Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to a 700k/1yr deal

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
:shakehead Rielly is one of our best prospects. Trading top end prospects to build the "prospect pool" does not make any sense.

Also, Polak is not a top 2. Plus, given that your logic here is that we need more RHD, why would we trade one for one?

Exactly... we trade a top prospect like Rielly for a right handed young D-man prospect with the same potential as Rielly... Good right handed D-man are a lot harder to come by.

And Polak isn't a top 2 but on this team and with this defense I think he's a top 2 and I'd trade Polak for another right handed D-man that's a bit taller and more of a stay at home D-man.... Polak + 3rd or 4th or 5th for Sustr?

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect this right handed thing for defence is getting a bit overblown. Trading Rielly is ridiculous, especially for another defencemen.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
it's no more illogical in calling Reilly a top D man prospect , you guys are all man crush gaga about him because he rushes into the offensive zone but ignorant to the reality that he constantly hangs his partner out to dry doing it and has even routinely jumped off the ice after over committing, totally selling out his teammates in the process but protecting his own stats , he never wins the 1 on 1 puck battle in the corner at our end of the ice so no he is not a top D prospect until he learns to actually play D .

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
it's no more illogical in calling Reilly a top D man prospect , you guys are all man crush gaga about him because he rushes into the offensive zone but ignorant to the reality that he constantly hangs his partner out to dry doing it and has even routinely jumped off the ice after over committing, totally selling out his teammates in the process but protecting his own stats , he never wins the 1 on 1 puck battle in the corner at our end of the ice so no he is not a top D prospect until he learns to actually play D .
Reilly is a top defense prospect. I don't think it's a man crush thing, if you asked any scouts/GMs etc. around the league, I'd think they would all say he has No.1 potential.

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Veteran defensemen will tel you - it takes at least until the mid twenties to start to get the d-zone game and that position in particular. Robidias said he didn't get it until he was 30.

Rielly will be a solid dman - be patient- the Leafs finally are.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Seeing as how are problem is defense and always has been I'm perfectly fine with trading Rielly for a more stay at home d-man with the same potential as Rielly.. I could careless for his offensive upside seeing as how are defense always sucks... I'd much rather have a full defense of stay at home d-man and leave the offense to the forwards.

So yeah I'd love to trade Rielly for a right handed stay at home D-man that's young and has the same potential as Rielly and I'd do it in a heart beat.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
It's like you're thinking through the game of hockey the way a 6 year old would.

Good defense do more than defend. Good forwards do more than put up points. One of the big changes this team is undergoing is getting everyone to buy in to a 200 ft game. Rielly, despite offense being his strength, will still be able to defend at a top pairing level if he develops correctly.

There is no such thing as a top pairing, stay at home defenceman. To be on the top pairing, a defenseman has to be good at everything.

No reason why we shouldn't keep Rielly and Gardiner. It's perfectly ok to have two defensemen who play the same type of game. Especially because they won't even be on the same pairing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Veteran defensemen will tel you - it takes at least until the mid twenties to start to get the d-zone game and that position in particular. Robidias said he didn't get it until he was 30.

Rielly will be a solid dman - be patient- the Leafs finally are.

D is a predictability position. All physical attributes being equal, the guy who learns what teams tend to do what as well as players and read the oppositions plays is the best Dman.

The best defence knows its opponents offence like a book and has the strategy to defend it down.

The flipside to that is creative skilled offence that are dynamic and can change the attack on the fly or uses skill to change the play mid stroke.

In the end it's harder to read and study and know a play book inside and out than it is to be fast skilled and creative. That's why top forwards are flying high at a young age and D after.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
Um, no way Phaneuf is not on the top pairing. He'd be traded before being stuck on the 2nd pairing...

I get Polak (and Phaneuf) being dealt, but why not just put Robidas in that question mark? We won't be moving him likely so just keep him there.

And Franson and Erhoff as "big elite defensemen"? Ah, no.

CalgaryLeaf*

This is the kind of smart pickup that Leafs fans are not used to seeing...He is a low risk young player with a high ceiling if he can get his act together...Perhaps a change of scenery from that Zoo in Edmonton will be good for him...Odds are he won't be a top 4 d-man but you never know.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
:shakehead Rielly is one of our best prospects. Trading top end prospects to build the "prospect pool" does not make any sense.

Also, Polak is not a top 2. Plus, given that your logic here is that we need more RHD, why would we trade one for one?

Polak is not even top 4.

3kS0d7p.png

Middle of the road bottom pair.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Rielly is a top d prospect though, he's shown why numerous times especially when Phaneuf was injured and he took over for a while. Does he need to improve still? Of course but he has shown flashes of brilliance and the potential is there. He's getting better at defence and I think he's fine along the boards, the main thing is his positioning which will come with time. His speed saves him most of the time for the moment.

Don't remember him leaving his teammates out to dry, if you could show any proof of that, that would be cool. Should be easy since you said it was done routinely.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing as how are problem is defense and always has been I'm perfectly fine with trading Rielly for a more stay at home d-man with the same potential as Rielly.. I could careless for his offensive upside seeing as how are defense always sucks... I'd much rather have a full defense of stay at home d-man and leave the offense to the forwards.

So yeah I'd love to trade Rielly for a right handed stay at home D-man that's young and has the same potential as Rielly and I'd do it in a heart beat.

The only problem is that high end stay at home defenseman with as much potential as Rielly who is a RH shot actually doesn't exist...

In reality, stay at home defensemen just aren't that good, but the myth of them seems to have persisted in the imagination of Leaf Nation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is the kind of smart pickup that Leafs fans are not used to seeing...He is a low risk young player with a high ceiling if he can get his act together...Perhaps a change of scenery from that Zoo in Edmonton will be good for him...Odds are he won't be a top 4 d-man but you never know.

Yeah, this is the kind of underrated deal that helps franchises get back on their feet if it works out.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
T

.Perhaps a change of scenery from that Zoo in Edmonton will be good for him...Odds are he won't be a top 4 d-man but you never know.

Like going from the "Edmonton Zoo" to the "African Lion Safari" lol.

Just hope a few of these guys pan out. We are due.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I don't know why so many people are so excited about him. He is a bottom pairing guy at best and he is gonna be here till we rebuild and our prospects are ready to take the job. He doesn't become a top 4 potential dman because he joined leafs or Babcock is the coach. He just doesn't have it in him, just like how Gardiner doesn't have it in him to be a top pairing guy despite all the talent.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
There isn't really a log jam on D.

only Phaneuf and Rielly are true top 4 guys, Gardiner has been all over the place and Polak is 100% a bottom-pair guy.

if you end up with a 2nd pairing type out of Marincin you're in good shape.

the way I see it, we need a top-pairing D still, at least one more 2nd pairing guy and then whoever is capable on the bottom. so overall we have 2-3 big open slots on D right now.

This is a stopgap defence, the management is smart here, it's not horrific AHL level D-men, moreso decent 3rd pairing guys that are gonna play 2nd pairing minutes.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I don't know why so many people are so excited about him. He is a bottom pairing guy at best and he is gonna be here till we rebuild and our prospects are ready to take the job. He doesn't become a top 4 potential dman because he joined leafs or Babcock is the coach. He just doesn't have it in him, just like how Gardiner doesn't have it in him to be a top pairing guy despite all the talent.
You legitimately have no idea what you're talking about. I bet you haven't watched a minute of the guy. He's a great skater for his size and was a solid contributor at both the junior and AHL level. He shows a lot of promise, figure it out.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Like going from the "Edmonton Zoo" to the "African Lion Safari" lol.

Just hope a few of these guys pan out. We are due.
Yeah, it's not like he's going from the Oilers to a cup contending team or anything. Just another bad team :).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad