Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Ovchinnikov to 3 year ELC || Joining Marlies

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Are we sure we can revoke a loan once a player is loaned out to a non affiliate league? Obviously to the AHL we can and do all the time as it's an affiliate. I don't recall ever recalling a player from a European league. We can't from the CHL unless it's an emergency, and the KHL doesn't have transfer agreement. I certainly don't feel very certain that if it's not going well we can just pull the plug

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think Amirov's and Ovchinnikov's situations are different. One plays for an above average team, was on pace to actually play minutes, got injured, and then got screwed coming back before an injury ending his season.

Ovchinnikov plays for a bad team with very little talent in front of him. He *should* be able to play on that team relatively easy but they simply refuse to give him a chance to prove himself. If they didn't think anything of him he wouldn't be their 13th F in case if injury, and wouldn't want him back next season. They quite literally have no other prospects that could/should be able to handle KHL duties.

If he's getting similar treatment, it's a loan. Bring him back. We'll see if there's something to worry about when he plays for the Marlies.

Yeah but the thing is Sibir was atrocious this year and they still refused to play the kid. Even though he looked pretty darn good the few times he got playing time. It doesn't make sense why he didn't get to play much this year, not sure what changes next season.

As for Amirov, he was in the same situation where he was being scratched or played a couple of shifts a few games for whatever reason. But we couldn't just sling him over to the Marlies because his current contract has an out clause where if Amirov isn't on the Leafs, he's not in NA and has to be loaned back to Salavat. My worry is what if Ov has the same deal.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
one of these days one of our russians will become the next Kucherov, I BELIEVE

Kucherov's production and play were elite at every level he played at. I think the majority of the posters here could've told you that he was going to be a star before he was drafted and the only reason idiot GMs passed on him was that they worried that he'd go back to the KHL instead of staying over in NA. Which was pretty f***ing stupid thinking especially when the kid literally came over and played juniors in NA. I don't think I've ever been more pissed off as a Leafs fan at a draft. We drafted Percy and Biggs in the 1st round that year.

Amirov and Ov are both great players and have done pretty well for themselves to this point in their careers but I don't think either is close to Kucherov's level.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Yeah but the thing is Sibir was atrocious this year and they still refused to play the kid. Even though he looked pretty darn good the few times he got playing time. It doesn't make sense why he didn't get to play much this year, not sure what changes next season.

As for Amirov, he was in the same situation where he was being scratched or played a couple of shifts a few games for whatever reason. But we couldn't just sling him over to the Marlies because his current contract has an out clause where if Amirov isn't on the Leafs, he's not in NA and has to be loaned back to Salavat. My worry is what if Ov has the same deal.

Ov's deal may not be the same. He's nowhere near the same level as Amirov, but the details haven't been fully announced either way so I mean, we'll see? We know Ov is willing to play in the AHL, afaik Amirov is either KHL or NHL.

All we know is it's a loan and we've seen guys get pulled mid-season from Euro leagues even with Nylander. Since Dubas talked on Amirov I am more confident that I think he wasn't fully healthy, or else they would be doing something. They eased him in, and then they kinda just shut it down. It sucked either way, but it just doesn't feel the same with Ov. I'm confident that he will at least get the chance next season that he didn't this year.

Reactions: nobody

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We will be happy if Amirov turns into another Buchnevich and lucky if Ovchinnikov even makes the NHL.

Guys who produce like Ovchinnikov play 100GP+ in the NHL 62% of the time based on Bader's model. I know we've had our disagreements on him, and I'm higher on him than you are, but his production has been special, especially this year on a team that cannot score without him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ov's deal may not be the same. He's nowhere near the same level as Amirov, but the details haven't been fully announced either way so I mean, we'll see? We know Ov is willing to play in the AHL, afaik Amirov is either KHL or NHL.

All we know is it's a loan and we've seen guys get pulled mid-season from Euro leagues even with Nylander. Since Dubas talked on Amirov I am more confident that I think he wasn't fully healthy, or else they would be doing something. They eased him in, and then they kinda just shut it down. It sucked either way, but it just doesn't feel the same with Ov. I'm confident that he will at least get the chance next season that he didn't this year.

I'm wondering if that may change next season. He's gotten dicked around a bit over there and I think we'd rather have control. I think a good AHL season either gets him into the NHL at some point next year or they pencil him in for the following season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017

IIRC I think Dubas told the media that Amirov will be on the Marlies soon also since his team probably isn't going to make a deep run and so as soon as their season is over he'll be good to go.

Marlies roster in late March/early April at some point may feature Ov, Amirov, Holmberg, Kokkonen. Might also see Abruzzesse and Niemela if they sign their ELCs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I think it's important to understand the Russian mentality here: mother Russia above all else.
These kids deciding to go to the NHL is paramount to being a traitor so why would mother Russia try to help you?
That said, they are two faced enough to accept a finished superstar product back with open arms as that player is returning home as they have seen the righteousness of Russia.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
IIRC I think Dubas told the media that Amirov will be on the Marlies soon also since his team probably isn't going to make a deep run and so as soon as their season is over he'll be good to go.

Marlies roster in late March/early April at some point may feature Ov, Amirov, Holmberg, Kokkonen. Might also see Abruzzesse and Niemela if they sign their ELCs.
There’s the matter of Amirov’s health, though that still seems a riddle.

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad