GDT: Leafs vs Canucks - 9PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This is very far from the truth. The reason no roster players were traded at the deadline is because of how close they all are.

Nylander was late. He’s being disciplined, he’s human. He’ll man up and apologize, come back and it’ll be forgotten.
What would you consider their identity is. Maybe they are close off the ice but they certainly don’t come to each other’s defence on the ice. The response after The ugly knee on knee was unforgivable

Reactions: stuart5035

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
You're the new PP coach - how do we get outa the funct?

My assessment(from someone who has no experience coaching at all) :

When fully set;

PP1
  • Matthews on his strong side Ala Ovechkin (but deeper in)
  • Nylander on the other side (to spread out the options)
  • Tavares infront of the net (in tight hands are what made him)
  • Marner rover (but with direct lines... not too fancy)
  • Brodie on the point (pucks to the net)
PP2
  • Spezza on the wall (shot options)
  • Foligno down low (cycle options)
  • Galchenyuk on other wall (spread out options)
  • Rielly QB (less stress being off PP1)
  • Simmonds net front
PP1 get alot of time, as it's stacked. But PP2 has ability to jam some home - if given the opportunity

MNMJPK1

2kTWLmg

Last edited:
Reactions: Auston Escobar

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

When healthy;

PP1
PP2
  • Simmonds net front
PP1 get alot of time, as it's stacked. But PP2 has ability to jam some home - if given the opportunity
Keep moving the puck like they did last game on the PP and they'll be fine.

If they go back to Rielly and Marner standing still above the circles they'll continue to struggle.

It's less about personnel and more about decision making and movement at this point.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Really interested to see how this team responds without Hyman to drive the bus of the Leafs attack.

Zach is a glue player that makes every line he plays on better and having his teammates plead that he is a member of their line.

Hyman is Leafs 2nd leading goal scorer behind only Matthews, so his loss and impact will be felt.

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
The lack of response to the Hyman hit is exactly why this team won't win in the playoffs. Dubas is slowly bringing in veteran grittier players but our own draft picks are so soft, the right mix is not there yet, plus we don't draft gritty players. Bummer!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

When healthy;

PP1
PP2
  • Simmonds net front

Our PP must be the softest combined in the league. IMO you need somebody like Hyman that can be strong in the dirty areas and battle for pucks in the corners. Teams defend by forming a tight box in front of their net and try to cover 34 because nobody fears a perimeter shot by any of the other 4. Too bad that Simmonds has been a shell of himself since the injury. Maybe Foligno can help. Nylander, Rielly and Marner should not all be on the same PP with 34 and 91 IMO.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The lack of response to the Hyman hit is exactly why this team won't win in the playoffs. Dubas is slowly bringing in veteran grittier players but our own draft picks are so soft, the right mix is not there yet, plus we don't draft gritty players. Bummer!

Yet some on this board think we need more ballerinas. Don't even talk about drafting one lousy gritty player. Dubas prefers Joe Miller Lites.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Keefe should post the "Choke Berries" poll/thread on the white board before the game as motivation.

The message should be not to win it for the hyper-critical, fair-weather fans that plague this team, but to rub it in their faces.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I've liked Jumbo's game the last few. He's playing more aggressively. I hadn't seen him throw a hit all year. But, he's throwing a few a game now. He seems to be getting more touches on the puck playing this way. Doing that may be keeping him in the lineup.

Reactions: mrbagina

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

When fully set;

PP1
PP2
  • Simmonds net front

MNMJPK1

2kTWLmg

I appreciate the thought process and detail you put into the positions but I have one nitpick. The umbrella formation you show Rielly on for PP1 seems like a formation that would be better suited for a Dman who can really work the point and walk the line and be completely dynamic distributing the puck. With Rielly struggling I’m not sure I feel confident in his ability to field general like that and would be more comfortable if he was on the LD with RD support.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I hope we win this one to get out of this rut. We have a average amount of losses compared to all the other top teams in the league in this condensed schedule and thats with nothing to show for it on the powerplay for ages.

Keefe and coaching staff need to stop focusing on the powerplay because they alway fix themselves. It’s the oldest repeat in the Nhl and teams over burden themselves with it.

Worry about every other part of your game and get the mojo going and feeling good and boom,the PP works again. That’s just the way it goes.

Stop focusing on powerplay it’s a bad negative. You think they would know that with sports by now.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully we start to see our slumbering PP come out of hibernation soon as we approach the playoffs.

It seems opposition coaches have figured the Leafs PP out with their successful PK strategies, but our coaches have not been able to adapt other than to try different combinations of player personnel combination rather than change systematically as it remains to predictable and thus defendable.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
What would you consider their identity is. Maybe they are close off the ice but they certainly don’t come to each other’s defence on the ice. The response after The ugly knee on knee was unforgivable

Would be nice if someone challenges Edler the next time we play and he is in the lineup....It's tough when you watch Jake Gardiner stand-up for a teammate. Alex Killorn is a tough customer and Jake still went after him. Enough with beating them on the scoreboard mantra cause its not working, Our top guys get manhandled/slashed and hit late on the regular and nothing is done.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I appreciate the thought process and detail you put into the positions but I have one nitpick. The umbrella formation you show Rielly on for PP1 seems like a formation that would be better suited for a Dman who can really work the point and walk the line and be completely dynamic distributing the puck. With Rielly struggling I’m not sure I feel confident in his ability to field general like that and would be more comfortable if he was on the LD with RD support.
Understandable.
But I like Rielly on PP2 not PP1.
Think he thrives when the pressure to be "the point guy" is removed. (May be wrong though)
However, my main idea is to spread (TF) out... we bunch up way too much and lose our "man advantage" because 1 guy is covering the "bumper + netfront"

Spread it out, more direct lines to the net and open up options on both sides of the ice = success IMO

Not to mention PP2 deploys a different "cycle" approach... so teams can't just fall back into a shell with our predictable entries and setup

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

When fully set;

PP1
PP2
  • Simmonds net front

MNMJPK1

2kTWLmg

I'd like to see Robertson get some PP opportunities. He's got a great shot, and getting one on the PP, might be what gives him the confidence he needs, to take a step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad