Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to a 700k/1yr deal

J1S

May 12, 2014
Zero risk, but the blueline log jam continues to grow.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I almost forgot we had this guy.
Earn ye contracts, so ye can play here.

Pridham >>>>>>> Loiselle.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

:laugh: we should just do this

Pridham ∞ > Loiselle.

(though to be fair, we haven't seen Pridham handle a larger contract negotiation yet, but - I am sure we won't be seeing any buyout proof no move contract type deals from him).

but seriously, I hope this Marincin kid does well.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
cant wait to see this guy play. I feel like I saw him in trade threads from oilers fans constantly before he was traded, as if they wanted to get rid of him. Anyone else notice that? Doesn't give me much confidence in the guy. But I will reserve my judgment until I see for myself. Not at all offended by 1yr/$700k though!

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
:laugh: we should just do this

Pridham ∞ > Loiselle.

(though to be fair, we haven't seen Pridham handle a larger contract negotiation yet, but - I am sure we won't be seeing any buyout proof no move contract type deals from him).

but seriously, I hope this Marincin kid does well.

It's almost like he doesn't hand them out like candy ;)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
cant wait to see this guy play. I feel like I saw him in trade threads from oilers fans constantly before he was traded, as if they wanted to get rid of him. Anyone else notice that? Doesn't give me much confidence in the guy. But I will reserve my judgment until I see for myself. Not at all offended by 1yr/$700k though!

Oilers fans liked the guy. Most were upset he was dealt, let alone for a 4th.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He could be a good one for us, and he has the chance to prove it. Fine move. Sure hurts not having a GM, eh? :sarcasm:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It is a one way contract and we now have 7 signed D, not a lot of room for a prospect, so as Babcock says they will have to take a job to have job.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Value.

He has the potential to be a Top-4 defenceman. People just kind of ignore him as a future piece but he could easily turn into a great player for us.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Never seen him play, but his stats are that of a good defensive guy. He easily controls the play at a top-4 level based on his Corsi and relative Corsi, and even his -6 in in 85GP in one of the worst defensive teams in modern NHL history speaks pretty highly of him. He's not much in the offensive zone, though. He's pretty much that perfect bottom pair defensive defenceman.

Our pairings now look something like:

? - Gardiner
Phaneuf - Rielly
Hunwick - Marincin

This is probably what Babcock had in mind when he said that we still needed that big, elite #1 defenceman.

Ehrhoff and Franson are good bets.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

He is defensively, but not offensively. His GA prevention is downright elite, though. And it would have to be to only be -6 in 85GP for the Oilers if you're only putting up 1G and 10A.

He's only 23, so should be getting a little better, too. He has never been a big scorer at any level, but he definitely doesn't have stone hands a la Luke Schenn.

Definitely a good pickup for the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I could see him having an Ericsson-esque kind of role with the Leafs. Not a top pairing or anything like that but played a good amount of minutes when he entered the league and really blossomed.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
It was strange for me that Leafs got D from bad Oilers, but thanks to you guys I'm warming up to this deal. Still, why no-D Oilers let this guy go? Fishy.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
It was strange for me that Leafs got D from bad Oilers, but thanks to you guys I'm warming up to this deal. Still, why no-D Oilers let this guy go? Fishy.

They also let go of Boyd Gordon who was excellent for them and the type of player they need. It could just be dumb management.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Never seen him play, but his stats are that of a good defensive guy. He easily controls the play at a top-4 level based on his Corsi and relative Corsi, and even his -6 in in 85GP in one of the worst defensive teams in modern NHL history speaks pretty highly of him. He's not much in the offensive zone, though. He's pretty much that perfect bottom pair defensive defenceman.

Our pairings now look something like:

? - Gardiner
Phaneuf - Rielly
Hunwick - Marincin

This is probably what Babcock had in mind when he said that we still needed that big, elite #1 defenceman.

Ehrhoff and Franson are good bets.

Um, no way Phaneuf is not on the top pairing. He'd be traded before being stuck on the 2nd pairing...

I get Polak (and Phaneuf) being dealt, but why not just put Robidas in that question mark? We won't be moving him likely so just keep him there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad