Eklund Rumor: Leafs Trouba

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Chevy EVER wanted to trade him...still doesn't. It all depends on whether Trouba wants to stay or not, i don't know either way....but I'm sure Chevy does.

I don't know anything about the rumours that Trouba wants to return to the USA. Really I think that stuff is overplayed at times.

I do know, he is ready for a bigger role on the Jets D which is what I think he wants. From my observations Trouba and Morrisey are the Jets best D men right now. Buff is overrated IMO, at times I think he helps the Jets, at times he hurts them. A mixed bag.

IMO when Myers comes back, I would deal Buff over any of the other 3. Trouba if he continues his fine play of late is ready to anchor the Jets D. And this would make him untouchable for me.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I have been following Trouba's game of late, and if I see it. I am sure Chevy sees it too.

Trouba has taken a big step fwd in his last couple of games. He has been the Jets best D man. He and Morrisey look great on different pairings.

If I were a betting man, he is not going anywhere now. The kid is starting to look like the stud #1 defender he was at the WJC.

He's just 22, and this is the time D men start to blossom. Close to untouchable to me barring a gross overpayment.

One would think that Chevy has a clear cut idea of what Trouba wants to stay or go. If Trouba stays then i think they will try and reach a long term deal this coming summer. If Trouba still wants out the door then Chevy will probably try and move him in a year or so.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don't know anything about the rumours that Trouba wants to return to the USA. Really I think that stuff is overplayed at times.

I do know, he is ready for a bigger role on the Jets D which is what I think he wants. From my observations Trouba and Morrisey are the Jets best D men right now. Buff is overrated IMO, at times I think he helps the Jets, at times he hurts them. A mixed bag.

IMO when Myers comes back, I would deal Buff over any of the other 3. Trouba if he continues his fine play of late is ready to anchor the Jets D. And this would make him untouchable for me.

I totally agree. The only thing that leads anyone to wonder about his long term in the Peg is that when interviewed, he continually made it a point to mention his dedication to the Jets for the "term of his contract"...so 2 years. This isn't me putting on my tinfoil hat, i hope the Jets sign him long term...i hate when teams commit to a young player and then the player demands out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I totally agree. The only thing that leads anyone to wonder about his long term in the Peg is that when interviewed, he continually made it a point to mention his dedication to the Jets for the "term of his contract"...so 2 years. This isn't me putting on my tinfoil hat, i hope the Jets sign him long term...i hate when teams commit to a young player and then the player demands out.

One would think that Chevy has a clear cut idea of what Trouba wants to stay or go. If Trouba stays then i think they will try and reach a long term deal this coming summer. If Trouba still wants out the door then Chevy will probably try and move him in a year or so.

That's the question, does he really want to leave? My experience tells me, players usually want to leave because of a lack of opportunity or the team is going downhill with no future prospect of winning.

I don't see this for Trouba with the Jets. Now if Myers and Buff are still here after the season. I think there is a possibility one will be moved.

For the life of me, I can't see Trouba being the one they want to move. He fits in with the other young players on this team where when they all peak, The Jets may be something special in this league.

One may Say alot of things about Chevy, unintelligent is not one of them from what I have observed.

And I say that with a qualifier, he will be smarter to add a quality Goalie.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Trouba played over 28 min 5v5 in last night’s win, and it wasn’t even an OT game. He was over 30min altogether. Buff “only” played 24:49.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I have been following Trouba's game of late, and if I see it. I am sure Chevy sees it too.

Trouba has taken a big step fwd in his last couple of games. He has been the Jets best D man. He and Morrisey look great on different pairings.

If I were a betting man, he is not going anywhere now. The kid is starting to look like the stud #1 defender he was at the WJC.

He's just 22, and this is the time D men start to blossom. Close to untouchable to me barring a gross overpayment.

I hope that either

A) He's content now that he's getting big minutes on his strong side meaning that he will sign a long term contract here

B) Should A fail, a gigantic dump truck of money changes his mind

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
That's the question, does he really want to leave? My experience tells me, players usually want to leave because of a lack of opportunity or the team is going downhill with no future prospect of winning.

I don't see this for Trouba with the Jets. Now if Myers and Buff are still here after the season. I think there is a possibility one will be moved.

For the life of me, I can't see Trouba being the one they want to move. He fits in with the other young players on this team where when they all peak, The Jets may be something special in this league.

One may Say alot of things about Chevy, unintelligent is not one of them from what I have observed.

And I say that with a qualifier, he will be smarter to add a quality Goalie.

I will lose all faith in this organization if they give Myers time over Trouba. It would be the absolute dumbest thing they could do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hope that either

A) He's content now that he's getting big minutes on his strong side meaning that he will sign a long term contract here

B) Should A fail, a gigantic dump truck of money changes his mind

Trouba played 30:16 mins last night and he ate the mins like a monster. I think we can end this trade speculation. I am sure any team will want him, not just the Leafs. The Jets know what they have. It will take something drastic to make them deal him like Marner or Matthews. And this is not going to happen we know this.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Trouba played 30:16 mins last night and he ate the mins like a monster. I think we can end this trade speculation. I am sure any team will want him, not just the Leafs. The Jets know what they have. It will take something drastic to make them deal him like Marner or Matthews. And this is not going to happen we know this.

Please take it back. There's only one player in the league the Leafs would trade Matthews for and it's not Jacob Trouba.

I agree with everything else you've written, though.

Especially about Cheveldayoff being effectively unwilling to trade him. The vast, vast majority of GMs would have said 'well, I don't want to but I have to trade him'. I think this is what happens when an outright untouchable asks out.

I really hope that opportunity and the aforementioned dumptruck full of money entice him to stay. I agree that the Jets have something nice brewing (all drafting from 'no mans land'--imagine that!).

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nope doubt Nylander gets you Hanifin.

And getting Hanifin and losing Trouba would be a major downgrade for Winnipeg.

The Leafs are the clear winner here, Carolina and Winnipeg not so much.

There's a thread on Nylander for Hanifin, the sentiment seems to be anywhere from Leafs need to add a 2nd to Canes need to add something small, with some fans on both sides thinking they're the team that needs to add. Seems like no one feels it's a bad 1-for-1 type arrangement

The Hanifin-Trouba component for Winnipeg I haven't seen, but the Nylander-Hanifin component seems to have passed the smell test in a vaccuum

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Please take it back. There's only one player in the league the Leafs would trade Matthews for and it's not Jacob Trouba.

Especially about Cheveldayoff being effectively unwilling to trade him. The vast, vast majority of GMs would have said 'well, I don't want to but I have to trade him'. I think this is what happens when an outright untouchable asks out.

I really hope that opportunity and the aforementioned dumptruck full of money entice him to stay. I agree that the Jets have something nice brewing (all drafting from 'no mans land'--imagine that!).

Agreed

Matthews is a complete non starter, he's far to valuable to the Leafs.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
There's a thread on Nylander for Hanifin, the sentiment seems to be anywhere from Leafs need to add a 2nd to Canes need to add something small, with some fans on both sides thinking they're the team that needs to add. Seems like no one feels it's a bad 1-for-1 type arrangement

The Hanifin-Trouba component for Winnipeg I haven't seen, but the Nylander-Hanifin component seems to have passed the smell test in a vaccuum

Hanifin for Trouba is not going to cut it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I obviously meant that for effect as I don't think Leafs are dealing Marner or Matthews anytime soon. This is why we see so many Nylander trade threads. He is the logical move, however, he is not as highly thought of as those 2.

You got my point, with the way Trouba is playing now. Let's think about this. Over 30 mins last night! That's a monster performance in the biggest game of the year for Winnipeg, a 4 pointer. The Jets are not moving him, barring a massive overpayment. This was the point I was making.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This clown. At least it's guaranteed he won't be a leaf now, 1 less team to speculate about

Leaf/Jets fans have done a great job keeping this thread civil up to now......post constructive comments or don't bother posting. None of us (Leafs or Jets fans) want this thread to become about mud slinging. No one is insulting any Leaf players......please keep it civil.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Leaf/Jets fans have done a great job keeping this thread civil up to now......post constructive comments or don't bother posting. None of us (Leafs or Jets fans) want this thread to become about mud slinging. No one is insulting any Leaf players......please keep it civil.

I think he meant Eklund is the clown haha

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg

I think he's talking about Eklund.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Fair enough, that's where the disconnect in that 3 way is then. Feels like the disparity could go away, but with Trouba making it as a full time top pairing guy it seems fair at this juncture

I agree that the disparity could, perhaps one day, disappear but at the moment it is huge.

The apples and oranges of comparing a defenceman to a forward can create some wiggle room, but when you look at the two defencemen side by side it is stark.

Hanifin's play bottom pairing minutes and isn't putting up all that many points, at least at even strength. Trouba is playing top pairing minutes and is putting up big ES minutes. If Hanifin were competently handling 2nd pairing minutes (say 20-21 minutes a night) and scoring at a slightly better rate, I think there could be something palatable around him (at least in the world where Trouba holding out/demanding a trade is a concern).

Even in Trouba's rookie season he was handling more, and more difficult, minutes than Hanifin is currently. Doesn't mean the gap won't close some day, but it is way too much of a risk for the Jets.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I agree that the disparity could, perhaps one day, disappear but at the moment it is huge.

The apples and oranges of comparing a defenceman to a forward can create some wiggle room, but when you look at the two defencemen side by side it is stark.

Hanifin's play bottom pairing minutes and isn't putting up all that many points, at least at even strength. Trouba is playing top pairing minutes and is putting up big ES minutes. If Hanifin were competently handling 2nd pairing minutes (say 20-21 minutes a night) and scoring at a slightly better rate, I think there could be something palatable around him (at least in the world where Trouba holding out/demanding a trade is a concern).

Even in Trouba's rookie season he was handling more, and more difficult, minutes than Hanifin is currently. Doesn't mean the gap won't close some day, but it is way too much of a risk for the Jets.

Ya, that's fair, the Trouba saga has taken a turn for the better and I'd want to hang on too

I think Hanifin will put it together and be a top unit LHD before too long, but there are no guarantees and it might be a few years even if it happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad