't get more straightforward than that. Anybody saying that this isn't the playoffs is flat out wrong.
and again the NHL does weird things to simplify things for casual fans, so your info is about as convincing as mine next, to me the playoffs beging on Tuesday, you can stick with what ever your theory is, to me 16 teams that compete for the cup means playoffs to me, not qualifiers to get into the playoffs

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
and again the NHL does weird things to simplify things for casual fans, so your info is about as convincing as mine lol
No, a commercial or a media headline is not the same thing as the reality of how everything is being recorded, and it's not the same thing as an official statement by the NHL, and it's not the same thing as the official written explanation of the playoff format on records.NHL.com.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
No, a commercial or a media headline is not the same thing as the reality of how everything is being recorded, and it's not the same thing as an official statement by the NHL, and it's not the same thing as the official written explanation of the playoff format on records.NHL.com.
NHL website made for fans as well as commercials yawn

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
NHL website made for fans as well as commercials yawn
The records.NHL.com site is not just a fun time for casual fans. It's the written and detailed explanation of all historical playoff formats. There is no ambiguity. There is no other interpretation. They specifically say it's the playoffs, which is consistent with how everything is being recorded and their official press release and statement regarding this.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
The records.NHL.com site is not just a fun time for casual fans. It's the written and detailed explanation of all historical playoff formats. There is no ambiguity. There is no other interpretation. They specifically say it's the playoffs, which is consistent with how everything is being recorded and their official press release and statement regarding this.
Triggered! lol, to me and some others playoffs begin on Tuesday, you can believe what you want though good luck!

Reactions: ACC1224

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Then you're factually wrong. This is not an opinion thing.
again I look at it Different than you do, I think I can believe what I want, and you can too, some will agree and some will disagree, playoffs start on Tuesday to me, if im factually wrong so be it, but I doubt it, to me if the leafs win Tomorrow they are in the playoffs, if they lose they failed to qualify for the Playoffs its all I really care about, if you think you are right thats good for you

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
again I look at it Different than you do, I think I can believe what I want, and you can too, some will agree and some will disagree, playoffs start on Tuesday to me, if im factually wrong so be it, but I doubt it, to me if the leafs win Tomorrow they are in the playoffs, if they lose they failed to qualify for the Playoffs its all I really care about, if you think you are right thats good for you
Again, it's not a matter of opinion. What you think is irrelevant. The NHL decides. The NHL says it's the playoffs.

The Leafs have made the playoffs. If they win tomorrow, they have a playoff series win.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
winner gets to play tampa without stamkos and potentially without headman
Has there been any clarification about what exactly is wrong with Stamkos, or if he will for sure miss the next round? I thought he had healed from his earlier injury?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Again, it's not a matter of opinion. What you think is irrelevant. The NHL decides. The NHL says it's the playoffs.

The Leafs have made the playoffs. If they win tomorrow, they have a playoff series win.
again I can view it as any way I want too I can really careless, I wont count it as a series win, but an accomplishment none the less

Reactions: ACC1224

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Keefe has done everything Babcock refused to do the past 3 years. Large minutes double shifting his stars and loading a line when youre down. Playing the hot line rather than a preconceived time allotment for each line. In game adjustments.

Its refreshing

Babcock would have sent out 3 skaters for OT cause that's what he's done all season.

Reactions: Tall Morty

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
Reactions: Dekes For Days

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
and again the NHL does weird things to simplify things for casual fans, so your info is about as convincing as mine next, to me the playoffs beging on Tuesday, you can stick with what ever your theory is, to me 16 teams that compete for the cup means playoffs to me, not qualifiers to get into the playoffs

I have no horse in this race, but Dekes for Days argument is obviously considerably stronger.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I have no horse in this race, but Dekes for Days argument is obviously considerably stronger.

I think they're both kinda right.

Dekes is right that all of this is being recorded as effectively the playoffs, with no distinction being made in the record books. So Matthews' 6 points are counted just as same as the points he got against Boston last year for all intents and purposes. Same with team stats.

On the other hand, I get where rubous is coming from. If we lose tomorrow, I won't think 'oh the Leafs got just as far as they did last year'. I'll think that we basically failed to qualify for the playoffs. We took a step back. We didn't lose in round 1. We lost in round 0. It'll be the same to me as not making the playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think they're both kinda right.

Dekes is right that all of this is being recorded as effectively the playoffs, with no distinction being made in the record books. So Matthews' 6 points are counted just as same as the points he got against Boston last year for all intents and purposes. Same with team stats.

On the other hand, I get where rubous is coming from. If we lose tomorrow, I won't think 'oh the Leafs got just as far as they did last year'. I'll think that we basically failed to qualify for the playoffs. We took a step back. We didn't lose in round 1. We lost in round 0. It'll be the same to me as not making the playoffs.
When you look up Auston Matthews stats on a website like HockeyDB, they list what he's done against Columbus in the playoff stat column for the 2019-20 season.

Auston Matthews Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: saffronleaf

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
again I can view it as any way I want too I can really careless, I wont count it as a series win, but an accomplishment none the less
Because of the playoff format this year ALL the stats for the post season are flawed look at Montreal, they've "qualified" for the playoffs and at the time of the pause they were 10 points out with no chance to make the playoffs. No one is going to give series wins or even the Stanley cup "winner" any respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad