Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign McBackup (850K) & Sparks (675K) to 2 year deals

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Like it.

McBackup did well for us last year. Worth the gamble.

Also, Sparks is a good #3. Yeah, he wasn't so hot when he first came up, but that was a tank year. It was a different team. He was also solid in the AHL last year. Worth the gamble too.

Sparks shutout the Oilers in his nhl debut. Guess you missed that game :sarcasm:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Well I'm not unhappy at all. But my understanding was we were trying to upgrade at back up. Not status quo.

Leaf fans want us to go all in without moving anything significant and also want us to poof cap space out of our ass.

Management is smart enough to know last year COULD have been a flash in a pan and they should play it safe and upgrade weak spots without any major moves that could shake the dynamic of that room.

We need to see what we have in these guys. Is Matthews always going to score around 40 goals? Nylander a future winger? JVR going to sign here for cheap? Zaitsev improves or regresses? Rielly and Gards play like the playoffs or like in Jan?

For all we know Rielly, Gards AND Zaitsev take a step forward and each turn into a solid top pairing D. Suddenly the need is a top 4 D and not a top pairing one, reducing the trade cost.

Hell, maybe Gards and Zaitsev manage to be a successful shutdown pairing for us and Rielly can play a Shultz type game and run with it? Or maybe we get two solid pairings that can both shut down AND generate offense from the backend.

Just wait and see, keep drafting and eventually a trade will appear or a UFA will come through. No point forcing it.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Really disappointed...not only the leafs failed to upgrade the defense during the opportunity created by the expansion draft, they even failed to upgrade the backup goalie position, which in my opinion is more important than a top 4 d. Guess they really stay on course and wouldn't push over the edge by signing some big free agents short term nor trading for a capable backup who can fill in starter minutes. If Anderson suffers year ending injury, do you have faith that Macbackup can carry us into the playoffs?

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Leaf fans want us to go all in without moving anything significant and also want us to poof cap space out of our ass.

Management is smart enough to know last year COULD have been a flash in a pan and they should play it safe and upgrade weak spots without any major moves that could shake the dynamic of that room.

We need to see what we have in these guys. Is Matthews always going to score around 40 goals? Nylander a future winger? JVR going to sign here for cheap? Zaitsev improves or regresses? Rielly and Gards play like the playoffs or like in Jan?

For all we know Rielly, Gards AND Zaitsev take a step forward and each turn into a solid top pairing D. Suddenly the need is a top 4 D and not a top pairing one, reducing the trade cost.

Hell, maybe Gards and Zaitsev manage to be a successful shutdown pairing for us and Rielly can play a Shultz type game and run with it? Or maybe we get two solid pairings that can both shut down AND generate offense from the backend.

Just wait and see, keep drafting and eventually a trade will appear or a UFA will come through. No point forcing it.

Wait a damn minute here. Do not quote me and not even address what I said. No where did I go on a full tangent about the leafs. I was asking for an upgrade. As in Condon or Niilson (sp?). Don't spring board off my comment and make it seem like I am noob asking why we didn't try to sign all the top free agents.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Really disappointed...

If Anderson suffers year ending injury, do you have faith that Macbackup can carry us into the playoffs?

That thought process is consistent with half, if not most, of the league.

It's a cheap contract. Allows for upgrades in other areas due to the salary. Kaskisuo is in the minors if the leafs get desperate. In general though, it's a backup goalie. So meh..

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Don't like McElhinney as an NHL backup for the full year. AHL starter and first call up is great, but he has to be one of the worst backups in the league.

Someone got an early start to the brewskies this morning...

He's one of the BEST backups, not worst.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
they will regret this signing there is no way, at 34 he will repeat the year he had last year

McElhinney posted a 6-7 record with the Maple Leafs this season after being picked up on waivers from the Columbus Blue Jackets in January. His save percentage sat at .914 and he owned a goals against average of 2.85 in 14 games with the Leafs.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No issues with these signings at all McBackup was solid and we still want to see what we have in Sparks.

Would have like Condon but I am fine with what we have done here.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
That thought process is consistent with half, if not most, of the league.

It's a cheap contract. Allows for upgrades in other areas due to the salary. Kaskisuo is in the minors if the leafs get desperate. In general though, it's a backup goalie. So meh..

The Leafs were talking about depth in order to compete. Guess what, our goalie depth is the weakest out of all three positions. Again, does the Mcbackup and Sparks tandem enticing you? If Anderson is out for lengthy period they will probably need to trade for a fill in starter which is a lateral move

Last edited:

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Excellent move!

Low cap hit
Great goalie
And you start working on sparks.

Sparks has two years to become our solid back up. If he cant hes done

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I like it. Would have been hard to sign a younger up and coming goalie when they know Andersen is in the way.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The Leafs were talking about depth in order to compete. Guess what, our goalie depth is the weakest out of all three positions. Again, does the Macbackup and Sparks tandem enticing you? If Anderson is out for lengthy period they will probably need to trade for a fill in starter which is a lateral move

They have started addressing the goalie void by drafting in the mid rounds for 2 consecutive drafts. It will take time. Team defence will help whoever is between the pipes.

Sparks is young and may still develop into a very solid back-up goalie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The Leafs needed to upgrade from where they started last season in the backup spot. This handles that. Getting just average backup levels from the start instead of the tire fire Enroth brought will be nice.

And it's a cheap enough deal that they can afford to give Sparks a shot in that spot and still have a cost effective situation behind Andersen.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs clearly didn't like the options / salaries that were out there. Stick with what we have, if they don't work out, or a better option comes along later, we can bury them in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad