ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What do people expect the pairings to be next season? I'd guess something like:

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gards - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Marincin

I feel like Polak is the weakest of the 7, but he's also a righty, if we keep guys to their sides then he's in the top 6.

Eyre

Mar 16, 2016
All players who have am NHL contract and are no longer protected by age have to clear waivers before being assigned to the AHL.

Thanks, so then only way to avoid waivers would be to sign an AHL contract whereby the player is ineligible as a call up. If the player was needed he could sign a new contract of the NHL variety but then would not be allowed to return to the AHL for the remainder of that contract witrout clearing waivers. I suppose Corrado should have made that clear although I figured ELCs had generic qualities, waivers being one of them.

I suppose that means Campbell cleared waivers when he was first assigned to the Marlies.

I didn't accurately perceive the hardships management must go through in finding vets for your AHL club that still have serviceable NHL qualities to best foster player development in one of your clubs most important developmental leagues. The work around from the leafs perspective must be having vets run as the 7th D or 13th forward or press box, while having their own development team in the same city. Having communal training facilities would also help in this regard, allowing their AHL players to gain exposure to there NHL counterparts on a daily basis for practices etc.

Edit: I stated that they could place the vets in the extra skater slot but I should state that the assumption is that they challenge the kids for the main roster slots and are only relegateD to the press box if it is deemed to hamper player develop due to ice time restraints, there will obviously be slots on the 4th line where vets can be placed. Slotting the right type of vets on the same line as the kids is obviously great for there development. Those vets can focus on helped the NHL kids and the depth vets can focus on helping the AHL kids or what have you

Last edited:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
What?

A contract that pays a player a different amount for playing in the NHL vs Playing in the AHL. The amount of the salary is not the relevant piece of information. If a contract only has one salary mentioned it is a one way contract. If it has two amounts mentioned it is a two way contract.

It's a fast assumption to determine the type of contract for a beginner. Polak makes 2.25 million, it's obviously a one-way deal. Typically, contracts under the 1 million dollar threshold are more likely to be two-way deal. I understand the notion of 1 way vs. 2-way money.

A previous poster mentioned that he thought Polak was on a two-way contract. This is very unlikely to happen given his salary.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I stated that Polak did not play well in any series for SJS...He was not offered a contract anywhere else in the League .....his value is minimal at present. Playing on your strong side is preferred but not at the expense of a more skilled player. Marincin played very well on the right side at the end of the season playing with Rielly and Rielly played his weak side for most of the last 3 years.

Carrick is a big upgrade over Polak on the right side and is still learning. My only concern about Polak is that him playing more than Carrick, as Carrick needs to play to develop.

It's an unfair statement to say he was not offered a contract anywhere else.. I don't believe you're an insider or have any ties to his agent. Flawed point. Maybe you mean a multi-year deal? I have no doubt a team would add Polak as a depth guy or we would of signed him to league minimum. Polak needs to prove this season he can stick in the league or it could be his last contract that isn't a PTO.

You're comparing an offensive defenseman vs. defensive defenseman. It really depends on the make-up of the pairing. I can't really comment on your Marincin comment, the reality is that Mike Babcock is our coach. He prefers an even mix of LHD/RHD this is one record. I'm not going into personal beliefs about roster creation, I know his view and I can see why the signing was made.. You don't have to agree with it.

Carrick could very well play on the bottom pairing to start the season with Hunwick or Marincin. You can supplement decreased regular TOI minutes with PP time. We did this with Nylander and I would see the same with Carrick. Polak is just a place-holder and frankly I don't see why we can't have 8-10 capable defensemen.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gards - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Marincin

I feel like Polak is the weakest of the 7, but he's also a righty, if we keep guys to their sides then he's in the top 6.

I think you picked the right 7 guys IMO I think it's a ****-show on the right-side. I'm not too sure the direction coach Babcock will take. However, I think you see an even split of LHD-RHD like seen above.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gards - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Marincin

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Marincin/Polak
Hunwick - Carrick

I think Zaitsev will be the most talented and NHL ready RHD. He should match up well with Rielly on the top pairing. Hunwick is the perfect partner and compliment to the younger Carrick on pairing number three. The only pairing I'm unsure about it is the second one. Gardiner will be a staple. Who goes with him on a regular basis might be a camp battle. Polak is the experienced vet and a natural RHD, but Marincin is comfortable on the right side and has the upside advantage and he was playing high in the lineup late last season. They may rotate.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
no one is claiming roman polak on waivers

Certainly not at 2.25 million
Which gives the aleafs flexibility as to where they'd like him to play.

Since he's apparently such a good guy in the dressing room maybe he'd be of more organizational use imprinting his attitude on younger prospects.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
An unfounded assumption I had regarding contract types was that a two way contract avoids the waiver wire while a one way does not. Can this be negotiated and penciled into the contract or does the NHL/NHL PA have hard rules regarding waivers for all NHL contracts?

Only in nhl games is it like that. And I think they changed it two years ago.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gards - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak
Marincin

I like those pairings. I think marincin deserves to be in the top 6 though. Paired with Polak would make a decent bottom pairing. Hunwick and Polak might make for a poor puck handeling pairing with little speed. Probably not a great match

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's an unfair statement to say he was not offered a contract anywhere else.. I don't believe you're an insider or have any ties to his agent. Flawed point. Maybe you mean a multi-year deal? I have no doubt a team would add Polak as a depth guy or we would of signed him to league minimum. Polak needs to prove this season he can stick in the league or it could be his last contract that isn't a PTO.

You're comparing an offensive defenseman vs. defensive defenseman. It really depends on the make-up of the pairing. I can't really comment on your Marincin comment, the reality is that Mike Babcock is our coach. He prefers an even mix of LHD/RHD this is one record. I'm not going into personal beliefs about roster creation, I know his view and I can see why the signing was made.. You don't have to agree with it.

Carrick could very well play on the bottom pairing to start the season with Hunwick or Marincin. You can supplement decreased regular TOI minutes with PP time. We did this with Nylander and I would see the same with Carrick. Polak is just a place-holder and frankly I don't see why we can't have 8-10 capable defensemen.

My main point was that Polak was not good at any point in the playoffs for SJS and was not good for us last year as well. He took a reduction in pay and a one year contract.....no ones knocking down his door.

Babcock likes a Right and a Left pair, but he also understands that skill over the handedness of a player, he played Rielly almost the whole year on the right side and as well as Dion and then Marincin after Dion was traded and Hunwick was injured.

Edit: to be clear, Carrick is a better D man period, in my opinion.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
My main point was that Polak was not good at any point in the playoffs for SJS and was not good for us last year as well. He took a reduction in pay and a one year contract.....no ones knocking down his door.

Babcock likes a Right and a Left pair, but he also understands that skill over the handedness of a player, he played Rielly almost the whole year on the right side and as well as Dion and then Marincin after Dion was traded and Hunwick was injured.

Edit: to be clear, Carrick is a better D man period, in my opinion.

Off course he is, no question about it and I don't think if any one is denying it

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I find it interesting that there's such a cry not to have the traditional four lines of two scoring, 1 checking, 1 hope for the best. But when I see the defence, it's always the top offensive players at the top. If you want to spread the scoring out, going to have to do it on the blue-line as well.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Gardiner-Marincin could handle a high amount of harder starts to shelter the Carrick pairing and let Rielly-Zaitsev get more involved offensively. Ideally the 3rd pairing is something like Valiev-Carrick after the deadline.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
He is more than ready. ...
He will be a Leaf for sure. We will not expose him to waivers.

I think Carrick is more than ready as well, but my point is Polak is a positive role model for Carrick - in particular.
Polak was not brought in to play in the AHL rather to have a mature presence to help guide guys like Carrick, Valiev, Marincin.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
All players who have am NHL contract and are no longer protected by age have to clear waivers before being assigned to the AHL.

Sort of...but it isn't completely determined by age. It more has to do with the amount of games you have played/the amount of seasons since your first NHL contract.

The only time you are waiver exempt due to age is if you sign your first NHL contract at 25 or older.

Mad Brills*

Carrick isn't clearing waivers after the playoffs he just had and he's 23.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This article suggests polak will be a Marlie player coach potentially! Maybe a bit over the top twisting but there is comment links in the article from shanny and Babs that are strange.
theleafsnation.com/2016/8/23/will-roman-polak-play-for-the-marlies

Mr Hockey*

This article suggests polak will be a Marlie player coach potentially! Maybe a bit over the top twisting but there is comment links in the article from shanny and Babs that are strange.
theleafsnation.com/2016/8/23/will-roman-polak-play-for-the-marlies

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think that whoever wrote that article got that idea from this thread somewhere back a few pages.

Oh really! Wouldn't surprise me. I just thought it was a interesting angle. They would look some bad if he didn't clear waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad