Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
the question becomes:

"Is Leivo much worst than Hyman, Brown, Smith, Martin, Bozak, Komarov" that he doesn't deserve time on ice with the Leafs?

Is this true?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leivo is better than Smith: could
Also have more offensive potential than Hyman. Give him a chance!

But I suspect he will join the ranks of Holland, Griffith and Panik of those disliked by Babcock

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Put the guy on the Matthews or kadri line please,
Brown - matthews - nylander could be a great line
Plus leivo - naz - leo would give 3 very solid lines

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leivo is better than Smith: could
Also have more offensive potential than Hyman. Give him a chance!

But I suspect he will join the ranks of Holland, Griffith and Panik of those disliked by Babcock

well then either trade Leivo, waive him or play him. What are the Leafs accomplishing by barring Leivo from playing?

As far as I am concerned it is not asset management; but more like ruining a young hockey player's career.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
well then either trade Leivo, waive him or play him. What are the Leafs accomplishing by barring Leivo from playing?

As far as I am concerned it is not asset management; but more like ruining a young hockey player's career.
or maybe he doesn't deserve to play more then the guys on the ice. But he is still an assett with value.. One that we will not undervalue in a trade, or give to another team (waive).

Because that would be bad business. Poor asset management.. And just kind of dumb.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
or maybe he doesn't deserve to play more then the guys on the ice. But he is still an assett with value.. One that we will not undervalue in a trade, or give to another team (waive).

Because that would be bad business. Poor asset management.. And just kind of dumb.

I personally feel it is dumb because they (Leafs) are ruining a young hockey player's career.

If Leafs do not want him than let him free. Let Leivo make his own future. Why are the leafs making life hard for Leivo?

Babcock gets paid well
Lou gets paid well

Leivo gets paid ok. If Leivo was going to live till he was 80 whatevver he is getting paid now will not suffice until he is 80.

Either you give Leivo a chance or trade/waive him. What leafs are doing with Leivo is just WRONG!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It's a very strange situation: like why even sign these guys if Babcock doesn't like them.

So either there's a bit of a divide between management and Babcock regarding a couple of these guys, or there's absolutely zero market for them among other teams.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's a very strange situation: like why even sign these guys if Babcock doesn't like them.

So either there's a bit of a divide between management and Babcock regarding a couple of these guys, or there's absolutely zero market for them among other teams.

It seriously is confusing and frustrating. If Babcock isn't going to play these guys signing these guys to a contract is a spot wasted.

How many contracts does the leafs have at the moment? Haven't they reached the maximum number of contracts a team can offer?

What is the point of signing guys like Leivo if the coach is not going to play them. Might as well invest in other assets/players that may bring some value into the future

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Isn't he on the IR? Instead of blaming Babcock/ Lou for not playing him maybe you guys should consider that he is legit injured

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I personally feel it is dumb because they (Leafs) are ruining a young hockey player's career.

If Leafs do not want him than let him free. Let Leivo make his own future. Why are the leafs making life hard for Leivo?

Babcock gets paid well
Lou gets paid well

Leivo gets paid ok. If Leivo was going to live till he was 80 whatevver he is getting paid now will not suffice until he is 80.

Either you give Leivo a chance or trade/waive him. What leafs are doing with Leivo is just WRONG!
There is a reason they get paid well.

Lous job is to maximize value out of our assetts. It is definately not to give away property of the Toronto maple leafs for free. If he waives or trades leivo for nothing, that is basically the equivalent of stealing from work. He doesn't own leivo. The Toronto maple leafs do. Any moves made he is accountable for.

Leivo is a chess piece. Just because we have lots of pawns doesn't mean we give them to our opponents for free.

This is a business. Maybe leivo should have worked harder in the offseason if he didn't want this kind of treatment. You're right he gets paid a decent amount.

We don't even know the full story.. Why was he injured in the offseason?

Has he been a good employee since his recent signing?

He's still employed so I'm sure he's at least somewhat happy. Even if you aren't.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There is a reason they get paid well.

Lous job is to maximize value out of our assetts. It is definately not to give away property of the Toronto maple leafs for free. If he waives or trades leivo for nothing, that is basically the equivalent of stealing from work. He doesn't own leivo. The Toronto maple leafs do. Any moves made he is accountable for.

Leivo is a chess piece. Just because we have lots of pawns doesn't mean we give them to our opponents for free.

This is a business. Maybe leivo should have worked harder in the offseason if he didn't want this kind of treatment. You're right he gets paid a decent amount.

We don't even know the full story.. Why was he injured in the offseason?

Has he been a good employee since his recent signing?

He's still employed so I'm sure he's at least somewhat happy. Even if you aren't.

I see your point. But if you do the math in today's world to live a decent life one needs at least 50K per year.

If you have family i.e. kids multiply that by 1.5

that is only if your family is fortunate enough to not run into some kind of health problems....

Basically my only beef is that either give opportunity to Leivo (because leafs have been sucking and losing games) or let Leivo go free and let him make his own future.

How would you like it if your boss at McDonalds, or wherever you worked controlled your future for like 2 to 3 years where you had no say how your life will unfold?

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
I see your point. But if you do the math in today's world to live a decent life one needs at least 50K per year.

that is only if your family is fortunate enough to not run into some kind of health problems....

Basically my only beef is that either give opportunity to Leivo (because leafs have been sucking and losing games) or let Leivo go free and let him make his own future.

How would you like it if your boss at McDonalds, or wherever you worked controlled your future for like 2 to 3 years where you had no say how your life will unfold?

I think also the other problem is we haven't had many injuries, im sure there are many situations like this across the league

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I think also the other problem is we haven't had many injuries, im sure there are many situations like this across the league

As true as your statement is I find it hard to believe that Leivo isn't good enough to play over Hyman, Brown, Smith or even Sosh.

If Leivo is that bad then Leivo shouldn't even be on a Leafs/Marlies roster. He should be moved.

P.S. The girl in your avater is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

If I signed a 2 year deal with the leafs that made me over a million dollars I wouldn't care if they made me work at the McDonald's.

Babcock alluded to leivo not having a pro summer.

He basically signed a contract for over a million dollars then took the next two months off.

Why do the leafs owe him ice time????

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If I signed a 2 year deal with the leafs that made me over a million dollars I wouldn't care if they made me work at the McDonald's.

Babcock alluded to leivo not having a pro summer.

He basically signed a contract for over a million dollars then took the next two months off.

Why do the leafs owe him ice time????

well if Leivo wasn't a good pro after signing that contract then it is time that Leivo isn't a Leaf anymore. Heck I would say it is imperative that Leivo isn't a Leaf anymore. If you are not a good pro; you will NOT BE A LEAF!!!!!!!!!!! That should be our motto.

Also....

1 million divide by 50K = 20 years so hypothetically speaking if Leivo has no other income, then by the time Leivo is about 40+, Leivo would be broke

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
well if Leivo wasn't a good pro after signing that contract then it is time that Leivo isn't a Leaf anymore. Heck I would say it is imperative that Leivo isn't a Leaf anymore. If you are not a good pro; you will NOT BE A LEAF!!!!!!!!!!! That should be our motto.

Also....

1 million divide by 50K = 20 years so hypothetically speaking if Leivo has no other income, then by the time Leivo is about 40+, Leivo would be broke
so you're saying fringe nhlers may have to look for other employment once they hit there 40's.. That's rough

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario

Also....

+ Pension ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
so you're saying fringe nhlers may have to look for other employment once they hit there 40's.. That's rough

dont take my word just do the math.

If a player signs a 1 million dollar deal in their 20s with no other sources of income; how long would that 1 million dollars last?

50K x 20 years = 1 million (not inluding taxes).

+ Pension ;)

Whats the pension? and what are the rules?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
As true as your statement is I find it hard to believe that Leivo isn't good enough to play over Hyman, Brown, Smith or even Sosh.

If Leivo is that bad then Leivo shouldn't even be on a Leafs/Marlies roster. He should be moved.

P.S. The girl in your avater is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can this discussion wait till, oh I don't know, when Leivo actually has a chance to get on the roster?

20+ games into the season, he's been legit hurt for at least half, and now he's stuck in limbo until the Holland mess is cleared. So you guys are crying about a handful of games he had a legit chance to get in the lineup.

Why is Babcock even being mentioned??? He couldn't play Leivo even if he wanted too.

I'm a pretty big Leivo fan, but this is ridiculous. Why is Brown included in your players Leivo must be better than??

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The Leivo snowflakes in this thread are pretty funny. Crying over a guy who didnt perform well enough to earn an everyday spot.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leivo is a better offensive player than Hyman and Smith, but these two players are in the line up because of their PK skills and compete level. The Leafs have enough skill in their line up. The 11th and 12th forwards have to at least be defensively responsible and/or physical, because who the hell else will bring these elements? I like Leivo as a player but I think he's a waste on the 4th line. IMO he's in the top 9 with 2nd PP time or watching from the press box.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00