Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign McBackup (850K) & Sparks (675K) to 2 year deals

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
Babcock and Lou spoke highly of his character. Suitable veteran presence and a good locker room guy. Could be worse.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
The Leafs were talking about depth in order to compete. Guess what, our goalie depth is the weakest out of all three positions. Again, does the Mcbackup and Sparks tandem enticing you? If Anderson is out for lengthy period they will probably need to trade for a fill in starter which is a lateral move

Goalies 2nd on the depth chart might entice you. Goalies 3rd on the depth chart are more or less wildcards in terms of having an impact on your nhl roster.

Your issue with this move is passionate, which is good, but it's making a mountain out of a common molehill.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I laugh at all these posters who state
we should have got Nilsson or Condon

First of all we can only sign players who want to come here

Nilsson choice 15 games with us as backup or 30 plus wit Vancouver

same with Condon

these guys are looking to get into games
McIlspelling is happy to get into any amount of games , sit on the bench, not **** and moan and like Babcock says he is a true professional
don't know why people are pissed at this signing.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Glad to see McBackup back for 2 years.

I thought he looked pretty solid since picking him up on waivers.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What McEllinney and Sparks also provide: backup/depth goalies who play in a similar way to the team's starter. That eases the shock of starting a backup or an injury to the starter.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I would've preferred a few others, but bringing back McBackup not a bad option and the cap hit is right.

If he falters, I'm comfortable with Sparks filling in that role too. I think he's better than he showed back in 2016.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Liking this one he was a real gud pro for us last year. Came through for us agaisnt Pitt to clinch a playoff spot when Andy went down.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's a okay signing - but there were better options available (I believe it's about $ and terms)

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Not exciting but I'm fine with it. Was solid last year, knows his role, dirt cheap.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Liked McBackup last year. If he craps the bed we can send him to the Marlies and look for someone else next year.

Or if Sparks is ready it makes it easier to promote him.

Again, a move made to ensure the team is good, but we arent wasting dollars

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
McBackup was solid for us last year, happy to have him backing Freddie up, especially on a very affordable deal. Seems like a good locker-room guy too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not s fan of bringing back McBackup at all. The chances of him being able to repeat his play from last year are near zero, his entire career before then was pretty lousy. The only benefit is the caphit is dirt cheap. But I'll be on edge fin Andersen goes down for a lengthy period of time (or goes through one of his cold streaks again).

That said, happy Sparks got a new deal. Still think he has the talent to be an NHL backup, he's played great with the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I didn't want McBackup back. Disappointing.

I expect Sparks to take over the backup role

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I think this is the best deal for the leafs in this off-season. Long way to go but these guys are just going to get hosed by anyone. I hope they just sit duck and don't get too fancy during the offseason. Specially the old turd.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
McElhinney was one of very few career backups to have outperformed their xSv% through their careers. He was also a good fit in our system. There were better options, but all of them demand a starter position, or want to be able to challenge for it. Among goaltenders who would accept being the clear backup, I don't know if there were any better options.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
McElhinney was one of very few career backups to have outperformed their xSv% through their careers. He was also a good fit in our system. There were better options, but all of them demand a starter position, or want to be able to challenge for it. Among goaltenders who would accept being the clear backup, I don't know if there were any better options.

Johnson and Nilsson were clearly better options.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
How much better and at what cost is very important. If they got 2 more wins over the season for a whole 1+ mil then it's a bad cap management. I don't hate McBackup, he does his job as a back up. We shouldn't expect more unless we have a prospect that can outperform at the same aav.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad