Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RW Max Ellis to a 2 Year ELC

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Guy is having an argument with himself in here. Says the Leafs only have small players. People bring up that the majority of the Leafs roster is over 6'0.

Starts making things up about people saying Max Ellis is good when just about everyone in here has said they had not heard of him before today.

1649520009629.png

Reactions: aingefan

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Worst case scenario he’s trade bait. I prefer this signing to Rindell at least. Hopefully he can develop into a Blackwell.
Yeah I was going to mention Rindell but he has his own thread. Also we don't know if this guy is just small or if he plays small, which is maybe more of a Leaf issue. My guess is he has a motor and isn't a perimeter player which is what you need to succeed as a smaller pro and probably why they signed him. A former team mate of Steeves so they would have seen him beside a known quantity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he's small and skilled, fine, no problem. But better come with some feistiness a la Yani Gourde or even a Colin Blackwell.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Of those 8, 4 are in our top 10 prospects. None of those were 1st round picks.

It’s not about defending him, it’s that the narrative is lazy. There’s better things to attack, I even gave you one.
it's not lazy it's a fact , Dubie's draft picks have almost entirely been on the small side and if you consider someone pointing that out an attack then you obviously have a problem with how he's drafted

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
it's not lazy it's a fact , Dubie's draft picks have almost entirely been on the small side and if you consider someone pointing that out an attack then you obviously have a problem with how he's drafted
He drafts skill, acquires size, seems simple enough

I have problems with low upside picks like Rindell, in cases like that, grab a heavy dman at least, or a fast one, but most of his picks I think are great

Reactions: Smif and SeaOfBlue

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He drafts skill, acquires size, seems simple enough

I have problems with low upside picks like Rindell, in cases like that, grab a heavy dman at least, or a fast one, but most of his picks I think are great
most draft picks regardless of size bust or don't amount to anything more than mediocre bottom of the lineup types and smaller somewhat skilled players are literally a dime a dozen

"he drafts skilled , acquires size" what is that some life motto ?

what you get when you trade for size/toughness is guys on there last legs or are washed up or nothing types like Babooshka , you don't get prime Wilsons

but hey Dubas has a motto and as a fan it needs to be defended until death or he is replaced or decides on a new motto , lol

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
he's taken like 2 prospects with size in 4 drafts and my argument is getting destroyed ? lol

it also always amuses me how people believe the GM and the team are one entity and the num 1 priority of a Leaf fan is to defend the honor of the GM to the death , lol
Hes really never missed in the first 3 rounds either. Who cares what size they are if they’re all making it to the nhl one day.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hes really never missed in the first 3 rounds either. Who cares what size they are if they’re all making it to the nhl one day.
in his 4 drafts there's exactly 1 player who you can say has graduated to the Leafs and another full time player who he traded playing full time

hopefully there's more that become NHLers but until that time i have no idea how anyone can say he's hit on all his top 3 rd picks

also drafting smallish players who put up some points in there draft year then cheering like there steals because they still put up points post draft is delusional

the job of the scouts is to draft players who can transition to the next level and not simply who can produce at their current level , take a look at jr leagues stats and you'll see it's loaded with kids around 5'10'' who put up points , the majority will never get a sniff at the NHL

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
in his 4 drafts there's exactly 1 player who you can say has graduated to the Leafs and another full time player who he traded playing full time

hopefully there's more that become NHLers but until that time i have no idea how anyone can say he's hit on all his top 3 rd picks

also drafting smallish players who put up some points in there draft year then cheering like there steals because they still put up points post draft is delusional

the job of the scouts is to draft players who can transition to the next level and not simply who can produce at their current level , take a look at jr leagues stats and you'll see it's loaded with kids around 5'10'' who put up points , the majority will never get a sniff at the NHL
So with that logic, you have no idea how anyone can say he didn’t hit on those picks either then I guess. Stop whining then.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So with that logic, you have no idea how anyone can say he didn’t hit on those picks either then I guess. Stop whining then.
Isn’t it logical to wait until a draft pick makes the NHL before you consider the GM hitting on the pick ?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
most draft picks regardless of size bust or don't amount to anything more than mediocre bottom of the lineup types and smaller somewhat skilled players are literally a dime a dozen

"he drafts skilled , acquires size" what is that some life motto ?

what you get when you trade for size/toughness is guys on there last legs or are washed up or nothing types like Babooshka , you don't get prime Wilsons

but hey Dubas has a motto and as a fan it needs to be defended until death or he is replaced or decides on a new motto , lol
Who would you have picked differently in the last two drafts? Schneider over Amirov would be a fair example, though Amirov is tough and has cancer which is unforeseeable.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
It would also be nice to get a guy who is more of a natural center in that role so we have better depth for the Leafs. Seney has filled in fine in a pinch, but he is better as a winger at both the NHL and AHL levels. Pontus Holmberg is also a decent center option, but like Seney, he is also not that great at draws and ideally you have a guy like him as center insurance rather than an every day center (I personally have him and SDA splitting draws on a top 6 line next year). Ben Meyers would have been perfect, but there are a few group 6 UFA's who should be able to clear waivers and would be great fits as well (i.e. Adam Brooks).

A guy who has been claimed on waivers 3x this year might not be the best example of someone who 'should be able to clear waivers'

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A guy who has been claimed on waivers 3x this year might not be the best example of someone who 'should be able to clear waivers'

Based on how he has performed this year, it is a lot more likely he clears next year.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
If Dubas keeps drafting/signing/acquiring by trade small players (regardless of the big players he also drafts/signs) and none of them are successful in the NHL, he is making the same mistakes over and over again which (in a normal workplace) may lead to a dismissal. Go big or stay home!

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Dubas keeps drafting/signing/acquiring by trade small players (regardless of the big players he also drafts/signs) and none of them are successful in the NHL, he is making the same mistakes over and over again which (in a normal workplace) may lead to a dismissal. Go big or stay home!

If Dubas drafts/signs/acquires by trade Big players (regardless of the small players he also drafts/signs) and none of them are successful in the NHL, he is making the same mistakes over and over again which (in a normal workplace) may lead to a dismissal.

If Dubas fails to succeed, he's getting fired, like every other Executive in Sports. The small narrative overall is false, and either ignores reality, or ignores the plan here (or just doesn't understand it).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Though has a single Dubas' era draft pick even busted yet? I can't think of one

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Though has a single Dubas' era draft pick even busted yet? I can't think of one

Riley Stotts never worked out. That was probably the worst example.

Zach Bouthillier as well, but they pretty much just bet on a good playoff series (that he still lost). Kizimov and Loponen are not looking all that great either. All were 7th round picks though.

There were some in 2020 that are not looking all that great so far, but others are looking really good.

2019 is the only draft so far where he has had full control without Covid impacting him, and he picked up Robertson, Kokkonen, Abramov, Koster, and Abruzzese in that draft.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad