Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Ovchinnikov to 3 year ELC || Joining Marlies

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'm hoping he'll surprise on the Marlies. I remember when the Leafs drafted him and followed him a bit afterwards. Not sure what's been up lately but glad he's on his way over. Always good to see a guy get a shot in the AHL and go from there.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
He should start in the ECHL. It is still an upgrade in league quality from the MHL, he is still playing against men, he can get used to NA ice, and the Growlers are a great organization which can give him PP and PK time. Maybe after the TDL when there may be a few more spots open it makes sense to call him up, but until then, I think the Growlers are a better spot for him.

I would consider sending Gogolev down there too if we are going to continue playing Clifford, Clune, and Kopacka over him. Those three should not be getting any kind of regular ice time at this point.
Sounds like a fine idea for him and Gogolev. Gotta get him going somehow.

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
His situation was covered many times in the Marlies/Prospects thread so I’m really happy with this move. It felt like he just wasn’t ever going to get a chance to develop so this is an ideal resolution. Excited to see how he does with the Marlies.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
spidey senses are going off for me that they are moving prospects at the deadline who are currently in the AHL also they now have 47 contracts

Reactions: aingefan

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Good signing he has great potential and dominated MHL. I'm glad Sibir never gave him ice time, KHL is not a league for developing prospects. Glad he's coming to North America and joining the marlies for proper development.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The guy is one of the best players in the MHL, and plays no time on a team he'd probably be one of the best 6/9 F on that can't "afford" to play him because every win matters.They don't have a VHL team besides an affiliate that's like 2000km away, meaning it was a death sentence in the org to go there.

Very excited to see what he can do in a league that he can be challenged in. I've been calling for this or a change in org since the end of last season because we knew this was coming.
I don't think Dubas and the scouting staff were thrilled with how he was being handled there. Exciting to have him here now soon.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Abruzzese is up there too.
Yup,

I think Nick gets love, maybe not as much as he should because he was drafted as an overeager and is a 22 year old sophomore in the NCAA. I think he deserves more respect as a prospect for sure.

I just think Dmitri is completely slept on by alot of people who don't understand how Russian hockey works. Some people will look at his KHL numbers and write him off. All the while this kid was dressed in some of these KHL games as a 13th forward and saw little to no ice time. Some games he would dress he would see under 2 shifts, and I am also pretty confident they dressed him and didn't play him on a couple occasions as well. It is the most bizarre form of development over there. And for that, I think some people on here probably don't even know who the hell he is lol.

This kid is a stud. He will rocket up the rankings in the court of public opinion shortly IMO.

Reactions: Morgs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Good. Finally get a better idea of him as he transitions against better competition. That conference of MHL to AHL is a big jump though, it would be nice if he could've been designated to a GTA based OHL team to finish out the season.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Good. Finally get a better idea of him as he transitions against better competition. That conference of MHL to AHL is a big jump though, it would be nice if he could be designated to a GTA based OHL team to finish out the season.

I think it's too late for him to go to the OHL, no? Even the ECHL would be a good test if he's not gonna get minutes with the Marlies or looks to be in over his head.

Reactions: stickty111

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think it's too late for him to go to the OHL, no? Even the ECHL would be a good test if he's not gonna get minutes with the Marlies or looks to be in over his head.

Yeah trade deadline was Jan 10th, and I don't think that the OHL has a mechanism to let someone play post deadline but not be playoff eligible like the NHL.

Really though, at his age if he was a CHL prospect he'd be turning pro within a month or two depending on his team's playoff status. Given that time as a practice player/ECHL tune up, he *should* be AHL ready if he's a player

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
With al due respect, going from Siberia to Newfoundland would likely be one of the biggest transitions culturally.

From an outside of the game perspective, I wouldn't bother sending him to Newfoundland. No disrespect to Newfoundlanders here, but that would be a shock to the system lol.

At least in Toronto he can be around other Russians and have Nick Antropov as a coaching liaison. It will be a step up for him from the MHL for sure, but the KHL is a better league than the AHL and he faired fine in that league. IMO he should get playing time right away.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
So when do we get a 50+ goal 100+ point winger?

jk but I am pretty excited for him, I followed him a bit cuz he’s a leafs prospect and he shows some promise despite having his KHL tenures repeatedly stunted due to “wins”

hope he tears it up in the ahl

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Ok so post above has it spelled like Ovchinnikov TSN has spelled like this Ovichnnikov which is it?:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad