Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pierre Engvall, Jesper Lindgren, Par Lindholm and Igor Ozhiganov to ELCs

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
No word on $ yet, but I'm guessing:

Ozhiganov: 1 yr x 0.925
Lindholm: 1 yr x 0.925
Engvall: 2 yrs x 0.85
Lindgren: 3 yrs x 0.8

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
IMO, Good chance Lindholm/Aaltonen are going to be fighting out for that #4C role at camp. If I had to guess, one guy is going to win clean this year and no more of the Fehr-Moore nonsense last season (where I thought Fehr won out handily...but nonetheless).....and Rosen-Borgman.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Let’s see how the look in camp first, we’ve gone down this road before. Wasn’t it Konitola or something like that who wasn’t supposed to be a sure fire thing and ended up being nothing.
Your acting as if they are just AHL potential players. They are players that progressed well and have NHL talent.
Im not surprised the guy that liked your post agrees with you since it was Dubas moves.
Does he agree with you if Hunter is GM? Probably not.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Let’s see how the look in camp first, we’ve gone down this road before. Wasn’t it Konitola or something like that who wasn’t supposed to be a sure fire thing and ended up being nothing.
Petri Kontiola. Thing is that he was a poor skater with a bad first step to begin with, and he was recovering from an injury as well. He's rebounded quite decently since he was here.

I'm happy about all these signings. I'm not a huge fan of Lindholm, but he's at least competition for the fourth center spot. Ozhi is a decent replacement for Polak as a third pairing guy, even though I still hope for a Kapanen-Andersson switch. Lindgren still has tons of tools and talent, and I think it's a good thing to bring him over and get a bit better control over his development. And Engvall has established himself as a real prospect, and will probably be a top name for the Marlies next season.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Well if nobody else is going to say it, I will.

"The Oz Man cometh"

Nice! After that video, I'm ready to get on the Crazy Train ;)

If folks don't watch from about 2:15-3:30 of those clips, they're doing themselves a disservice. Seems like he has some excellent offensive instincts, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the Leafs.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Petri Kontiola. Thing is that he was a poor skater with a bad first step to begin with, and he was recovering from an injury as well. He's rebounded quite decently since he was here.

I'm happy about all these signings. I'm not a huge fan of Lindholm, but he's at least competition for the fourth center spot. Ozhi is a decent replacement for Polak as a third pairing guy, even though I still hope for a Kapanen-Andersson switch. Lindgren still has tons of tools and talent, and I think it's a good thing to bring him over and get a bit better control over his development. And Engvall has established himself as a real prospect, and will probably be a top name for the Marlies next season.

I’m happy with the signings too, I hope they are good enough to crack the lineup eventually I just think maybe we should see how they look in training camp before we start penciling them in.

I wasn’t trying to pick on Kontiola, just he was the first example who came to mind.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Wow your lucky to have seen him, he hardly played.
Wasn't his ice-time cut drastically between last season and this season? I thought I heard his team added a bunch of other Olympic Team Russia D heading into this year, and - if you believe the conspiracy theories - they weren't too happy about the rumours of his eventual departure to North America at year's end. But last season I'd come to understand he was more of a top-4 guy, who had some more responsibility in a larger role.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Your acting as if they are just AHL potential players. They are players that progressed well and have NHL talent.
Im not surprised the guy that liked your post agrees with you since it was Dubas moves.
Does he agree with you if Hunter is GM? Probably not.

I don’t see how this needs to be twisted into a Dubas thing, for one he’s made other signings as acting GM before Lou. This was more about let’s not pencil in the prospects until we see how they look in training camp.

Reactions: stickty111

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
All of these deals had been negotiated before Dubas took over.

He likely had a hand in the deals though as most of them have AHL ceilings.

Todd03

May 28, 2016
I think the maple leafs are making a mistake not signing Joshua Datoka.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Same here, it seems like he's progressed really well since being drafted. Would love to have a 7th rounder to turn into a valuable asset.
Another 7th rounder* AJ and Engvall turning into middle 6ers from the 7th would be beautiful

Reactions: Liminality

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think the maple leafs are making a mistake not signing Joshua Datoka.
Dakota Joshua has another year of college before he graduates.

It's possible he wishes to complete his education and if he does, he could have the option of becoming a UFA which would allow him to choose his team.

It may not be a situation where the Leafs don't want to sign him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like that Lindholm and Igor's deals are only 1 year - definitely a 'prove it' type of contract for these guys to see if they're worth investing in. Otherwise the Leafs can easily move on from them, and it buys the Leafs another year of drafted players to work their way to the Marlies (or Leafs).

Engvall was a no-brainer. He has sweet skating ability and size with a scoring touch. If he can add some strength he'll be an NHLer no doubt.

Curious to see Lindgren get a 3 year ELC - wonder if he was wanting a bit of security if he's going to make the jump to North America. Also probably likely that the Leafs like his tools and skill set that they're willing to invest a few years into him to see if he can put it together in the AHL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like that Lindholm and Igor's deals are only 1 year - definitely a 'prove it' type of contract for these guys to see if they're worth investing in. Otherwise the Leafs can easily move on from them, and it buys the Leafs another year of drafted players to work their way to the Marlies (or Leafs).

Engvall was a no-brainer. He has sweet skating ability and size with a scoring touch. If he can add some strength he'll be an NHLer no doubt.

Curious to see Lindgren get a 3 year ELC - wonder if he was wanting a bit of security if he's going to make the jump to North America. Also probably likely that the Leafs like his tools and skill set that they're willing to invest a few years into him to see if he can put it together in the AHL.

ELCs are based on age. You can't choose the term for them.

EDIT: Source and proof:

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Dakota Joshua has another year of college before he graduates.

It's possible he wishes to complete his education and if he does, he could have the option of becoming a UFA which would allow him to choose his team.

It may not be a situation where the Leafs don't want to sign him.
I hope it works out - I've been intrigued by him since we drafted him, and even though his numbers seem to have taken a hit this year, I still like how people were talking about him towards the end of the season:

Joshua, in particular, anchored the unit. A big 6-foot-3 junior center and draft pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs, he has the size and mobility to matchup with someone like Borgstrom.
"Obviously Borgstrom, his body of work speaks for itself, but Dakota is underrated," Rohlik said. "He can play the game any way you want. He's got great stick, great size and he competes, and you saw what he did in the defensive end tonight. He was all in. I said, 'I need you here,' and he was like, 'Whatever you need.' Even tonight, they were trying to get away from the matchup, and we kept matching back up and he was ready for the challenge."
After a slow start to this season, Joshua now has 11 goals in the second half, and getting his 15th goal of the season Sunday extended a career high. He also dominated in the faceoff circle all night.
"He's been really good in practice this second half, that's been a key for him," Rohlik said. "He's a natural athlete, and sometimes you get away from your habits. And I always talk to him about habits, because you don't play well Friday and Saturday just showing up; you play well because of the work you put in Monday through Thursday and that's what he bought into the second half."
Joshua's goal was perhaps the most important, given that the Buckeyes were undedeated all season when scoring first.
And now Ohio State has reached the Frozen Four for the first time in 20 years, with a chance to win its first national title.
"We've had the feeling. We've battled a lot of adversity througout the year, but we always knew we had a special group," Joshua said. "We knew we had to come together here and had a chance at another championship, so I think that brought us a little closer. And now you're getting half of the result and we have two wins left."
Dakota Joshua and The Mothers of Invention

Always good to have big, responsible, mobile Centers in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad