Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Martin Marincin to a 700k/1yr deal

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
The team needs veteran player like Robidas in the blueline. His play might not be the best last year but he brought experience for young players.

I think it will be like this:

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Polak - Rielly
Robidas - (Hunwick or Marincin)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Um, no way Phaneuf is not on the top pairing. He'd be traded before being stuck on the 2nd pairing...

I get Polak (and Phaneuf) being dealt, but why not just put Robidas in that question mark? We won't be moving him likely so just keep him there.

I don't see either Phanuef or Polak being dealt but perhaps Gardiner and/or Robidas.

could be...

Rielly/Phanuef
Marincin/Polak
Gardiner/Hunwick/Robidas

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The team needs veteran player like Robidas in the blueline. His play might not be the best last year but he brought experience for young players.

I think it will be like this:

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Polak - Rielly
Robidas - (Hunwick or Marincin)

I kinda hope Brennan makes the team (and of course that Phaneuf is gone!)

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick

Brennan

I think Robidas is 8th or 9th on the d depth chart. He probably wont play much.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Hope he turns out. We gave up a mid round pick for him, maybe flip him for an earlier pick next deadline. Worst case scenario is that he bombs and we lost the pick. Is he a ufa after this season or RFA

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Polak
Marincin - Hunwick

Brennan

I think Robidas is 8th or 9th on the d depth chart. He probably wont play much.

While I'm not saying he'll play a full season, you'll end up being surprised how much he plays i think. I still think there is 1 more trade to be had.. whether its Phaneuf, Polak or Gardiner.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Never seen him play, but his stats are that of a good defensive guy. He easily controls the play at a top-4 level based on his Corsi and relative Corsi, and even his -6 in in 85GP in one of the worst defensive teams in modern NHL history speaks pretty highly of him. He's not much in the offensive zone, though. He's pretty much that perfect bottom pair defensive defenceman.

Our pairings now look something like:

? - Gardiner
Phaneuf - Rielly
Hunwick - Marincin

This is probably what Babcock had in mind when he said that we still needed that big, elite #1 defenceman.

Ehrhoff and Franson are good bets.

I see it as:

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Polak
Marincin - Robidas
Hunwick

Hunwick rotates in if Marincin struggles and with Robidas when he is injured/needs rest. Trade Polak at the deadline for a 2nd and prospect and move Phaneuf at the draft after he (hopefully) gains trade value playing under Babcock. No need to sign another defenseman

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Good signing.

Nonis would have given him something like 7 years @ $6 Million per, with a NTC if he was still here.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Edmonton gave up on Marincin because he plays soft. He missed 2 games in the AHL 2015 playoffs as a healthy scratch. I see him as a #7 dman now with a ceiling of #5 if he can develop some grit.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I was surprised he went for next to nothing but he does have drawbacks. Plays like he's 5 feet. Didn't make the cut in Edmonton but now he's top 4 here??

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I was surprised he went for next to nothing but he does have drawbacks. Plays like he's 5 feet. Didn't make the cut in Edmonton but now he's top 4 here??

I don't recall anyone pencilling him in as a Top-4, but rather stating that he has Top-4 Potential (Something that was said since he was drafted) and that his Advanced Stats confirm this as well.

Dubas and co. traded for him because he was an analytics darling who was clearly in a log jam with Reinhart, Nurse and Klefbom all being ahead of him. Thats why the price was so low for him. He should do very well as a bottom pairing guy alongside either Hunwick or Robidas, especially under Babcock's system. I just hope his offensive game gets improved.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

Oilers D is on par with what we have, probably better.

Andrej Sekera
Mark Fayne
Andrew Ference
Oscar Klefbom
Justin Schultz
Darnell Nurse
Griffin Reinhart
-----
Nikita Nikitin (4,500,000)
Eric Gryba ( 1,250,000)

Nothing stopping us from flipping Marincin for a higher pick once he's had some experience under his belt. Solid gamble.

Last edited:

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
God, I hope Phaneuf gets traded.

Gardiner-Rielly
Hunkwick-Polak
Marincin-Robidas

Not this summer he won't. Kessel had to go because of all the other baggage. No sense in forcing Babcock to deal with that nonsense. It also reiterates the message "Anyone can be traded"

No one has ever questioned Phaneufs training or commitment to this team, only his ability and contract. After this season Babs will have him slotted correctly, playing the exact of amount of minutes he should be, whatever that may be.

Other teams will then be able to assess what he is, how he can fit into their team and the amount of cap per year we need to retain. The same goes for Bozak and JVR without Kessels influence on and off the ice.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

From what Edmonton fans have been saying, management screwed up his development big time. When he first played for the Oilers, he had a really good season. Lead the team in +/-, took a look of tough assignments as well.

Then the off-season began, and management basically told him to put on as much weight as possible before camp in september. So he did as they wanted, and put on 25 lbs. Of course, he shows up to camp, and they're all whining about how he's not as fast and agile as he was the season before (d'uh!). So he got sent down to the ahl. As the season progressed, he got better and better. Supposedly he was also lights out in a playoff series. As far as him being scratched, I don't know if he was totally healthy when that happened. He might have been injured at that point.

After all was said and done, he hated the organization for how they basically gave him the runaround, despite him doing as he was told, and he just wanted out of that place. They did a hyper Luke Schenn on him. You don't bulk up d-men too fast, or it kills their progress.

This guy could turn out to be a legit steal from the Oilers if he regains the form he had when he first played for their big team. Which shouldn't be too difficult if the trainers don't do the stupid crap the Edmonton ones did.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
From what Edmonton fans have been saying, management screwed up his development big time. When he first played for the Oilers, he had a really good season. Lead the team in +/-, took a look of tough assignments as well.

Then the off-season began, and management basically told him to put on as much weight as possible before camp in september. So he did as they wanted, and put on 25 lbs. Of course, he shows up to camp, and they're all whining about how he's not as fast and agile as he was the season before (d'uh!). So he got sent down to the ahl. As the season progressed, he got better and better. Supposedly he was also lights out in a playoff series. As far as him being scratched, I don't know if he was totally healthy when that happened. He might have been injured at that point.

After all was said and done, he hated the organization for how they basically gave him the runaround, despite him doing as he was told, and he just wanted out of that place. They did a hyper Luke Schenn on him. You don't bulk up d-men too fast, or it kills their progress.

This guy could turn out to be a legit steal from the Oilers if he regains the form he had when he first played for their big team. Which shouldn't be too difficult if the trainers don't do the stupid crap the Edmonton ones did.

Eakins screwed up the development of most of there kids and the team regressed under him . We made a low risk move and hopefully it pans out . I believe he was brought in because the plans are too try to move DP/Polak and Felice Robida a some point between now and the t/d .

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
This guy is going to make the team and run with it IMO. Expect a multi-year deal around ~$4mil by this time next year.

I wouldn't say 4mil but I have followed Maricinin for a while and i think a lot of fans will be surprised at how good he really is. I would compare him to Gunnarson when he used to play on the leafs, really solid in his own end.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
We have WAY too many left handed defenseman so some trades need to happen:

Dion Phaneuf (L): Top 2.
Roman Polak (R): Top 2 / Hopefully traded for another Right handed D-Man.
Jake Gardiner (L): We need to either trade him or Rielly their both the same type of players (I'd trade Rielly for a better return and to add to the prospect pool).
Scott Harrington (L): Top 4 / 6.
Martin Marincin (L): Top 4 /6.

Matt Hunwick (L): 7TH D-Man

T.J. Brennan (L): Send down to the Marlies.
Morgan Rielly (L): Hopefully can be traded for a legit Right handed D-man prospect.
Stephane Robidas (R): Hopefully we can trade him to a team that needs experience/depth for a pick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dion Phaneuf - Roman Polak
Scott Harrington - Jake Gardiner
Martin Marincin - (Right handed D-man we'd get from a trade)

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto

Jake Gardiner (L): We need to either trade him or Rielly their both the same type of players (I'd trade Rielly for a better return and to add to the prospect pool).

Morgan Rielly (L): Hopefully can be traded for a legit Right handed D-man prospect.
Stephane Robidas (R): Hopefully we can trade him to a team that needs experience/depth for a pick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:shakehead Rielly is one of our best prospects. Trading top end prospects to build the "prospect pool" does not make any sense.

Also, Polak is not a top 2. Plus, given that your logic here is that we need more RHD, why would we trade one for one?

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland

You my friend are a joke.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Might be the first post I have seen with someone wanting Reilly traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad