Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Abruzzese to a two-year ELC

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Wasn't super noticeable in his first couple of games but I think he's getting more comfortable now

I like that Keefe spent some time on ZZ Top without being specifically asked about him. He can pass it for sure and looks to be a good decision-maker. Seems allergic to shooting it and doesn't keep it on his stick very long always looking to get it somewhere else. He also can't wait to get off the ice. Not the kind of guy to milk his shift.

To me, it looks like he doesn't feel like he belongs, yet. Hopefully, the comfort and confidence isn't too far behind for him. Guy needs to play with someone who can score like centering 88.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He's looked okay for what he is. I'd imagine he starts in a top 6 role with the Marlies next season. I'd out Steeves/Holmberg/Robertson ahead of him on the depth chart currently for a spot next season. Obviously a lot can change between now and then.

I'd like for him to work on his legs in the summer. A little bit more speed would allow him to really show off his strengths, one being his strong hockey IQ.
I think Nick is just adapting to the speed of the game. There is little room at this level to make plays when you don't have the speed or strength to burn guys. Sheldon said it perfectly with his quote yesterday. His IQ is making up for his lack of speed. I really think this little end of year stint is going to do him wonders. He knows what the benchmark is now. He'll get an entire offseason to train and there will be no anxiety or guessing on what is going to be expected of him at camp next year.

I think he has looked more and more comfortable with each passing game, but he will need to do more offensively in the long run to make the NHL. Which I suspect he will.

Reactions: saffronleaf

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Really liked his game last night. You can tell he's got a good mind for the game. Quick decision making, gets open for passes, no long shifts, defensively aware.

Definitely needs some seasoning and to work on his foot speed, but he could be a player for us. Middle 6 winger with PP2 potential maybe? A season with the Marlies would be good for him to see where he's at.

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He didn't look out of place last night. He was noticeable in a good way and making efficient plays. I guess if we're going to play him it should be in the top 9.

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
WOW has he done nothing, like a shocking amount of nothing, I know it's a short sample size but there have been games where I haven't even heard his name mentioned until the 3rd period

he's played 6 games and has generated 0 offense, I know there ismore to hockey than offense but 0? 0 offense?

he's not on the PP, he's not on the PK he doesn't score 5 on 5, he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight, he doesn't block shots

he's Josh Leivo when Josh Leivo was a Leaf

I use to call him Josh "do nothing" Levio because he did nothing

this dude has contributed nothing

he can't be in the playoff lineup

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Looks like Nick must be back in for Florida. Great night for his first goal.

1650739022653.png

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
WOW has he done nothing, like a shocking amount of nothing, I know it's a short sample size but there have been games where I haven't even heard his name mentioned until the 3rd period

he's played 6 games and has generated 0 offense, I know there ismore to hockey than offense but 0? 0 offense?

he's not on the PP, he's not on the PK he doesn't score 5 on 5, he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight, he doesn't block shots

he's Josh Leivo when Josh Leivo was a Leaf

I use to call him Josh "do nothing" Levio because he did nothing

this dude has contributed nothing

he can't be in the playoff lineup
I remember the outcry when Josh Leivo left. Like WTF? He was useless.

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
I thought he was going vs. Florida, but he is going vs Caps. Gotta play that "heavy" style Abruzzese is known for against those Capitals. Probably have him tracking Wilson all night. The volleyball, not Tom.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seasoning and a rub and dipped in herbs and spices , slow cooked for years maybe
I know its early , I actually think they are doing him a disservice this early in his career
I don’t know though

Just doesn't seem like it's fair to the player to go from being a mid round pick and coming out of college to being tested on the first line. It's not like Abruzzese is a blue chip first rounder or has a suite of elite athletic gifts he can sort of lean on right out of the gate.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not uncommon to see these college FAs get a game or two as a kind of courtesy, but the amount they're force-feeding Abruzzese into the lineup is odd and not in proportion with his contribution so far. Sure hope he's just a placeholder and that we don't see him in any playoff games.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
If nothing else the experience is huge for him

Keep in mind the transition for college players who aren’t used to a full season of pro hockey is a bit tougher.

We likely won’t see him play in the playoffs so for him we are looking towards training camp and time with the Marlies next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, the way they promote guys is sort of weird. I don't know how many call ups they have left, but imagine being Alex Steeves, Joey Anderson or Nick Robertson putting in the AHL work at the pro level and then a college kid gets all the looks. Like you're putting the guy at the back of the lineup who is least prepared to the very front of the lineup.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Well, the way they promote guys is sort of weird. I don't know how many call ups they have left, but imagine being Alex Steeves, Joey Anderson or Nick Robertson putting in the AHL work at the pro level and then a college kid gets all the looks. Like you're putting the guy at the back of the lineup who is least prepared to the very front of the lineup.

If it's true that he can't be sent down they're kind of stuck. It's not like they are practicing much these days, so having him just sit there seems pointless. Playing him 10-12 min/game seems reasonable.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He obviously needs a full season in the AHL.

A lot of his natural skill is getting muted because he's not up to speed with the NHL game. A proper run in the AHL will let him shine the next time he's up.

I'm guessing they promised him nine games to burn a year off the ELC? That's likely why he's getting games right now.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Pretty sure once the Marlies are done they have unlimited callups.

I’m also pretty sure that the college signing doesn’t count towards the recall limit.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He hasn’t done much, but he’s also not made a bunch of mistakes, either. He’s obviously not ready, but this cameo should serve as a benchmark for him to go into the offseason knowing the kind of work he has to put in

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pretty sure once the Marlies are done they have unlimited callups.

I’m also pretty sure that the college signing doesn’t count towards the recall limit.

The Leafs wanted him to get some NHL reps, and he was not eligible to go back and forth. We effectively had to choose, and the NHL was easily the better choice for a prospect of his caliber and age.

He mostly looks like he needs a proper NHL offseason where he can get a little bit faster and stronger. If he does that, then he is capable of being an NHL player next year. If he needs a little bit of time in the AHL to get faster and stronger, then he will get that time, but I highly doubt it will require very long.

Processing the game, which I think was the main thing we wanted to test with an NHL stint, is NHL-caliber and as advertised. Excellent pass on that Spezza goal that was called back.

Next season, he is the same age that Kerfoot was when he first cracked the NHL full-time and they have almost identical profiles. That is my expectation for Abruzzese.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad