GDT: Leafs vs Canucks - 9PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The last game against Vancouver was simply embarrassing in execution. Sure, we outplayed them most of the game, but didn't finish well enough, the PP wasn't good enough, and we didn't give the push back when we should have. It was a game that we should have finished them off early, but we let them stay in the game. Killer instinct.

Edit.. also, these untimely neutral ice, lazy pass giveaways... puck possession boys, puck possession.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Keefe should post the "Choke Berries" poll/thread on the white board before the game as motivation.

The message should be not to win it for the hyper-critical, fair-weather fans that plague this team, but to rub it in their faces.

That's funny you think they would be motivated by something like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Understandable.
But I like Rielly on PP2 not PP1.
Think he thrives when the pressure to be "the point guy" is removed. (May be wrong though)
However, my main idea is to spread (TF) out... we bunch up way too much and lose our "man advantage" because 1 guy is covering the "bumper + netfront"

Spread it out, more direct lines to the net and open up options on both sides of the ice = success IMO

Not to mention PP2 deploys a different "cycle" approach... so teams can't just fall back into a shell with our predictable entries and setup

I don’t mind him on PP2 but just not the guy at the top running the umbrella because I feel like the responsibility to cover the whole blueline even on rotation is a bit much for him at this moment.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I hope Rittich gets the start tonight. He's looked much better than Campbell in his first 2 starts for us, and we need to go with the hot hand.

AGREED, rotate the goalies and lets see what we have. Freddy will be back very soon with him being back on the ice.

Goaltending should be a strength based on our depth. Lets use it.

FROM THE ATHLETIC:
Other than Sabourin and Robertson, none of those exceptions apply to anyone currently on the Leafs roster, unless you want to count Andersen under the conditioning loan provision. But to use that, he would need to count against the cap, which doesn’t help us with our riddle here.
“Anyone who was on the roster as of 3 p.m. (on deadline day) is stuck there for the year,” explained one executive from a team outside the Leafs’ division. “They are carrying (their new players) the rest of the way. No way around it.”
The simple answer here is that Andersen is not coming back during the season — and that the Leafs know it. He is skating, however, and multiple sources close to the situation believed prior to the deadline that he was going to be able to return before the playoffs.
Even general manager Kyle Dubas indicated a return was possible on deadline day, after making the last of his four additions.
“I’m convinced that Freddie is going to play for the Leafs for sure,” Dubas said. “Whether it’s in the next number of weeks, or whether it’s in the playoffs. The situation with Fred has really not changed.

Last edited:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON

If Keefe or Dubas, or any player for that matter uses anything at all from here for any purpose other than "see how crazy this fan base is", then they have more problems than just getting out of the first round or scoring on the PP.

Reactions: Azail and egd27

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Kerfoot, Engvall and Mikhaeyev ...... Are just so soft for bottom 6 but they can skate

Thornton and Simmonds has good size, but they can't skate for their lives. Thornton if I am not mistaken has more hits than Simmonds last 5 games(can someone corret me?)

Those who can skate doesn't hit, those may want to hit can't skate

Be honest, which one of these players do you think makes and plays regularly for Tempa Bay, Vegas or even a torn apart Boston?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

I wasn't being serious but I hope the Leafs players not only aren't motivated by anything their fans say or do, they have no idea what their fans say or do.

Reactions: egd27

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Kerfoot, Engvall and Mikhaeyev ...... Are just so soft for bottom 6 but they can skate

Thornton and Simmonds has good size, but they can't skate for their lives. Thornton if I am not mistaken has more hits than Simmonds last 5 games(can someone corret me?)

Those who can skate doesn't hit, those may want to hit can't skate

Be honest, which one of these players do you think makes and plays regularly for Tempa Bay, Vegas or even a torn apart Boston?

I think Simmer and Jumbo will play better come playoffs when things slow down. I also think rolling out Matty, Marner, Nylander, Taveres, Hyman, Foligno, Spezza, Chucky (if he keeps playing well) and even Robertson (if he continues to improve) will give most teams fits.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Oh I see those Willy haters coming out of the bushes with a hard, hard boner. The only one they had in years, finally, it's here, Willy boy, that kid with the hair, made a mistake. Burn him trade him whack him!

i think he missed one last year too

no excuse

team at hotel is in bubble

no excuse

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
i think he missed one last year too

no excuse

team at hotel is in bubble

no excuse

Not that I condone being tardy but I have been late to work many times (before I stared my own business) and never paid a price. I am not sure how much of a lesson this is, and it only makes the team weaker.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
There is quite literally zero reason to believe that this game will be easy or that the Leafs are going to win big. Leafs haven’t done the latter in over a month and I doubt the Canucks are just going to lay down and die.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think Simmer and Jumbo will play better come playoffs when things slow down. I also think rolling out Matty, Marner, Nylander, Taveres, Hyman, Foligno, Spezza, Chucky (if he keeps playing well) and even Robertson (if he continues to improve) will give most teams fits.

When was the last time that actually happened ? I hear this all the time. Come playoffs this player just going to turn it on?

Are these guys modern day versions of Jammie Langenbruner who played better and turned it on during playoffs?

Why didn't it work for Marleau, Boyle or Plekanec ?

Every team has players who they think they are just going to be better in playoffs.

If I am the opposition I would love nothing more of more of Wayne Simmonds and JT

Last 14 playoff games Simmonds has 0 goals and 4 assists. And this is when he was still scoring in this league

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If Holtby keeps standing on his head tonight, might as well shoot the puck at his mask all night...maybe he might dodge and one goes in.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
On one hand I agree that no player should be above the team. Nylander deserves the same punishment as anyone else.

On the other hand, I think that scratching players who miss team meetings is a weird punishment. Less so this year because of the pandemic, but I think it’s unfair to paying fans for a coach to purposely make his team worse. Idk if the CBA allows it, but fining a player their salary for the game would seem more reasonable to me.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Would have liked to see a Joey Anderson call-up with Hyman injured and Mikheyev/Nylander potentially missing this game. Not like he'd miss any Marlie games with the postponements.

See what you have in Robertson, Anderson, Sandin, and Liljegren down the stretch so that your rookies aren't thrown to the wolves when the inevitable injuries happen in the PO's. Joey would add a nice physical/speed dimension to the bottom six.

edit: Sandin in. Perfect timing. You're facing one of the worst teams in the division on a losing skid, mix it up. Bogosian should be the next to sit.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not that I condone being tardy but I have been late to work many times (before I stared my own business) and never paid a price. I am not sure how much of a lesson this is, and it only makes the team weaker.

He's paid $7 million to do a job.

How many of us would sleep at the rink for half of that?

I disagree about this not being much of a lesson. It's a stern lesson for Willy, and also an opportunity for the team to learn more about how he reacts to this as well - it's either an isolated incident that doesn't happen again, or the team realizes he's a bit of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad