Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Canadiens | Sat. March 1st, 2014 | 7pm EST, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Yep, need Orr/Mclaren, Bodie, Clarkson to step up and Gleason+Phaneuf if reinforcements needed.

Gleason is as tough as they come, but I cringe when I see him fight. Hopefully our Captain will take on any necessary physical role on D....and not just with the smurfs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If we ice a soft line up, we will pay for it tomorrow. But I have faith in Carlyle. He will not Wilson us tomorrow night, Kessel, JVR, Phaneuf, Kadri, Bozak, Raymond, and most importantly Bernier will have protection dressed. Habs will run Bernier, I can just call it now.

Mar 26, 2010
If we play anything close to last game we are going to get smashed! Bernier has to be better too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly don't even recall the last time we won a fight this season. Maybe Clarkson against Polak in that brutal game against St Louis.

Kyle Doobas*

I honestly don't even recall the last time we won a fight this season. Maybe Clarkson against Polak in that brutal game against St Louis.
According to DropYourGloves.com, that actually is the last fight we've won. Early December. And we lead the league in fighting majors. :laugh:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Gleason is as tough as they come, but I cringe when I see him fight. Hopefully our Captain will take on any necessary physical role on D....and not just with the smurfs.

Why do you cringe? He's a decent fighter. Gave Lucic a run for his money in the past. He got dropped by Boulton but Boulton is a goon.

Last edited:

Tucker316*

Habs have who for toughness? Parros, Murray, Tinordi, Prust, White, Moen...Weise I guess will run around and we know Subban, Emelin, and Gallagher will probably try something. The bottom 6 and D are pretty tough. I would have to think the Leafs might want to counter cuz if not they are actually out gunned.

Delicious Dangles*

You're delusional. Here's a link. ESPN gamecast. Click on the picture and you will see exactly where every shot was taken from. 33-22 was the shot count which of course in itself is almost meaningless. But when you see where every single shot was taken from you see that most NYI shots were clustered in prime scoring areas. And as the picture shows, NYI had 2-3 quality chances from prime scoring area for every 1 we had.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400485130

Amazing how many delusional homers there are on this board. We got outplayed so badly. Sure Bernier was to blame for a couple of goals but overall, with average goaltending we give up 7-8 goals. And you call it a total fluke. :laugh: I wonder if guys like you even watch the games. I mean, how can anyone watch that pathetic performance last night where Bernier stole a point for us and say not only that we didn't get outplayed, but say it was total fluke we lost? Just incredible.

I love this site. It comes in handy when people like you stick to the usual homer mantra - we got outshot but that doesn't mean anything, we keep the shots to the outside ... I've had a few conversations like this and when people see the pictures they don't quite know what to say.
Actually, the shot count was 35-22, so you're already off to a bad start. Despite this, it was neck and neck up until halfway through the 3rd period.

Funny how you reference game maps THIS time. I've never seen YOU use it before, but I have seen them used plenty of times. And more often than not this season, Leafs are on the winning end of the "prime scoring chances" race.

This of course trusts ESPN, the laughing stock of the hockey world, to accurately place every shot and goal (which even at first glance doesn't look right based on where the goals were scored), and that each "point blank scoring chance" comes with an equal chance to score. This also trusts the NYI stat guy, the second laughing stock of the hockey world, to accurately record shots in the first place.

It seems curious that nearly all of the in-close shots that the NYI had came in the 3rd period (like, 11), when those of us that watched the game know this isn't true (NYI stat guy probably recorded a shot for every whack at Bernier while he had the puck LOL), and when the Leafs still outscored the NYI 3-2 in that period.

But assuming we are going with trusting these people, I am willing to admit that while the goals were still incredibly flukey and most of those in-close chances were not "prime scoring chances" except in distance to the net, and they barely got any until the 3rd period, they got more close-up chances (though not 3:1 lmao) than I gave them credit for.

This is of course only under the condition that you agree to trusting these shot maps, and therefore admit that Leafs have outplayed their opponent on a regular basis this season.

I also think that this game proves that even Bernier is affected by inexperience, so there goes that other theory of yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebel111*

This will be a tough game IMO. Habs still are a pretty speedy team and our D needs to be prepared for that.
I really want to beat these pretenders. Cant stand losing to them

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This will be a tough game IMO. Habs still are a pretty speedy team and our D needs to be prepared for that.
I really want to beat these pretenders. Cant stand losing to them

Losing to the arch rival Habs on HNIC ruins the entire weekend.

Nothing better than beating them on the ice and in the alley.

Lets hope this story has a happy ending.

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
On my way to Montreal for this game as I write this message. First time watching a game in Montreal. A big win tonight would really make it a memorable one!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 1m
Asked if the Leafs could go deep in the playoffs without improving defensively Jonathan Bernier responded, "I personally don't think so..."

I really like how Bernier really doesn't pull any punches.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow! Honesty.

truthfully, Bernie is one of those guys I think who won't really hide behind the canned answers. he's quick to blame himself, when it's his fault, but the team's defensive play [as a team, not just the defense] isn't the greatest. However, I remember the year when we swept Ottawa, we were just as brutal, and then we had the best PK in the playoffs, and very limited goals against.

So I do feel that the play can change - but that was a more older/veteran team.

the fact that Bernie has also won a cup with a defense-first minded team he knows of what he speaks.

Kyle Doobas*

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 1m
Asked if the Leafs could go deep in the playoffs without improving defensively Jonathan Bernier responded, "I personally don't think so..."
Paging Dr. Nonis, a reminder that Mr. TML has an appointment on Wednesday to have his Franson, Lupul and Raymond removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bernier's right. We may get to the second round, but without improving our defense, we won't go further.

Pretty pumped Bob Cole is announcing the game tonight. Should make a great atmosphere.

Peter Holland back in? Nice!

James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffery Lupul - Nazem Kadri - David Clarkson
Mason Raymond - Peter Holland - Nikolai Kulemin
Troy Bodie - Jay McClement - Trevor Smith

Carl Gunnersson - Dion Phaneuf
Tim Gleason - Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner - Cody Franson

Jon Bernier

Assuming these are the lines for tonight

Leafs Life Hockey*

3 goals allowed per game.

If this is not Ron Wilson hockey, I don't know what is. Bernier is correct.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Bernier's right. We may get to the second round, but without improving our defense, we won't go further.

Pretty pumped Bob Cole is announcing the game tonight. Should make a great atmosphere.

Peter Holland back in? Nice!

James van Reimsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Phil Kessel
Joffery Lupul - Nazem Kadri - David Clarkson
Mason Raymond - Peter Holland - Nikolai Kulemin
Troy Bodie - Jay McClement - Trevor Smith

Carl Gunnersson - Dion Phaneuf
Tim Gleason - Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner - Cody Franson

Jon Bernier

Assuming these are the lines for tonight

That's the best non-Bolland line up we could possibly ice. But i'm sure Bodie or Smith or both will be replaced by McLaren and Orr.

Bodie, Gleason, Clarkson could all fight if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad