Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Polak to 1 year deal @ 2.25M

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Polak is not an NHL defender anymore.

Makes more sense to have him in the AHL, or maybe as the 7th guy.

The thing is, i'm not sure if there is anything Rielly/Gardiner can learn from Polak. They're better than him at literally everything already?

Mad Brills*

shanny already said he's a depth dman, so why pay an extra million?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Polak is not an NHL defender anymore.

Makes more sense to have him in the AHL, or maybe as the 7th guy.

The thing is, i'm not sure if there is anything Rielly/Gardiner can learn from Polak. They're better than him at literally everything already?

The signing is for depth.. Not sure you point about Rielly/Gardiner these are core players. It's essentially like saying Burns/Vlasic have nothing to learn from Polak.. Obviously, he's a depth guy

:help:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The signing is for depth.. Not sure you point about Rielly/Gardiner these are core players. It's essentially like saying Burns/Vlasic have nothing to learn from Polak.. Obviously, he's a depth guy

:help:

Burns is older than Polak. Vlasic is the same age as him.

Rielly is 8 years younger.

Why else would we sign a vet who cant play NHL hockey if not to "mentor the kids"?

We have a lot of depth guys on the Marlies who are better than Polak right now and could fill in his minutes/be the #7 guy for half the price.

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
Babs said in a recent interview that the purpose of resigning Polak was to give a role model to the young guys, mentioned Neilsen and Valiev as examples, to me this indicates the intention is for him to play in the AHL barring injuries/performance issues. So a depth guy but maybe no the 7th D man in he press box? Similar to Soupy last year?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Babs said in a recent interview that the purpose of resigning Polak was to give a role model to the young guys, mentioned Neilsen and Valiev as examples, to me this indicates the intention is for him to play in the AHL barring injuries/performance issues. So a depth guy but maybe no the 7th D man in he press box? Similar to Soupy last year?
I can't remember any player signing for Polak money who was expected to play in the AHL.

Campbell led the Panther's in TOI last year. Not exactly a "depth guy" for them.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Polak is signed to an NHL contract, if he was going to play for the Marlies, he would have been signed to either a two way contract, or an AHL contract.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Burns is older than Polak. Vlasic is the same age as him.

Rielly is 8 years younger.

Why else would we sign a vet who cant play NHL hockey if not to "mentor the kids"?

We have a lot of depth guys on the Marlies who are potentially better than Polak right now and could fill in his minutes/be the #7 guy for half the price.

Fixed.

I'm sorry if you can't understand the value of bringing in a vet from slots 4-7.

I don't see any other RHD. It's easy to understand.

Mad Brills*

certainly seemed like he knew what he was getting into when he came back

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
Polak is signed to an NHL contract, if he was going to play for the Marlies, he would have been signed to either a two way contract, or an AHL contract.

You make a great point good sir, how does one tell what contract type players sign (one way vs two way nhl contracts that is)? I don't see it on general fanager but I suspect I am looking in the wrong place.

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
I can't remember any player signing for Polak money who was expected to play in the AHL.

Campbell led the Panther's in TOI last year. Not exactly a "depth guy" for them.
I should clarify, the Marlies' Campbell not Florida's. I agree that the Florida/Chicago Campbell is still a stud at he NHL level, although age will start to catch up with him soon I suspect.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
You make a great point good sir, how does one tell what contract type players sign (one way vs two way nhl contracts that is)? I don't see it on general fanager but I suspect I am looking in the wrong place.

Typically anything over a million per year is a one-way contract.

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
Good call,can't say I've heard the Marlies Campbell called Soupy too often. Guess it does transfer on the last name though.

Felt that it was easier to type on my phone. I suppose I should be less lackadaisical in future posts. XD

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016

Fair enough, I knew that is was uncommon but after looking at AHL teams and their total payrolls and seeing them be under 5 million, would make it more like unprecedented. Could his be an avenue for MLSE to gain a competitive advantage in player development or are there hard salary caps for AHL teams preventing this. I suppose the main reason this is unheard of is because the main club would want to spend all the cap space but if there was some cap wriggle room, is this a possibility?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

What?

A contract that pays a player a different amount for playing in the NHL vs Playing in the AHL. The amount of the salary is not the relevant piece of information. If a contract only has one salary mentioned it is a one way contract. If it has two amounts mentioned it is a two way contract.

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
What?

A contract that pays a player a different amount for playing in the NHL vs Playing in the AHL. The amount of the salary is not the relevant piece of information. If a contract only has one salary mentioned it is a one way contract. If it has two amounts mentioned it is a two way contract.

An unfounded assumption I had regarding contract types was that a two way contract avoids the waiver wire while a one way does not. Can this be negotiated and penciled into the contract or does the NHL/NHL PA have hard rules regarding waivers for all NHL contracts?

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
An unfounded assumption I had regarding contract types was that a two way contract avoids the waiver wire while a one way does not. Can this be negotiated and penciled into the contract or does the NHL/NHL PA have hard rules regarding waivers for all NHL contracts?

Sorry for spam but to answer my own question;

Each player signs what is, or is a variation of, a standard NHL player's contract. The contract specifies that the team has exclusive rights to the player playing in the NHL. Once an NHL player has played in a certain number of games or a set number of seasons has passed since the signing of his first NHL contract, that player must be offered to all of the other NHL teams before he can be assigned to a minor league affiliate. (WIKI)

So nevermind, sending Polak to the AHL makes no sense assuming it was an NHL contract he signed.

Edit: Andrew Campbell signed a two way deal so I'm even more confused, did he clear waivers or was my original assumption correct and a two way deal means the contract is both NHL and AHL?

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
SJ choosing not to re-sign Polak has nothing to do with perceived value. It's common players are traded for and walk via free agency. I don't see how a contract dictates a players standing in the league, especially a depth player. There's no need to cry wolf over the signing. Look at SJ D-depth Burns, Martin, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon, Schlemko and Mueller.. No point making a signing when the $$$ clearly went to Boedker/Hertl.

We don't have any other prospect other than Carrick on the right-side.. We literally have Zaitsev, Polak and Carrick as RHD. You've listed one example, rank our top RHD based on natural position. If Polak is in the top 4 of the RHD.. you can clearly see the trend. Zaitsev hasn't set foot on NA ice and Carrick is basically a sophmore. You have to think in terms of LHD/RHD not just D. Some play the left-side, others play the right-side.

I respect, but I don't see the merit of any of your points for a 1 year vet UFA signing that inevitably will be flipped at the deadline. I like the passion of making this team better, but the writing in on the wall. You'll likely see Hunwick/Polak out the door at some point this season.

I stated that Polak did not play well in any series for SJS...He was not offered a contract anywhere else in the League .....his value is minimal at present. Playing on your strong side is preferred but not at the expense of a more skilled player. Marincin played very well on the right side at the end of the season playing with Rielly and Rielly played his weak side for most of the last 3 years.

Carrick is a big upgrade over Polak on the right side and is still learning. My only concern about Polak is that him playing more than Carrick, as Carrick needs to play to develop.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

All players who have am NHL contract and are no longer protected by age have to clear waivers before being assigned to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad