Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Beck, Finn, Gibson, Nilsson and Verhaeghe for Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
With Sparks getting called up I suddenly wondered what happened to Gibson and revisited this trade.

Truly about clearing contracts that the new management doesn't see a future in. Pretty interesting trade. Looks like most of the players the Leafs sent the other way didn't even crack the Islanders AHL affiliate. Gibson and Beck have AHL jobs though. The other guys are in ECHL or overseas it seems.

Verhaege is PPG in the ECHL. Nothing that we'll miss, but he probably deservers to be called up to the AHL.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Taylor Beck ony 0.67 ppg in the AHL.
Gibson is .917 in the AHL.
Nilsson is .33ppg in SEL.
Finn is 0.25ppg in the AHL.
Verhaeghe is 0ppg in the AHL and 1ppg in the ECHL.

The only guy worth anything of that group is Gibson.

Grabner has looked good on the PK, at least.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If I have this right, Nilsson is no longer affiliated with the Islanders or any NHL club.

In the end this looks like a whole lot of nothing for nothing, likely inconsequential for both sides.

I am interested to see how Verhaeghe progresses, though he might just be another McKegg.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
If I have this right, Nilsson is no longer affiliated with the Islanders or any NHL club.

In the end this looks like a whole lot of nothing for nothing, likely inconsequential for both sides.

I am interested to see how Verhaeghe progresses, though he might just be another McKegg.

Carter's draft+1 season is consistent with 26% chance at playing a full NHL season, and of those players, the average best season is 32 points. His lack of progressing from '13-14 to '14-15 totally destroyed the notion that he was going to be a player in the NHL. Other than his draft year, his age-corrected production (including the odd int'l tournament) was really not consistent with an NHL player.

Even if he had managed to maintain his development curve from his draft year, he'd be unlikely to have been more than a 40 point guy. But he's done, bust, time over. There is no coming back to the NHL path as a forward in the ECHL.

Last edited:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Taylor Beck ony 0.67 ppg in the AHL.
Gibson is .917 in the AHL.
Nilsson is .33ppg in SEL.
Finn is 0.25ppg in the AHL.
Verhaeghe is 0ppg in the AHL and 1ppg in the ECHL.

The only guy worth anything of that group is Gibson.

Grabner has looked good on the PK, at least.

what? if Gibson was worth something why did we give him away for free?

Grabner has negative value.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
what? if Gibson was worth something why did we give him away for free?

Grabner has negative value.

Out of the 4 prospects that the Leafs traded (aside from Beck), which ones are actually going to play a game in the NHL in their careers?

Grabner might not be amazing, but you're going to get more out of Grabner than you are out of the 4 others.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009

From the start, this deal has always been little more than:

To Toronto: Four open NHL contract slots
To Islanders: $3M in freed-up cap space

The players involved on both sides were always pretty inconsequential, beyond Grabner perhaps being able to return another draft pick of some sort to the Leafs at the trade deadline (which is doubtful now, considering his total lack of production), and Chris Gibson being a decent depth goalie for an Isles organization that lacked a starter for their AHL affiliate.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

The players involved on both sides were always pretty inconsequential, beyond Grabner perhaps being able to return another draft pick of some sort to the Leafs at the trade deadline (which is doubtful now, considering his total lack of production), and Chris Gibson being a decent depth goalie for an Isles organization that lacked a starter for their AHL affiliate.

In addition to the cap space, it was also the $5mill in real money that the Isles would have had to pay him this year.

Leafs could afford to pay a 3rd/4th liner that. Not sure the Islanders could because they have an internal cap.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
As I said in the Kadri thread..., I truly believe that we have not yet seen close to the team's offensive output, yet.. "as a whole".., because Babs wanted to work on the defensive part first, before he added back all the offense..

Grabner is capable of much more than he has shown.., but yes.., his PK time has been commendable.. . I still have hope, that his offensive gear kicks in soon.. He has time to make it up..

..and I also agree.. Yes.. Originally, this was more about freeing up Roster places.. and allowing some young players to maybe get some ice-time elsewhere.. I liked Verhaeghe and Nilsson, but we do have a pretty stocked AHL club right now, as it is.. Grabner could come alive and impress many...

Don't Stop: Michael Grabner Mega-Montage - TML 2015-16

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

You are right, but I still disagree a bit with the sentiment in the last part of this thread.

Prospects, especially low-profile prospects such as the ones in this trade, will rarely become something, that is true. That's true for most prospects. However, prospects are a valuable commodity due to the off-chance that they become much better than expected.

That's why you rarely see teams off-load prospects off middling type like the Leafs did. And that's why I disliked the trade. Now it seems even more unlikely that it will become a mistake, so it turned out fine. And with fine I mean completely inconsequential.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Out of the 4 prospects that the Leafs traded (aside from Beck), which ones are actually going to play a game in the NHL in their careers?

Grabner might not be amazing, but you're going to get more out of Grabner than you are out of the 4 others.

Again, the player acquired had very little meaning in this trade.

Unloading roster spots was the main motive. Grabner actually performing well would have just been gravy.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Again, the player acquired had very little meaning in this trade.

Unloading roster spots was the main motive. Grabner actually performing well would have just been gravy.

Unloading the roster spots was a huge factor, but not the only factor.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Comes down to minor league roster spots - the problem with having a lot of goalie prospects is that there is only 1 AHL starting job. Guess the Leafs brass just valued the other guys more.

True.

I think we still are missing that "goalie of the future" in the pipeline though.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
If Nilsson has a good season in the SHL I wonder if he'll come back to the organization next year. He's a long shot to make the NHL but we are going to be thin on RHD next year.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
As I said in the Kadri thread..., I truly believe that we have not yet seen close to the team's offensive output, yet.. "as a whole".., because Babs wanted to work on the defensive part first, before he added back all the offense..

Grabner is capable of much more than he has shown.., but yes.., his PK time has been commendable.. . I still have hope, that his offensive gear kicks in soon.. He has time to make it up..

..and I also agree.. Yes.. Originally, this was more about freeing up Roster places.. and allowing some young players to maybe get some ice-time elsewhere.. I liked Verhaeghe and Nilsson, but we do have a pretty stocked AHL club right now, as it is.. Grabner could come alive and impress many...

Don't Stop: Michael Grabner Mega-Montage - TML 2015-16

I think he has the offense to put up atleast 15 goals this season but let's see what happens. He hasn't had any luck though as for the others that were traded...the ones that I was disappointed to see go the most was Verhaege and Gibson, Finn I liked but he didn't have a steady progression but a decline.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
:popcorn:
I think he has the offense to put up atleast 15 goals this season but let's see what happens. He hasn't had any luck though as for the others that were traded...the ones that I was disappointed to see go the most was Verhaege and Gibson, Finn I liked but he didn't have a steady progression but a decline.

I agree about Verhaghe.., but I don't expect Gibson to be anything special.. I liked Finn a LOT, when he was in juniors.. and was disappointed when he didn't keep excelling.. Nilsson is the other one who had the most upside, though..

Just think, if all the slumping point-producers all start scoring, at once.. :popcorn: LOL! Grabs will pick it up.. He's been so freakin' close, lately..!

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
You are right, but I still disagree a bit with the sentiment in the last part of this thread.

Prospects, especially low-profile prospects such as the ones in this trade, will rarely become something, that is true. That's true for most prospects. However, prospects are a valuable commodity due to the off-chance that they become much better than expected.

That's why you rarely see teams off-load prospects off middling type like the Leafs did. And that's why I disliked the trade. Now it seems even more unlikely that it will become a mistake, so it turned out fine. And with fine I mean completely inconsequential.
Would we still have been able to pick up corrado off waivers without making this trade?

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Verhaeghe with 16 points so far this season, 8 goals. Playing wing in Florida. Same story with Kadri. Traded, moved to wing, playing well.

Reactions: Bruhin

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
I kinda liked Verhaeghe. I never expected him to play in the top-6 though. Lou was cleaning house for his own high quality picks. They never came though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad