Series Talk: Leafs vs CBJ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
See post #1113. You got your answer, despite it being an irrelevant deflection. I see you chose to not provide an answer to my question, as expected.

You said that "It has been referenced as that on hockey sites". Cool story bro, instead of posting a dozen times that you've answered the question when you haven't, why not take a couple of seconds and post a link?

Still waiting for your source on this being "round zero" of the playoffs. Either back up your statement or admit you made it up.

If I didnt know better, it honestly looks like someone that was once close to the team (maybe like a scout or someone in management) that was let go and now holds a insane grudge against the organization.

My guess is that the post below yours is on the right track.

Reactions: weems

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The real question about this series that no one has asked or gave serious consideration to, is whether this is a playoff series or not.

I honestly think that we should talk about this and hear competing arguments, because the answer can be defining to how we all view the play on the ice

Reactions: garce and glue

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The whole playoffs - not playoffs thing is a bit interesting because I read on the boards that one particular team made a trade wayback when and that they would have to give up their 1st round pick if they made the playoffs. However Bettman said that if that team loses the qualifier series then they technically havent made the playoffs and they would be able to keep that 1st round pick instead of giving it to the other team.

So I mean, make of that what you will. Round 0 or Playoff Qualifiers...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The whole playoffs - not playoffs thing is a bit interesting because I read on the boards that one particular team made a trade wayback when and that they would have to give up their 1st round pick if they made the playoffs.
Trade conditions were reviewed separately on a case by case basis because the context in which the conditions were made changed for reasons out of control of both teams.

Reactions: MattySnipes

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Of course the qualifiers/round robin are the playoffs in every practical sense. I understand not technically calling it that for historical stats and any existing deals between teams. In the end though, it is 100% one tournament that results in the cup being awarded so it's the playoffs for me. If any team that had to win a qualifier wins the cup they will get extra props for having to win 5 series this year even if it's not officially recognized.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm sure in 46 pages this has been asked, answered, but...

Do points scored in this round count towards "play off" stats? Ie, will points scored this round get added to the following rounds for total playoff points?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The whole playoffs - not playoffs thing is a bit interesting because I read on the boards that one particular team made a trade wayback when and that they would have to give up their 1st round pick if they made the playoffs. However Bettman said that if that team loses the qualifier series then they technically havent made the playoffs and they would be able to keep that 1st round pick instead of giving it to the other team.

So I mean, make of that what you will. Round 0 or Playoff Qualifiers...

It's funny, the more you dig into it, the more ambiguous it gets. :)

Three hours to go ...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I won't ask why it's so important to you that we call it the playoffs so if that's you want to call it, go right ahead.
I didn't think I'd have to deal with pages and pages of somebody telling the NHL they're wrong about something only the NHL decides. Shouldn't have to justify wanting to be accurate.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't think you "had" to endlessly justify, rather, you "wanted" to endlessly justify.
When I'm being directly replied to, my name is being dragged through the mud, and an individual is making blatantly false claims, statements, and representations of the situation, and more importantly, me, then I'm put in a position where it's important to respond.
read post # 1130 and see what Bettman says, does he not run the NHL or am I missing something?
I see paraphrasing. Not a quote.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
When I'm being directly replied to, my name is being dragged through the mud, and an individual is making blatantly false claims, statements, and representations of the situation, and more importantly, me, then I'm put in a position where it's important to respond.

I trust what @MattySnipes says, very good poster here, who I have no doubt believing his info is 100 percent accurate.....

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer

it's the internet dude. you were not put in a position where it was important to respond.

Something younger folk don't quite appreciate. The internet isn't real. It's just a bunch of airheads speaking out of turn.

There isn't winning or losing conversations.

So much effort from people put into arguing on the internet. Stuff that doesn't mean anything. Even if say, you did convince someone you were right, then what? What does that mean?

A feather in your cap?

A like on some stupid thread?

You are most likely right, but it means nothing. And trust me, someone can spread "deke for days" though the mud all day long, and you (like not internet you, but real you) isn't affected one bit.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
read post # 1130 and see what Bettman says, does he not run the NHL or am I missing something?

Why?? Why?

No. Please nobody read 1130.

And let's talk about how we blew a three goal lead, that's a lot more enjoyable than this.

Reactions: TOCap1

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Pretty sure that for all intents and purposes this is just the playoffs*
They had to add an additional postseason bracket in order to compensate for the pandemic season shortage. Why does it need to be any more complicated than that?
I mean: if the nhl is counting player stats towards their career playoff stats that would have to really weigh the decision on classification.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I trust what @MattySnipes says, very good poster here, who I have no doubt believing his info is 100 percent accurate.....
I haven't found that statement anywhere. Also, technically, the board of governors runs the NHL.
You are most likely right, but it means nothing. And trust me, someone can spread "deke for days" though the mud all day long, and you (like not internet you, but real you) isn't affected one bit.
I'm not affected at all, true, but if I'm on the site anyway doing other stuff and waiting for the game, I'm not sure why I would avoid defending myself and the truth. Nothing on this site means anything, but we're all still here. You making this response to me means nothing, but you still did it. This is a message board. People post things, and there's nothing abnormal about defending the correct position and one's personal character.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I haven't found that statement anywhere. Also, technically, the board of governors runs the NHL.

I'm not affected at all, true, but if I'm on the site anyway doing other stuff and waiting for the game, I'm not sure why I would avoid defending myself and the truth. Nothing on this site means anything, but we're all still here. You making this response to me means nothing, but you still did it. This is a message board. People post things, and there's nothing abnormal about defending the correct position and one's personal character.

maybe the difference is the personal character part.

you think dekes for days is your personal character.

either way, you aren't considering what I'm getting at (and I'm no way insulting you).

Gotta go BBQ some wings before the game.

Cheers,

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
it's the internet dude. you were not put in a position where it was important to respond.

Something younger folk don't quite appreciate. The internet isn't real. It's just a bunch of airheads speaking out of turn.

There isn't winning or losing conversations.

So much effort from people put into arguing on the internet. Stuff that doesn't mean anything. Even if say, you did convince someone you were right, then what? What does that mean?

A feather in your cap?

A like on some stupid thread?

College liberal mentality, can't be happy with your own position unless everyone else is corrected to agree with and validate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->