GDT: Leafs v Flames - Just win. I don't care how

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's not literally a must win but it is a must win because you need to avoid full blown panic.

Agreed.

If not for Matthews recent OT heroics, the Leafs would be on a 7 game losing streak right now, and the last time that happened Leafs Nation woke up and we had a new coach, as drastic measure were taken to avoid further panic and stop the bleeding.

If the Leafs don't get this ship turned around soon, that concern is not going to be coming externally from just fans and the media, but internally with management as well as the pressure will mount on and off the ice.

Hopefully we can just write this off as a few bad weeks and we change the momentum and have it going in the right direction again soon.

Reactions: Dirty Sanchez

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This game to me, is what is going to seal Andersons fate. If the boys come out and just bleed dominance, that's gonna tell me something that I kinda don't want to know...

Regardless of Campbell's performance, if the boys come out and play like this is an elimination game, the team has gave up on Freddy...

I see a win tonight regardless but im curious how the boys are gonna play the full 60.
I thought the team has played well in front of Andersen. He’s a pretty popular teammate who I doubt very much they’ve given up on.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought the team has played well in front of Andersen. He’s a pretty popular teammate who I doubt very much they’ve given up on.

Overall the results have not been there, but the team itself is not playing all that poorly, they're simply not getting a save when they need one and our opposition despite being outplayed seems to have their goalie come up big when needed to secure the win.

Sometimes its not about how many saves you make, but rather when you make them, that makes all the difference.

DarenX

Sep 21, 2019
I agree, what I'm saying is, if they come out and play their hearts out... that's not a good look.

I have noticed this team can still look to dominate play while matching opponents pace or even just below it.

When Jack has been in net, to me, it just seems like they are going that extra mile.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Ebbs and flows. This team will figure it out. No longer worried about the Presidents trophy race. Just come top four. True measure happens after that. Expecting a big win tonight. Flames playing 5 in 8. Leafs well rested. No excuses.

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021

Best of luck, from a Habs fan, we need you guys to win as well... The Flames are catchin up and I dont like it... WIN TONGIHT LEAFS... WINNNNN

Reactions: meng666

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Ebbs and flows. This team will figure it out. No longer worried about the Presidents trophy race. Just come top four. True measure happens after that. Expecting a big win tonight. Flames playing 5 in 8. Leafs well rested. No excuses.

Ebbs and flows is right.

Since the Leafs swept Oilers in big time fashion recently, the Leafs have lost 6 of their next 7 games, while the Oilers rebounded from their beat-down by winning 6 of their next 8 games thereafter, some in big time fashion and now sharing the Div lead.

Holly momentum swings Batman !!!!.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Campbell is in net, easy win. Predicting 4-1 leafs. Not worried about weak floaters from the point getting past him. If Campbell plays like his normal self, Keefe needs to start using him as our regular starter. There's absolutely no reason to give Freddy anymore games unless it's a back to back or injuries.

Reactions: Carltons Cup

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ebbs and flows is right.

Since the Leafs swept Oilers in big time fashion recently, the Leafs have lost 6 of their next 7 games, while the Oilers rebounded from their beat-down by winning 6 of their next 8 games thereafter, some in big time fashion and now sharing the Div lead.

Holly momentum swings Batman !!!!.

The worst part is, we were the better team in 5 of those 7 games. Better team with beer league goaltending.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The worst part is, we were the better team in 5 of those 7 games. Better team with beer league goaltending.

The silver lining is that we're losing to all the weakest non playoff teams of the CDN Div Ottawa, Vancouver and Calgary for the majority of those losses, so it doesn't really matter all that much. :wg:

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
Prediction - Soup has a number of good games and falters once and they put Fred back in saying he is healed. Lather, rinse, repeat exit in the playoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not sure why but I'm expecting Campbell to have 2-3 quality chances against early. That'll make or break this season IMO

Hoping I'm just feeling overly dramatic today

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

We can blame Andersen all we want and I agree that he sucks and could have easily stolen a couple of those wins but why is nobody mentioning how our offense has completely dried up since the last Edmonton win.

Where has our $40 million 4-man club gone to, yeah they'll score a goal here and there but not when we need it, just like last night and against the Sens. Those 4 star players have a total combined 8 goals in those 7 games (that's usually Matthews numbers alone). Our Pk and PP have totally dried up and is the cause of most of those 6 close loses. Last nights loss cannot be blamed on fatigue as that excuse was used in the Sens loss.

My only thought is that they are intentionally losing for now so they don't win the Presidents trophy as that trophy winner rarely wins the cup.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Hope jack gets more starts immediately after this regardless of how well he plays in his first game back from injury.
Agreed. Even if Campbell has a so-so game tonight but the Leafs win, I think you go back to Campbell Thursday night against Ottawa.

Reactions: Confucius and zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We can blame Andersen all we want and I agree that he sucks and could have easily stolen a couple of those wins but why is nobody mentioning how our offense has completely dried up since the last Edmonton win.

Where has our $40 million 4-man club gone to, yeah they'll score a goal here and there but not when we need it, just like last night and against the Sens. Those 4 star players have a total combined 8 goals in those 7 games (that's usually Matthews numbers alone). Our Pk and PP have totally dried up and is the cause of most of those 6 close loses. Last nights loss cannot be blamed on fatigue as that excuse was used in the Sens loss.

My only thought is that they are intentionally losing for now so they don't win the Presidents trophy as that trophy winner rarely wins the cup.

They've scored 3 goals per game in the last 5.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
162961705_10221641045590248_6346943618974971812_n.jpg

Campbell is the starter now. Andersen can kick rocks.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
They've scored 3 goals per game in the last 5.
They've also outshot their opponents in 6 of the last 7 games and have scored at least 3 goals in 4 of those games.

If Fredrik Andersen wasn't Fredrik Lets-it-in, they win 3 or 4 of the 7 games.

Reactions: zeke

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Woke up with a smile on my face.

Campbell is back.

This team can get goaltending it deserves. Yes, deserves.

This team deserves far better than 1-6 in the last 7 with the way they’ve played. Over a 60% xGF% and having that record is quite something and has to be disappointing for the players.

We haven’t played perfect, obviously, but should be 4-3 at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad