Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This is kind of "an aside" question re: Grundstrom (and other Swedes/Finns too).

Does Sweden (Finland too?) still require 2 years military service? Was this not the case, at least in the '90s/2000s?

Not sure about Sweden but I believe Finland just announced the re-instatement of mandatory military service.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Not sure about Sweden but I believe Finland just announced the re-instatement of mandatory military service.

After doing some research, I found out that Finland always had, and still does, have mandatory military service - actually found an article with an interview with Komarov talking about it.

Sweden HAD it, until 2004 (I think), but they are re-instating as of 2018 I believe I read.

I guess the athletes now have to option to service the required time in segments (couple off seasons as an example).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

its pretty cool system, I have a Norwegian friend and she said they have to do the 1 year service but once you do it university is free (I have to take her word on this), I imagine its a similar sort of thing in Sweden/Finland?.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Gotta think he's a long shot to make the NHL next year, and I doubt we'd even have a spot for him. Let him flourish in the AHL with guys like Timashov, Johnsson, Rychel, Brooks, Bracco, etc

Harold Ballard

Klutchperi Kapanen
Jan 27, 2017
its pretty cool system, I have a Norwegian friend and she said they have to do the 1 year service but once you do it university is free (I have to take her word on this), I imagine its a similar sort of thing in Sweden/Finland?.

Years ago Gibson, Marlies backup talked about how he had to do it

Pholus

May 23, 2014
did Nylander have an out clause? I always wondered what happened there. Maybe next season the SHL and NHL have an agreement no Swedish players in AHL and if we sign him now they avoid that and Grundstrom can play AHL nest season

I believe Nylander terminated his contract with MODO some time around the draft, and then the Leafs loaned him back to MODO after they drafted him (although I can't find any record of this now).

But they don't have to sign him to leave him in Sweden so why would they bother?

All I can think of is to ensure he comes over next year? A show of our high interest in him?
It's not like we can lose him to another team.

Yeah, I don't really understand the timing of it either. He still has another year left on his SHL contract, so why bother to sign him if he's going to stay in Sweden? Since his ELC won't slide, it just wastes the 1st year, and makes it less likely that the Leafs will get some nice NHL production out of him in the 3rd year of that ELC. If they're signing him now, I'd hope it's because they want him on the Marlies next year, but even then I don't really like the move. The Marlies are going to be full of wingers, and he'll probably get the same treatment as Kapanen/Timashov/Johnsson, starting on the 3rd/4th line and working his way up. IMO, it would be better for him to stay in Sweden and play 2nd line minutes and special teams while working on his offensive game than it would be for him to come over and play 4th line minutes for half a year before hopefully working his way up (no guarantee he gets more ice time though). It's not like staying 1 extra year in Sweden is going to hurt his development.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
he and Korshkov excite me. Both surely have NHL futures.

Yup.

And both could play in the NHL as early as next season, though with our logjam, we have the ability to allow them to ripen even more.

I'm excited because they seem exactly the type of support players we need.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I believe Nylander terminated his contract with MODO some time around the draft, and then the Leafs loaned him back to MODO after they drafted him (although I can't find any record of this now).

Yeah, I don't really understand the timing of it either. He still has another year left on his SHL contract, so why bother to sign him if he's going to stay in Sweden? Since his ELC won't slide, it just wastes the 1st year, and makes it less likely that the Leafs will get some nice NHL production out of him in the 3rd year of that ELC. If they're signing him now, I'd hope it's because they want him on the Marlies next year, but even then I don't really like the move. The Marlies are going to be full of wingers, and he'll probably get the same treatment as Kapanen/Timashov/Johnsson, starting on the 3rd/4th line and working his way up. IMO, it would be better for him to stay in Sweden and play 2nd line minutes and special teams while working on his offensive game than it would be for him to come over and play 4th line minutes for half a year before hopefully working his way up (no guarantee he gets more ice time though). It's not like staying 1 extra year in Sweden is going to hurt his development.

The only way it makes sense is if he's coming over next year. Unless I'm missing something.

These are nice

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
What's the hold up on this? I wouldn't be surprised to also see Bracco, Brooks and Korostelev signed in the near future.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What's the hold up on this? I wouldn't be surprised to also see Bracco, Brooks and Korostelev signed in the near future.

Waiting for the season to be over? Maybe even after the World Championships if he's selected to play for them?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

in terms of Grundstrom if they sign him to ELC and he came over for a few gams with the marlies he would count against 50 contracts no? if that is the case we cant do that we are at 50 contracts already.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Waiting for the season to be over? Maybe even after the World Championships if he's selected to play for them?

I was under the impression that his season was over and as Walshy pointed out, he might count towards the 50 contract limit if he plays for the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
in terms of Grundstrom if they sign him to ELC and he came over for a few gams with the marlies he would count against 50 contracts no? if that is the case we cant do that we are at 50 contracts already.

I was under the impression that his season was over and as Walshy pointed out, he might count towards the 50 contract limit if he plays for the Marlies.

I'm not overly familiar with their playoffs... but aren't they in them now or something? I could be wrong there. I'm not sure if he's playing right now.

And signing Grundstrom wouldn't count against the 50 contract limit until July 1st. He would sign an ATO for the remainder of the season, and then his contract would kick in July 1st.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
most likely the holdup is lou putting it off due to media reporting it before it happened. It has been said if other teams leak trade info before its official he would call the trade off, could be in this case john Shannon ruined it for everybody by trying to be an insider

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm not overly familiar with their playoffs... but aren't they in them now or something? I could be wrong there. I'm not sure if he's playing right now.

And signing Grundstrom wouldn't count against the 50 contract limit until July 1st. He would sign an ATO for the remainder of the season, and then his contract would kick in July 1st.

tweet that started this thread specifically states signing his ELC, signing an ATO would not be much fanfare and would likely be done the day before he played his 1st game with the marlies

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
tweet that started this thread specifically states signing his ELC, signing an ATO would not be much fanfare and would likely be done the day before he played his 1st game with the marlies

He still signs an ELC which starts July 1st. If he was to join the Marlies, then he would sign an ATO prior to his ELC kicking in.

This is how players signed and added to the AHL after their CHLs/EU seasons are done. They formerly sign their ELC and it's reported as so, but they technically don't kick in until July 1st, which is why it's required they sign an ATO if they are to join an AHL team for the rest of the season and the playoffs. And that's why they don't count towards the 50 contract limit. It's exactly what happened to that kid the Pens signed a few days ago that was heavily sought after.

It's pretty rare that a player requires you to burn a year off their ELC. Grunstrom won't touch the NHL ice this season, so we're not going to make that happen regardless.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not sure what the hoop-lah is to get Bracco signed. Zero progression in his defensive game, really. He's not a whole lot more than what we drafted a few years ago. He's still a one dimensional winger with gaping holes in his game.

Didomenico 2.0

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Not sure what the hoop-lah is to get Bracco signed. Zero progression in his defensive game, really. He's not a whole lot more than what we drafted a few years ago. He's still a one dimensional winger with gaping holes in his game.

Didomenico 2.0

I'm reserving any further judgement on him until I see him in the AHL. I feel like he'll look good in the AHL almost immediately but struggle to make the next jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad