Eklund Rumor: Leafs Trouba

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trouba has really stepped up his game of late. Has been the Jets best defenceman without a doubt in the last couple of games IMO. If he is traded, which I doubt. The Jets are not going to let him go cheaply.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If the Jets ever trade Trouba, I can't see how they can do it without getting a young top pairing guy back...would cripple the team if they did not.

We are so thin on defence...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the Jets ever trade Trouba, I can't see how they can do it without getting a young top pairing guy back...would cripple the team if they did not.

If I were the GM I would trade Buff before I trade Trouba. He's getting to the point of being untouchable if he continues to play like this.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Agreed Winter Soldier...agreed.

If Trouba is dealt because he wants it...two mega stud d prospects would need to come back if a one to one can''t be done...Lord knows what that would look like..

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If I were the GM I would trade Buff before I trade Trouba. He's getting to the point of being untouchable if he continues to play like this.

The list of players I would trade Trouba for one for one is very small.....easy #1D and complete stud.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
TSN radio today (find it in tsn), Button claims the Leafs would trade Nylander in a second for Trouba....but the Jets wouldn't be interested in Nylander. Interesting

Button also speculated Nylander won't be a Leaf by end of next season.

I don't want anything to do with a Nylander for Trouba type of deal. Nylander would be on the Jets 3rd line (behind Wheeler and Laine), and the Jets have a ton of offensive wingers in the system. Besides, Trouba would return a lot more than Nylander if he were traded.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We need a sticky at the top of the forum saying "Jets and Leafs make bad trading partners". I haven't seen a single one that works, but the same no-go's keep getting repeated.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't want anything to do with a Nylander for Trouba type of deal. Nylander would be on the Jets 3rd line (behind Wheeler and Laine), and the Jets have a ton of offensive wingers in the system. Besides, Trouba would return a lot more than Nylander if he were traded.

Agreed......IMO if any trade was made involving Trouba for Nylander+ would require the Jets belief that Nylander could become a C at the NHL level which is certainly a big question mark. His coach words and actions would suggest he can't or isn't ready yet. Guys on TSN believe he likely can't make at C either. Can't see the Jets trading Wheeler (captain) to make room for Nylander. As it stands Nylander would be our 3rd line winger which is a waste.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
TSN radio today (find it in tsn), Button claims the Leafs would trade Nylander in a second for Trouba....but the Jets wouldn't be interested in Nylander. Interesting

Button also speculated Nylander won't be a Leaf by end of next season.

Button is correct in claiming the Leafs would do that trade without blinking.

The Jets would decline that proposal equally as fast.

As for the speculation I presume it is based on him thinking Nylander is traded for a dman.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Define young.

In hockey terms 27 isn't young and that age would easily work if the player had term and was at the requisite talent level.

Trouba's value is really really high, a lot of posters have diminished it over the years but they were/are wrong and his value isn't lessening.

Anyone thinking that IF Trouba was traded and that Chevy wouldn't get what he wanted is delusional. He has no reason to accept anything less than what he would feel was a trade bettering his team.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'd do jvr, nielsen/Dermott, Kapanen and an unprotected 1st. I think the guy is overrated but watching the leafs blueline without Rielly is abysmal, we need to get dmen from everywhere and Trouba would be a step in the right direction.

For people who have read several of your posts (during the hold out) this is the equivalent of a love fest for Trouba. Atomos2 then says Trouba is a 3.5 out of 10. Atomos2 today loving Jacob like an 8 of 10. This is a massive turn around.

Trouba does deserve credit for getting his point production turned around. Some PP time and a steady Enstrom to help out instead of the boat anchor named Stuart.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Unless a Jets fan can chime in, Trouba has not rescinded his trade demand. He would have done so publicly just like what Hamonic did. He still wants out, and will be traded. Until that happens, he will be a distraction.

His agent and him both said the trade demand was rescinded the day he signed. https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/jacob-trouba-ends-stalemate-with-jets-rescinds-trade-request
That's one of many links to the stories after the signing.

He was very careful with his language in only speaking about this contract. Basically saying and doing all the right things. So the Jets are not out of the woods but he has rescinded the demand (at least for now).

The hope is that his role and success and the potential of the team next year will give him some reasons to stay.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
To Carolina: nylander

To Toronto: trouba

To Winnipeg: Hanifin

Everyone's happy!

Not Jets.... that is a massive downgrade.....

I bet Leafs are happy, so you can trade Hanefin for Nylander and keep Jets out...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not Jets.... that is a massive downgrade.....

I bet Leafs are happy, so you can trade Hanefin for Nylander and keep Jets out...

Nylander doesn't get either Hanifin or Trouba - not even close.

Hanifin doesn't get Trouba, but that's a bit closer.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

We have one winger spot in the too six that hasn't really been solidified, but yeah, skilled wingers is not a need for the Jets, especially factoring high skill prospects ike Connor playing in the A.

I hope the Jets secure Trouba long-term. He's earned his position on the right side and the minutes he is getting. If that was truly the issue, I would think that has been solved.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have been following Trouba's game of late, and if I see it. I am sure Chevy sees it too.

Trouba has taken a big step fwd in his last couple of games. He has been the Jets best D man. He and Morrisey look great on different pairings.

If I were a betting man, he is not going anywhere now. The kid is starting to look like the stud #1 defender he was at the WJC.

He's just 22, and this is the time D men start to blossom. Close to untouchable to me barring a gross overpayment.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I have been following Trouba's game of late, and if I see it. I am sure Chevy sees it too.

Trouba has taken a big step fwd in his last couple of games. He has been the Jets best D man. He and Morrisey look great on different pairings.

If I were a betting man, he is not going anywhere now. The kid is starting to look like the stud #1 defender he was at the WJC.

He's just 22, and this is the time D men start to blossom. Close to untouchable to me barring a gross overpayment.

I don't think Chevy EVER wanted to trade him...still doesn't. It all depends on whether Trouba wants to stay or not, i don't know either way....but I'm sure Chevy does.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think Chevy EVER wanted to trade him...still doesn't. It all depends on whether Trouba wants to stay or not, i don't know either way....but I'm sure Chevy does.

Agree 100%

Chevy knows if he has a chance to sign him or not. Nothing regarding a contract can be done until July at the earliest. If he's traded before July, we can all assume Chevy knew there was no chance of a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad