Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nick Abruzzese to a two-year ELC

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This guy shouldn’t be anywhere near an NHL roster right now, yet he somehow starts on the 1st line…Straight garbage.

Reactions: theTTC

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
They made the decision to burn a year on his ELC by playing him. I assume that was promised to him as part of the negotiation. Right now they can't send him to the Marlies. So, the only looks they will get of Abruzzese this year in pro hockey would have to be with the big club. A burned year for 2-3 games seems like a poor decision and they're resting players leading up to the playoffs while using him.

As for his play, he's been a complete non-factor. I don't think I've seen him do anything that would lead me to believe he's an NHL player. He's certainly not on the radar for the playoffs. But, I didn't expect him to come in and do very well. I did expect more, but this is a common occurrence when these burn a year signings happen.

Reactions: hullsy47

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
That kid has an internal clock in his head and he does not deviate from it. When I watch him it's always the same thing... If I get the puck, get rid of it like it's a hot potato. Try not to screw up and stay out of the way. Make beeline for bench 20 seconds after I jump over boards. Lather, rinse, repeat. Game is way way too big for him. No way you can make an impact when all you're thinking is don't screw it up for 20 seconds and get off the ice. Surprised that hasn't seemed to have improved at all in his 7th go 'round.

As much as I love seeing new guys get an opportunity, this has not gone well in his case. The feeling you get watching him play leads me to believe he's probably thrilled when he sees he's not in the lineup. If we see him in the playoffs, it's because we're going to get swept, or we're in some of the worst injury trouble a team has ever been in. Failed experiment for this part of 2022.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs wanted him to get some NHL reps, and he was not eligible to go back and forth. We effectively had to choose, and the NHL was easily the better choice for a prospect of his caliber and age.

He mostly looks like he needs a proper NHL offseason where he can get a little bit faster and stronger. If he does that, then he is capable of being an NHL player next year. If he needs a little bit of time in the AHL to get faster and stronger, then he will get that time, but I highly doubt it will require very long.

Processing the game, which I think was the main thing we wanted to test with an NHL stint, is NHL-caliber and as advertised. Excellent pass on that Spezza goal that was called back.

Next season, he is the same age that Kerfoot was when he first cracked the NHL full-time and they have almost identical profiles. That is my expectation for Abruzzese.

I think if all goes well he could be another Kerfoot as well. Kerfoot’s got a little piss and vinegar in his game and when he’s flying around you can tell confidence is also a big part of what makes him go. So will be interesting to see Abruzzese go through some minor league seasoning and in a more confident head space. Right now he looks like a fantasy camp attendee. Just nervous to be out there and happy to defer to everyone with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00