Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Zach Aston-Reese - 1 year 840k

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
lol.

You were involved in the negotiations I assume?
I like ZAR I just think we paid market rate. Aube-Kubel got 1 million so 800-850 k sounds about right.

Sticky just way to often tries to pump up Dubas and co for things that should be getting done. It's a normal signing and we should have been going for these type of players a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The worst kept secret in the game finally gets confirmed.

The plan to start the year seems fairly obvious now. Liljegren LTIR. Malgin for game 1 with 19 players. Robertson emergency recall for game 2 until Tavares is healthy. I’m still curious what happens then, and when Liljegren comes off LTIR.

I’m not a fan of sending Robertson down when Tavares is ready, and something for sure has to give when everyone is he’s healthy, of course another injury could happen.

Has to be 1 of Kerfoot, Engvall or Holl traded I think but which one
I think it's Kerfoot that's moved.

Kerfoot would be replaced by Malgin/Holmberg.

Holl would be replaced by no one on the marlies.

Moving Kerfoot sucks though he's really grown on me and I wish we could see Robertson-Kerfoot-Nylander.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Trade Engvall for a pick once Liljgren is healthy?

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Jarnkrok
88-Kerfoot-Malgin
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Gio-Liljegren
Sandin

Still doesn't feel great to sit any of those defenseman on any given night.
Why the love in with Malgin. Don't we have someone available with a similar skill set that is bigger than a smurf.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Sorry, Kampf but you need a hyphen to play on our 4th line. Either change your name or we'll trade you for Nugent-Hopkins

jvremain

May 25, 2022
Good. This will be the first time we’ve iced a proper 4th line since, idk, the Quinn years.
I'd like to see us make more of an effort to sign our key third and fourth liner grinders to longer-term contracts - 3 or 4 years. Yes, a little more money is needed, but stability is important. How can it be done? I think the only way is to trade Muzzin for a cheaper contract (like a Carson Soucy) and put the extra money towards giving these critical role players multi-year contracts or they will quickly play their way out of their short term contracts. Engvall should have been locked up for 4 years, for example. Thoughts?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Right where expected. And probably what was agreed upon in the first place.

Except that this makes it very very tricky to carry any extra players. League minimum here could have made a significant difference.

Unless capffeindly is wrong, we’re over the cap with a 20 man roster.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrook
Aston-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Liljegren
Muzzin-brodie
Giordano-Holl

That’s that’s 242k over the cap. I’m not sure we want to go through the season hoping for injuries to make the cap work.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Unless capffeindly is wrong, we’re over the cap with a 20 man roster.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrook
Aston-Kampf-Kubel

Rielly-Liljegren
Muzzin-brodie
Giordano-Holl

That’s that’s 242k over the cap. I’m not sure we want to go through the season hoping for injuries to make the cap work.

I think you might be looking at the "overages" column instead of the "capspace" column.

And you're missing Sandin.

The Leafs are $1.3 to 1.4m over the cap with a 21 man roster, depending on which of robertson/malgin/etc keeps the last spot.

Moving Holl for picks would get us under the cap by $600-700k with a 20 man roster.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think you might be looking at the "overages" column instead of the "capspace" column.

And you're missing Sandin.

The Leafs are $1.3 to 1.4m over the cap with a 21 man roster, depending on which of robertson/malgin/etc keeps the last spot.

Moving Holl for picks would get us under the cap by $600-700k with a 20 man roster.

They are over 1.3-4 with a 21 man roster, but none of the defensemen they would send down can be fully buried, so they can’t be completely removed from the cap.

I didn’t miss Sandin, but had him in the minors, where he still counts 275k on the cap. You can send Holl down, but he would still count for 875k.

Yes, making a trade would solve the cap problems.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
They are over 1.3-4 with a 21 man roster, but none of the defensemen they would send down can be fully buried, so they can’t be completely removed from the cap.

I didn’t miss Sandin, but had him in the minors, where he still counts 275k on the cap. You can send Holl down, but he would still count for 875k.

Yes, making a trade would solve the cap problems.
You can’t just send Sandin down to the minors. He isn’t exempt from waivers. If you try that he would obviously get claimed

Reactions: stickty111

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
We also can’t be over the salary cap. Ideally, Justin Holl is out the door, but somebody has to go.
Okay…..that doesn’t change the fact you didn’t seem to understand how demoting players or waivers worked.

Yes we can’t bring Liljegren off LTIR under our current cap situation but who knows what our situation will be in 3 weeks when he is ready to come back. Someone else could have gotten hurt by then mean we would have the space to even if temporarily.

Also while trading Holl would give us room to bring Liljegren back in it wouldn’t give us enough room for an extra skater like trading Kerfoot or Engval would.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Okay…..that doesn’t change the fact you didn’t seem to understand how demoting players or waivers worked.

I spaced on Sandin’s new contract being the end of his waiver exemption. Since he has yet to be a full time player, it didn’t even cross my mind.

Yes we can’t bring Liljegren off LTIR under our current cap situation but who knows what our situation will be in 3 weeks when he is ready to come back. Someone else could have gotten hurt by then mean we would have the space to even if temporarily.

The post was specifically to express my view that it’s a bad idea to be in a situation where you need players to be injured in order to be cal compliant.

Also while trading Holl would give us room to bring Liljegren back in it wouldn’t give us enough room for an extra skater like trading Kerfoot or Engval would.

While I have expressed an interest I trading all three of those players, only Holl can be dropped with out being replaced. Both Engvall and Kerfoot would need to be replaced by another contract in the roster. Even if that contract would be less, you’re saving less than the value of their contracts.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I firmly believe a 4th line should be made up of people who can either PK or play on the 2nd PP. Having a 4th line player who can't PK/PP is wasted space

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I firmly believe a 4th line should be made up of people who can either PK or play on the 2nd PP. Having a 4th line player who can't PK/PP is wasted space
lol what? Your top 6 guys are for the P.P... In our case especially. Bottom 6 guys should be for 5 on 5 shut down minutes, P.K, bringing intangibles like physicality. I don't need my 4th line to be on the p.p. Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Bunting, Robbie/Malgin have that covered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad