Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Josh Leivo to an extension -- 2 Years/1 Way | $612.5K AAV

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
He is settling in to his new vacation home on Corrado Island unfortunately.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
well hes on the team, hes practicing with team, coaching staff sees him play...if they dont think hes better than hyman, brown, or sosh on the wings, well hes not gonna play then unless injuries hit us

i dont even think hes better than kappy or leipsic at this point

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Just thinking out loud here: The Leafs have to expose a forward under contract through next season to the expansion draft. With this contract Leivo would meet that part of the requirement. He would also have to play forty games in the remainder of the season, however, which seems a little doubtful at present. I think it would be easier to sign Froese and play him 14 games this season. But if Leivo does start to see regular duty, the expansion draft could be one underlying reason for this contract.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I really want to see Leivo play. Obviously a small sample size last year, but during his games I was left rather impressed. I want to see more of him though.

Not sure who would want Holland though. At this point I would not complain if he just waived him, but obviously a trade would be preferred if we could get a 5th rounder or so. Perhaps Montreal would have interest as they are hurting for Centre depth.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I really want to see Leivo play. Obviously a small sample size last year, but during his games I was left rather impressed. I want to see more of him though.

Not sure who would want Holland though. At this point I would not complain if he just waived him, but obviously a trade would be preferred if we could get a 5th rounder or so. Perhaps Montreal would have interest as they are hurting for Centre depth.

eh, its becoming increasingly obvious that Holland isn't linked to Leivo, if babs wanted leivo in arrangements would be made. Babcock has a habit of blaming players for injuries and he said as much at the start of the season. I'm not sure we will see much of Leivo at all unfortunately

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

montreal says hi, or oui

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
montreal says hi, or oui

Holland and bozak (2 x C's) for the low low price of a 1st, juulsen and something else

6'3" RHD 19 points in 24 games for everitt in the WHL, I think we should trade something to Montreal to try and get him

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The eye test on Leivo, for me, when comparing to all of the rookie forwards (Soshnikov, Brown, Hyman, Matthews, Nylander and Marner) is that he doesn't have what they have. The balance, the edges, the leg strength and the upper body strength is better in all 6 of them. And only Hyman is older than Leivo.

Leivo is simply just a modest asset that Lou doesn't want to throw away for nothing. What I'm hoping to see happen (with Holland as well) is the Leafs find a way to turn him into an expansion draft qualifying body to protect the team from being forced to expose more valuable assets like Bozak or Komarov in order to satisfy NHL expansion exposure rules.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No reason he doesn't get a few games, give Hyman a few days off.

Not a chance, it would be make nylander watch for a game or 2 or sosh maybe even brown, we all need to get used to the fact no matter what Hyman does he will be on the team for a long long time

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not a chance, it would be make nylander watch for a game or 2 or sosh maybe even brown, we all need to get used to the fact no matter what Hyman does he will be on the team for a long long time

If Hyman is doing what he's asked to do why would he be sat?

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
Leivo is a much better hockey player than Hyman, we are going to regret not giving him a chance, his board work is nothing short of wizardry. He will be a 15-20 goal a year guy with the right icetime and line mates elsewhere.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Hyman is doing what he's asked to do why would he be sat?

just pointing out no matter how inept he is at his job he wont be moved down or out of the lineup, for leivo to get a game its very obvious babs is going to stick with hyman on Matthews line for a very long time to prove he is right so sayong "hyman can rest a couple of games for leivo" isn't going to be a thing that's all im saying.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
just pointing out no matter how inept he is at his job he wont be moved down or out of the lineup, for leivo to get a game its very obvious babs is going to stick with hyman on Matthews line for a very long time to prove he is right so sayong "hyman can rest a couple of games for leivo" isn't going to be a thing that's all im saying.

Hard to determine if he's inept when we don't know what he's being asked to do.

If he's asked to be the scoring winger, absolutely he's inept. I doubt he's in that role though.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hard to determine if he's inept when we don't know what he's being asked to do.

If he's asked to be the scoring winger, absolutely he's inept. I doubt he's in that role though.

well then that is insane, sending 3 forwards out there and 1 of them has a different plan. terrible coaching if that is the plan I don't think it is I would lean more inept scoring winger.

Boils down to inept coach or inept scoring winger, im backing winger I like babs even though he can make a poor decision there is no way he is sabotaging an entire line by give 2 or 3 different messages to its forwards

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wasn't saying Panik was bad. I actually think Leivo has a much better shot.

craziest thing is what is the thing this forward group is missing most? a very good shot this reason alone should be enough to get him a good run of games once we lose dead weight Dutchy (Holland). Not only on the team but with Matthews or nylander on a line, not leisure skating with Smith and martin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad