Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Abruzzese to a two-year ELC

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If we're wanting young legs on the 4th line, we would do much better to have Robertson or Anderson in the lineup. Abruzzese needs Marlies games,he's just not ready yet. Anderson has ability to finish, is a smart two way player, and will get in on the forecheck...I'm not sure why he isn't being given a chance beside Blackwell. Simmonds has shown more value than Spezza & Clifford as far as what he could bring to a playoff teams 4th line. Simmonds-Blackwell-Anderson could be a solid unit imo

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
especially at a school like Harvard

i'm sure he can go back and finish but a late pick like him at his size who'll be in tough to ever make it should have finished his four years then taken a shot at the NHL
I recall reading he kept up with his studies/did extra course work while recovering from surgery last year, so I suspect he's doing fine working toward his degree. You can complete the final year of a degree whenever. Your window for an NHL career is pretty small (and don't forget he's also an 'old' NCAA-er at 23).

$170k of signing bonuses + ~$90k of NHL salary this year doesn't hurt the calculation either.

Also, from a Leafs POV, letting him finish his 4 years would've exposed us to the risk of him signing as an UFA elsewhere. Would another year of dominating the NCAA at 23-24 years old really be all that beneficial to his hockey career? He may not be ready for the NHL right now, but definitely should benefit from a full year of the AHL.
I don’t know why he’s up over a couple of our minor guys though.
Not sure why he's getting a shot in our line-up over someone like Joey Anderson - he needs AHL time. Experiments over.

Although I imagine one of the reasons he signed his ELC is leafs probably guaranteed to burn off a year of the ELC with 9 games - so I expect he'll play at least 5 more games this season
Part of the reason could be we're limited to four call-ups post-trade deadline.

And I think you're right that giving him some NHL time was probably part of the pitch to get him to sign an NHL contract.

Abruzzese may not be impressing yet, but giving 8-10min to Robertson, Steeves, or Anderson instead isn't really going to move the needle one way or the other.

(I can't comment on his actual play, but I noticed that Anderson's AHL production has really slowed down of late...)

Reactions: saffronleaf

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So you don't want them to challenge their prospects at all? It is not like they rushed these guys before they were ready. If anything, they are extremely methodical with the development of their prospects.

Abruzzese was a PPG Olympian and one of the best guys in the NCAA this year. He is 23, so it is not exactly like he is "young" either. He is not a guy who needs a ton of AHL time, if any, if we can find the right role for him in the NHL (which he is not currently getting). I don't really care if he doesn't play down the stretch for the Marlies; we have other guys, and knowing Moore, he would botch Abruzzese's usage anyways. I'd rather challenge him with legitimate NHL usage.

The bubble was the only opportunity for Robertson to play pro hockey after coming off one of the best OHL seasons ever. There was no AHL hockey for him. Should we have just let him sit at home, or not play (even when Johnsson was hurt and he was an excellent candidate to fill his role)? The year after that, he played most of the time in the AHL. He has developed extremely well, and we are not exactly yo-yoing him. We are giving him brief cups of coffee to get his feet wet, which he has earned. It hasn't taken much for him to look too good for the AHL already. The main thing has been the injuries.

Liljegren was in the AHL too long, but we didn't have a spot for him until this year. Same could be said for Joey Anderson and Alex Steeves right now too. A washed up Clifford has played more games than all of the deserving prospects combined so far this year. In the case of guys like Moore/Engvall/Timashov, it effectively took performances that were so dominant that it would have be stupid to not give them chances in the NHL.

Sandin could have used more AHL development for his defensive game, but he has been fine in a sheltered bottom pairing role. We tried him on the 1PP briefly to, once again, see what he can do and challenge him, but it is not like we forced it when it didn't work. He is probably the most aggressive case of rapid promotion, and even he was a top pairing AHL defenseman for 2 seasons (as a 19/20 year old defenseman no less) before being given that chance.

Dubas and rapid promotion do not belong in the same sentence.

I kind of envision a Pierre Engvall or Joey Anderson style development path for him. Which is a relative dark horse goes through the developmental system quietly, building up his NHL viability, proving himself and getting the call up one day. One step at a time on a timeline determined by his progress. Not a “well he looks invisible on the 4th line, so let’s give him some reps in the top 6.”

As far as putting on airs like being a U.S. Olympian, I don’t care about that status. He’s still a late round dark horse prospect that needs time. He’s not a blue chipper.

Reactions: StevenB

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The thing about prospects they tend to cannibalize each other, particularly on stronger teams with few openings for NHL jobs, and also a tendency to add via UFA also to fill roster needs.

A smaller skilled player like Nick Abruzzese for example is in direct competition with Nic Robertson, where only 1 roster spot might be available and only the strong will survive and claim that spot.

Both will be pushed further down once Matt Knies arrives, who will be given even a greater opportunity to fill a roster spot at the expense of other prospects, also have a size and strength advantage.

With all these skilled players their best opportunities to excel would be in top 6 roles with ample PP time like they played in Junior of College to produce those stats but there is even less room in contenders team top 6 to showcase their skills.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Didn’t Brayden Irwin play a few games for us? Seems like this is just a promise they made to sign him. He might not sniff another leafs game for a couple years after this season is finished if ever.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There are going to be options next season.

Blackwell, Spezza, Mikheyev are UFA.
Clifford is completely buriable.
Kerfoot might be moved for space.

AHL team looks like it is going to be flush with youngsters, so maybe that team is going to be a good development system to be in.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The thing about prospects they tend to cannibalize each other, particularly on stronger teams with few openings for NHL jobs, and also a tendency to add via UFA also to fill roster needs.

A smaller skilled player like Nick Abruzzese for example is in direct competition with Nic Robertson, where only 1 roster spot might be available and only the strong will survive and claim that spot.

Both will be pushed further down once Matt Knies arrives, who will be given even a greater opportunity to fill a roster spot at the expense of other prospects, also have a size and strength advantage.

With all these skilled players their best opportunities to excel would be in top 6 roles with ample PP time like they played in Junior of College to produce those stats but there is even less room in contenders team top 6 to showcase their skills.

"Teams that draft well have more internal competition"

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m in no rush to judge the guy based on such a small sample. But you can see that he’s defensively aware, hasn’t been shy of contact has some creativity, and isn’t visually as small as advertised.

It’s pretty common for recently signed guys to get some games.

I figure he’s one of many in competition for a few jobs next year.

Reactions: saffronleaf

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I kind of envision a Pierre Engvall or Joey Anderson style development path for him. Which is a relative dark horse goes through the developmental system quietly, building up his NHL viability, proving himself and getting the call up one day. One step at a time on a timeline determined by his progress. Not a “well he looks invisible on the 4th line, so let’s give him some reps in the top 6.”

As far as putting on airs like being a U.S. Olympian, I don’t care about that status. He’s still a late round dark horse prospect that needs time. He’s not a blue chipper.

Engvall and Anderson didn't come up quietly though. They were in the AHL top 6 and were key players from the moment they started on the Marlies. They were ready for a legit shot at the NHL by 23 too, even though Anderson does not get it for some reason. So, if anything, Abruzzese is following that development path. He just did not spend time in the AHL first, because he does not get that legit shot in the NHL that he has earned otherwise and he was an older NCAA guy.

I didn't say we need to give Abruzzese top 6 minutes. I would like to see what he can do with more time away from Spezza/Simmonds, who have been trash for 90% of the season and may be more of the problem than Abruzzese himself. Maybe give him a game, or some shifts, with Nylander on the 3rd line. We can go back to a shutdown line with Engvall - Kampf - Blackwell and then you have Abruzzese and Nylander together with Spezza or Simmonds. At least Abruzzese and Nylander will have each other, and Nylander is probably going to be double-shifted a bunch anyways.

Now is the best time to see what you have in Abruzzese, and if he shows he needs more time in the AHL next year, then that will happen. Right now, he is a guy who hasn't even played 40 minutes in the NHL and he has spent almost half of that playing with Simmonds or Spezza. He is already going to have to compete for a job next year, but he is going to be in that mix, and I think he has earned a much better chance to prove himself than he has been given to this point.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we're wanting young legs on the 4th line, we would do much better to have Robertson or Anderson in the lineup. Abruzzese needs Marlies games,he's just not ready yet. Anderson has ability to finish, is a smart two way player, and will get in on the forecheck...I'm not sure why he isn't being given a chance beside Blackwell. Simmonds has shown more value than Spezza & Clifford as far as what he could bring to a playoff teams 4th line. Simmonds-Blackwell-Anderson could be a solid unit imo

Anderson is hurt, and doesn't get opportunities for whatever reason.

Spezza has also shown to be a lot more valuable than Simmonds. Simmonds has the odd game where he decides to be physical. He is completely useless otherwise. At least the thing Spezza brings (faceoffs and PP) is consistent.

But if we really wanted to ice an "optimal" lineup, neither Simmonds nor Spezza would be in the lineup over our young guys. It would be Robertson - Abruzzese - Blackwell.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Engvall and Anderson didn't come up quietly though. They were in the AHL top 6 and were key players from the moment they started on the Marlies. They were ready for a legit shot at the NHL by 23 too, even though Anderson does not get it for some reason. So, if anything, Abruzzese is following that development path. He just did not spend time in the AHL first, because he does not get that legit shot in the NHL that he has earned otherwise and he was an older NCAA guy.

I didn't say we need to give Abruzzese top 6 minutes. I would like to see what he can do with more time away from Spezza/Simmonds, who have been trash for 90% of the season and may be more of the problem than Abruzzese himself. Maybe give him a game, or some shifts, with Nylander on the 3rd line. We can go back to a shutdown line with Engvall - Kampf - Blackwell and then you have Abruzzese and Nylander together with Spezza or Simmonds. At least Abruzzese and Nylander will have each other, and Nylander is probably going to be double-shifted a bunch anyways.

Now is the best time to see what you have in Abruzzese, and if he shows he needs more time in the AHL next year, then that will happen. Right now, he is a guy who hasn't even played 40 minutes in the NHL and he has spent almost half of that playing with Simmonds or Spezza. He is already going to have to compete for a job next year, but he is going to be in that mix, and I think he has earned a much better chance to prove himself than he has been given to this point.

Engvall played parts of 3x seasons and over 100 AHL regular season and playoff games before suiting up for Toronto, and Anderson is in process now. I think Abruzzese has earned a little peek in terms of audition - to satisfy curiousity - but generally should go to the back of the developmental line and work his way up. There just isn’t a lot to justify why his draft position, college career and unique Olympic experience would justify jumping the line. Everything in due time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's not getting many minutes to get a good gauge on but from we've seen he looks like he will need some time with the Marlies.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
it's a short sample size but I haven't been impressed with him, in fact I didn't even know he played until the 3rd last night because until the 3rd period I didn't hear his name mentioned

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He will need to develop as a centre. He just doesn't have the footspeed to attack from the outside as a wing.

Reminds of Kadri a bit in that regard. He'll do better in the open space.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Looks like your run-of-the-mill undersized AHL/Euro star (Arcobello, Boguniecki, Bourque) that gets a cup of coffee in the NHL. Clearly not a 4th liner and can't crack our top-6, or even 9. Maybe a year with the Marlies will help.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

Spezza has also shown to be a lot more valuable than Simmonds. Simmonds has the odd game where he decides to be physical. He is completely useless otherwise. At least the thing Spezza brings (faceoffs and PP) is consistent.

But if we really wanted to ice an "optimal" lineup, neither Simmonds nor Spezza would be in the lineup over our young guys. It would be Robertson - Abruzzese - Blackwell.
Mighty mites.
Good blend if tenacity skill and talent.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
In the US most programs are 3 year degrees. He’s graduating most likely with his degree and will probably attend his convocation this year.

They don’t really have 4 year honours bachelors degrees like we do in Canada.

idk, I went to school in the US in the past decade and that's not consistent with my experience. maybe there's specific programs where that's common.

edit - nevermind, you already answered this. makes sense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He will need to develop as a centre. He just doesn't have the footspeed to attack from the outside as a wing.

Reminds of Kadri a bit in that regard. He'll do better in the open space.

He hasn't been involved enough for his IQ to shine through. But it's a tough landing spot for a kid.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Optimal on paper and optimal when you start getting run by teams in the playoffs are two different things. Toughness is certainly not a category we can take away from. I choose to learn from past mistakes & failures though. Ain't nobody ever skilled their way through the NHL playoffs

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Abruzzese has had some moments in his very limited ice time where he’s looked pretty good.

If anything, I’m more excited to see what Abruzzese brings to the table come next seasons training camp and heading into the regular season from the experience he’s gaining right now.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's looked okay for what he is. I'd imagine he starts in a top 6 role with the Marlies next season. I'd out Steeves/Holmberg/Robertson ahead of him on the depth chart currently for a spot next season. Obviously a lot can change between now and then.

I'd like for him to work on his legs in the summer. A little bit more speed would allow him to really show off his strengths, one being his strong hockey IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad