Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Awesome. Grundstrom is like a more skilled Hyman, meaning another glue guy. Probably my fav remaining prospect.

Leafs could really use a Zuccarello or J.T Miller type player. Grundstrom sounds like a player with the tenacity of these guys.

Leafs are loaded with skill... I agree they need more Komarov type glue guys. Hyman is good, but he's not as physical as I'd like to see him. He doesn't have to run around like Martin, but it would be nice if he was a little bit unpredictable. He's one of the hardest workers, but rarely will you see him finish a check.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Leafs could really use a Zuccarello or J.T Miller type player. Grundstrom sounds like a player with the tenacity of these guys.

Leafs are loaded with skill... I agree they need more Komarov type glue guys. Hyman is good, but he's not as physical as I'd like to see him. He doesn't have to run around like Martin, but it would be nice if he was a little bit unpredictable. He's one of the hardest workers, but rarely will you see him finish a check.

He's clone of Leo with a little more scoring.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Better hands than Uncle Leo...there may be timbits players with better hands lol. Hornqvist is a good comparable though. Isn't that who people compared him to at the draft?

Yet if you combine the last two seasons, for players with over 40 games, Leo is 1st and 6th in shooting percentage.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope he transitions well to the Marlies. We really need a prospect like that to flourish.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hoping greenway is best to follow!

Really starting to love the leafs management!

Greenway will go back to college almost certainly. We don't have a lot of room on the marlies and he isn't NHL ready. Apparently we signed Rosen today and dermott will challenge for NHL that's 2 bottom pair lhd right there then the marlies have dermott or Rosen whoever doesn't make it, Nielsen and valiev and derocher is done Jnr eligibility

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Greenway will go back to college almost certainly. We don't have a lot of room on the marlies and he isn't NHL ready. Apparently we signed Rosen today and dermott will challenge for NHL that's 2 bottom pair lhd right there then the marlies have dermott or Rosen whoever doesn't make it, Nielsen and valiev and derocher is done Jnr eligibility

Greenway should definitely spend another 1-2 years in the NCAA.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Greenway should be spending at least 3 years in the NCAA, if not his full 4.

Grundstrom was a great pick. He adds even more of a jam to our wing position. Something's gotta give.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
If we can replace Bozak (move Nylander off the wing for the 2C role) and JVR with Grundstrom and Korshkov over the next 2 years, I think it's a sign that management intends their biggest push to be for the 18/19 season. Marner and Matthews would still be on ELC's, Nylander and Kadri would be the only two players over 5 mil in our entire top-9. That's a core that can easily afford to add more than one big piece at the deadline or UFA. Adding a 2009-era Hossa type to this core would be huge if the defense is sorted out by then.

Grundstrom-Matthews-UFA
Kapanen-Nylander-Korshkov
Komarov-Kadri-Marner
Hyman-Gauthier-Leipsic

Long-term you hope to hit on a Saad level pick in the 20-60 range to replace the top line slot once Matthews and Marner get paid. Other than Komarov, that lineup is easily sustainable for 5 years.

hd1344

Nov 16, 2012
The Hammer
Looks like a guy who will be a nice complimentary piece to a scoring line.

Adding to this logjam of wingers, though. Then again, assuming some of these prospects can hold on to their perceived values, some can be used as trade chips for other areas of need.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yet if you combine the last two seasons, for players with over 40 games, Leo is 1st and 6th in shooting percentage.

Does any single player on this team get more tap in goals than him? I like Leo a lot, but he certainly benefits from having much more skilled players around him. He's smart about it though, go to the net. It's that simple.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
That may be a bit of a stretch at this point. What's the rush when we have so many wing prospects who've been overcooked already in the minors?

Maybe. From what I've seen/heard of this kid, sounds like Babcock will love him. He loves the elite drives after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad