GDT: Leafs vs Blues Saturday night showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Interesting how the guy ranked no.1 in 5v5 shot attempts by share% isn't a need according to people here, only a luxury to what we already have :sarcasm:

I mean he's one of 3 actual NHLers on that team, I sure hope he's getting a massive share of the shots playing 20+ minutes.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Interesting how the guy ranked no.1 in 5v5 shot attempts by share% isn't a need according to people here, only a luxury to what we already have :sarcasm:

Why would you want defensemen to be taking a large share of your shot attempts?

Its a good thing that we limit those and let forwards take them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Or maybe the people who watch leafs games have lost all perspective.

You can't say a team that has a top 10 offense is playing the most boring games and you certainly can't say it recently with the blowing leads that's not how it works.

Boring teams don't have top 10 offenses

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You can't say a team that has a top 10 offense is playing the most boring games and you certainly can't say it recently with the blowing leads that's not how it works.

Boring teams don't have top 10 offenses

When a team consistently gets ahead early thanks to that great offense, and then almost always hold on and cruises to victory thanKS to good defense, you have yourself a boringly great squad.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Why would you want defensemen to be taking a large share of your shot attempts?

Its a good thing that we limit those and let forwards take them.
Are you seriously suggesting it's fine that our D can't generate unblocked shot attempts? Yes it's a % metric but an issue we actually face nonetheless.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Are you seriously suggesting it's fine that our D can't generate unblocked shot attempts? Yes it's a % metric but an issue we actually face nonetheless.

I'm saying when I see a chart showing our forwards take a higher percentage of shot attempts than anyone else my reaction is "good," not "we need the defenseman who takes 1/3 of his teams shot attempts while being a ~6% shooter for his career"

Reactions: GrizzLeaf and zeke

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I mean he's one of 3 actual NHLers on that team, I sure hope he's getting a massive share of the shots playing 20+ minutes.

We need D that can get unblocked shot attempts through. What does it matter how many NHLers their team has? If he can get them through for Arizona he'll get them through for us. He'll get more shot attempts here than he does in Arizona (edit: As in if he can keep getting them through we unlock a part of the offence we currently lack).

Last edited:

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I'm saying when I see a chart showing our forwards take a higher percentage of shot attempts than anyone else my reaction is "good," not "we need the defenseman who takes 1/3 of his teams shot attempts while being a ~6% shooter for his career"
Like I said the chart is for unblocked shot attempts, something we have an issue with from the backend. It's pretty straight forward why a guy like Chychrun becomes a need based on some of our deficiencies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
We need D that can get unblocked shot attempts through. What does it matter how many NHLers their team has? If he can get them through for Arizona he'll get them through for us. He'll get more shot attempts here than he does in Arizona (edit: As in if he can keep getting them through we unlock a part of the offence we currently lack).

The Leafs very clearly structure their game to get the highest percentage looks. Our d generally only shoot as a last resort, which likely artificially lowers their numbers. Chychrun would not change that, in fact he would likely see his unblocked shot attempts drop in our system.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Crazy man playoffs are going to be nuts this year, let’s hope we have some fans in our building
No fans in the playoffs would be disastrous. Imagine going up against a hyped up Boston crowd but when you come home it's completely empty

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
The Leafs very clearly structure their game to get the highest percentage looks. Our d generally only shoot as a last resort, which likely artificially lowers their numbers. Chychrun would not change that, in fact he would likely see his unblocked shot attempts drop in our system.
None of our D have shots so it's not like they're going to structure their game around shots from the backend. I'm not sure how you conclude his unblocked shot attempts will drop (which indirectly means his shots will drop)? Why would the Leafs remain static in their structure when they finally add a D that can get shots through (When he's on the ice that is)?

Scion

May 25, 2012
None of our D have shots so it's not like they're going to structure their game around shots from the backend. I'm not sure how you conclude his unblocked shot attempts will drop (which indirectly means his shots will drop)? Why would the Leafs remain static in their structure when they finally add a D that can get shots through (When he's on the ice that is)?

Dude... The Leafs are last in shot attempts from their D because they prioritize higher percentage shots from their forwards, not because of their D personnel. This isn't difficult. Whether or not you think that is an effective strategy in the playoffs is the real question.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Dude... The Leafs are last in shot attempts from their D because they prioritize higher percentage shots from their forwards. This isn't difficult. Whether or not you think that is an effective strategy in the playoffs is the real question.

Dude....why would the Leafs continue this strategy if they add Chych to the lineup is what I'm saying. He adds a dynamic we currently lack. They can continue their current strategy....PLUS do more. This isn't difficult. We become harder to defend and can run more plays if we add him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dude....why would the Leafs continue this strategy if they add Chych to the lineup is what I'm saying. He adds a dynamic we currently lack. They can continue their current strategy....PLUS do more. This isn't difficult. We become harder to defend and can run more plays if we add him.
why would they change their strategy to generate more point shots? Point shots are the worst form of offense, and are more likely to lead to an odd man rush against than a goal

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty sure I have the lines right:

Screenshot_20220115-141508_Sheets.jpg

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
why would they change their strategy to generate more point shots? Point shots are the worst form of offense, and are more likely to lead to an odd man rush against than a goal

There's an interesting debate to be had here though tbh - there may be certain types of blueline shots (and/or there may be effects of blueline threats on defensed) that get underrated by xgf models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad