Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Polak to 1 year deal @ 2.25M

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Can't say enough about the Leafs not blowing the bank during the ufa window, pretty much perfect for me. 2nd round pick, here we come! ( not to mention Polak leading by example in the 'toughness' department ) He's a depth dman certainly, but it plugged a hole in a way that's easy to live with.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Gunnarsson has been nothing but a 3rd pairing d-man on St. Louis. He was only a top 4 on our team. That right there says a lot. We didn't get fleeced in that trade. Losing the pick kind of sucked, but it was a lateral move at best for our team.

Just getting rid of Gunnar made it a decent trade. Now that they will be able to flip Polak for more assets yet again, makes it even better.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Can't say enough about the Leafs not blowing the bank during the ufa window, pretty much perfect for me. 2nd round pick, here we come! ( not to mention Polak leading by example in the 'toughness' department ) He's a depth dman certainly, but it plugged a hole in a way that's easy to live with.

I'd like Carrick to learn a lot from Polak. Carrick has some grit in his game and I think learning from a guy like Polak would do wonders.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
I'd like Carrick to learn a lot from Polak. Carrick has some grit in his game and I think learning from a guy like Polak would do wonders.

Sure. I like Carrick and even if he just watches Polak take pucks to the face he'll probably learn something, never mind the rest of the package ( gym freak, etc. ).

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think he stabilizes Gardiner's frequent carelessness and Zaitsev could develop very well as Rielly's RHD.

We are starting to get a much more balanced D that is starting to develop into something half decent, IMO.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can't wait until everyone is bashing Polak come November.

Guy is brutal.

This signing is better than Russell though, so that's the only real reason I am okay with it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Polak for one year as a depth guy. No problems with it. It's a long, grind of a season and I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be
He's also in great shape, and has a work ethic that will rub off on others

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Polak for one year as a depth guy. No problems with it. It's a long, grind of a season and I don't think he's as bad as some make him out to be

He is only here for probably half of the season and will be traded to the contender at the trade deadline

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

He is horrible....He lacks the ability to see the ice and thinks he should carry the puck up ice like he is a gifted D man who them gets himself into trouble and gives the puck away. If anyone watched the playoffs you would have seen him give the puck away time and time again..when he had options.

I'm not a fan of this signing. I also think that he plays as a 6/7 as we have 8 d man at least that is better.

Last edited:

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Feels like some people's opinions become magnified to emphasise a point when people disagree with them.

For me, we've added a strong Dman who is a bit of a warrior, liked and respected by staff and teammates, and holds value on trade deadline day. He's on a short-term deal for a reasonable caphit.

Let's remember, whilst everything is geared towards what happens on the ice, this management group are also about a humanistic approach. Treating people right, promoting a good team spirit and essentially putting together a family that respects and trusts each other.

We parted with Polak in a good manner, he was clearly liked by staff, especially with Lou's comments re: trenches. We've gone out and taken care of the guy. We do that now, within reason, we will take care of people who are good to us. We did it with Winnik and we were rewarded from that too.

We'll become a more and more attractive destination for good people.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
As to the posters who say he is a gym beast or his work ethic....we have that covered in Rielly. We do not need Polak to be an example as he is not a good D man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad