Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Beck, Finn, Gibson, Nilsson and Verhaeghe for Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATBLeafsTyler

Dec 15, 2014
Newmarket, Ontario
Leafs acquire Michael Grabner

September 17, 2015
MAPLE LEAFS ACQUIRE MICHAEL GRABNER FROM NY ISLANDERS

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced today that the team has acquired forward Michael Grabner from the New York Islanders in exchange for forwards Taylor Beck and Carter Verhaeghe, defencemen Matt Finn and Tom Nilsson, and goaltender Christopher Gibson.
Grabner has skated in 317 NHL games between the Islanders and Vancouver Canucks, collecting 95 goals and 60 assists for 155 career points. Last season, he registered 13 points (8 goals, 5 assists) in 34 regular season games. The 27-year-old was selected by Vancouver in the first round (14th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Source: My TSN Bellmedia email. An email straight from Maple Leafs media

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
A lot of meh for an NHL player. There's lots of NHL potential in the guys that were just moved, though... In fact, I could see all of them except Finn getting time in the NHL at some point in the not so distant future.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I liked Vergy..

There goes Finn. Never believed he had it in him to be a regular NHLer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There goes the prospect pool hahaha

There goes the Burke prospect pool and Leafs have been trying to #Deburkenize the Leafs.

Lots of free contracts free-up in a 5-1 deal.

Mark Hunter is behind this and sees no value in the prospects as did fans with players like Finn and Carter Verhaeghe etc.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
A lot of prospects that probably had little to no chance to make the team but that seems a little excessive. Out of all those guys, I'm probably gonna miss Verhaeghe.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A lot of depth prospects out the window.

It creates contract space, eliminates a cluster of average prospects as well.

So this give us contract flexibility to sign Glencross and Boyes. It also gives us more space on the Marlies.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Just got the link so here are the players shipped out:

Taylor Beck, Carter Verhaeghe, Matt Finn, Tom Nilsson, and goaltender Christopher Gibson.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Looks like they're basically dumping anyone who they don't believe in as a prospect to make room. I still don't understand this at all though. Grabner is junk, he's an expiring deal, and we have more than enough washed up veterans on the team.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Finn and Verhaeghe don't have enough speed to sniff the NHL.

Beck is a young 4th liner who won't be more than a 4th liner who can sometimes play on the 3rd line.

Really outside chance that Gibson is a backup goalie. Sparks deserves his minutes in my opinion.

It's only Nilsson that I saw turning into a 4-5 defender. He doesn't put up points but is smart, quick enough, and makes good decisions. Him being RH makes him more valuable too. I would've preferred giving up Granberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->