Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign goaltender Harri Sateri (claimed by the Coyotes)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Just assumed since Habs were first pick on waiver claims they could do sign and trade.
I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but either way:

-If Montreal signed Sateri, he would still need waivers before Montreal could trade him. In that case ARI claims Sateri, no Sateri to Leafs
-If Toronto signs Sateri, but then has a side deal in place with MTL for them to claim him to stop all other teams, and then trade him to the Leafs, there is a wrinkle in the CBA that any played claimed off waivers that is then traded, they must first be offered to all other teams that put in a claim. In that case ARI claims Sateri, no Sateri to Leafs

Toronto did it the only way they could, and it just didn't work out

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So is it me or am I taking crazy pills didn't the Leafs just acquire Carter Hutton about a month a go?
Hutton is more insurance if 2 or 3 goalies go down. He won't play unless he absolutely has to.
Sateri, while untested, was a shot in the dark pick up. Play him hoping he can be an NHL goalie, and if not then you stash him in the minors and treat him as insurance if, again, goalies ahead of him go down.

It was more like we know Hutton is bottom of the pecking order, but Sateri could go be a mystery box. Could go beside Hutton at the bottom, but could be top of the order

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

That wasn’t the case for 32-year-old journeyman Harri Sateri, who was signed as insurance following a gold-medal performance for Finland at the Beijing Olympics. He’d hoped to be part of a playoff run in Toronto but wound up being claimed by the Arizona Coyotes instead.

There were actually multiple claims processed on Sateri, per sources, including one from the Ottawa Senators.

“It didn’t work out. Much like a lot of the players we put on waivers,” Dubas told reporters Monday. “I think we lead the league here by I think double since 2018 in the fall. We’ve had 11 guys claimed, which I think is double.”

“It’s a good advertisement for agents: If you want your players to come to a place where they’re going to get lots of attention and get claimed [sign in Toronto]. It’s probably a feather in our cap, but it hurts at moments like this.”

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

That wasn’t the case for 32-year-old journeyman Harri Sateri, who was signed as insurance following a gold-medal performance for Finland at the Beijing Olympics. He’d hoped to be part of a playoff run in Toronto but wound up being claimed by the Arizona Coyotes instead.

There were actually multiple claims processed on Sateri, per sources, including one from the Ottawa Senators.

“It didn’t work out. Much like a lot of the players we put on waivers,” Dubas told reporters Monday. “I think we lead the league here by I think double since 2018 in the fall. We’ve had 11 guys claimed, which I think is double.”

“It’s a good advertisement for agents: If you want your players to come to a place where they’re going to get lots of attention and get claimed [sign in Toronto]. It’s probably a feather in our cap, but it hurts at moments like this.”
He's not wrong. Since the start of the 2018-19 season, Leafs have had 12 players claimed off waivers, including Sateri. Next closest in that timeframe are Montreal and Winnipeg with 6 each.

First time in the past decade a team has lost players 5 times to waivers, in one season, too (though, no team had lost 4 in one year before this year and Seattle, Tampa, and Vegas have all lost 4 as well, and this is the highest number of waiver claims across the League, period, in that same timeframe, so just a weird year to begin with)

Reactions: hockeywiz542

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What does Montreal have to do with this?

Also, the kid is 32. He's been playing professional hockey for 15 years.

Coyotes just traded their backup to DAL. They need another backup. Next time have a deal in place to claim-and-trade with Montreal or to bribe Seattle / Arizona not to take him.
Claim-and-trade isn't a real option. Any team who was beat out by Montreal (aka Arizona) would get a chance to claim Sateri before he could be traded to Toronto, if they still want him

And bribery isn't a real option either... Best you could get away with is trading ARI a player for future considerations with the hopes and understanding and goodwill they won't claim Sateri (but nothing legally stopping them from doing so), and then another team could just claim him. Not going to trade f.c.s to all 31 other teams

To get Sateri, this was Toronto's best path, and it didn't work out. End of story, really :dunno:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's not wrong. Since the start of the 2018-19 season, Leafs have had 12 players claimed off waivers, including Sateri. Next closest in that timeframe are Montreal and Winnipeg with 6 each.

First time in the past decade a team has lost players 5 times to waivers, in one season, too (though, no team had lost 4 in one year before this year and Seattle, Tampa, and Vegas have all lost 4 as well, and this is the highest number of waiver claims across the League, period, in that same timeframe, so just a weird year to begin with)

If you're signing a bunch of players that are ending up on waivers, that you are trying to get out of their contracts, does that not reflect on the person signing then as perhaps mistakes in the first place?

The glass 1/2 full suggest because others want them for free that they were good signings, but the opposite side of the coin glass 1/2 empty would claim even the Leafs didn't want them and they also had no trade value only dispersal value of zero return.

Leaf could have had even more than 5 waiver claims had Ritchie or Mrazek or Clifford etc been claimed, because even for free there was no interest, because their contracts were too unpalatable.

Basically the counterpoint being if you're signing a bunch of players that are then taken to the curve being tossed away, is that really a good thing or a bad thing in terms of signings, good contracts, asset management, cap management etc debates just because you were able to find new homes for some of them as opposed to sticking them now unwanted in the AHL?

He's not wrong. Leafs have signed and then tossed away more players than any other team, those players being essentially ones they signed and now no longer want on their roster, being discarded and written off as signing mistakes, regardless if they are claimed or not claimed for free. Coincidentally start of the 2018-19 season time frame lso coincides with the hiring date of our current GM.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Do they waive more players on average than other teams? Maybe start signing players that you won't eventually waive should be the approach.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you're signing a bunch of players that are ending up on waivers, that you are trying to get out of their contracts, does that not reflect on the person signing then as perhaps mistakes in the first place?

The glass 1/2 full suggest because others want them for free that they were good signings, but the opposite side of the coin glass 1/2 empty would claim even the Leafs didn't want them and they also had no trade value only dispersal value of zero return.

Leaf could have had even more than 5 waiver claims had Ritchie or Mrazek or Clifford been claimed, but even for free there was no interest, because their contracts were too unpalatable.

Basically the counterpoint being if you're signing a bunch of players that are then taken to the curve being tossed away, is that really a good thing or a bad thing in terms of signings, contracts asset management etc debates just because you were able to find new homes for some of them as opposed to sticking them now unwanted in the AHL?

You never cease to amaze me with your ability to try to spin things into a negative.

It probably has a lot to do with us signing a lot of players in the bottom 6 to promote competition and not having enough roster spots for all of them.

I have no clue how you call yourself a fan of this team.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If you're signing a bunch of players that ending up on waivers that you are trying to get out of their contracts, does that not reflect on the person signing then as perhaps mistakes?

The glass 1/2 full suggest because others want them for free that they were good signings but the opposite side of the coin glass 1/2 empty would claim even the Leafs didn't want them and they also had no trade value only dispersal value of zero return.

Leaf could have had even more than 5 waiver claims had Ritchie or Mrazek or Clifford been claimed, but even for free there was no interest.

Basically the counterpoint being if you're signing a bunch of players that are then taken to the curve being tossed away is that really a good thing or a bad thing interms of signings, contracts asset management etc debates?
To answer your question, with all due respect, Mess, no.
And I think suggesting a player being put on waivers means signing/acquiring that player was a mistake is a little disingenuous.

Did Leafs move on from the likes of Vesey, Ritchie, and recently waive Mrazek? Yes, but I doubt many would claim acquisitions of McElhinney, Dell, Amadio, Dzingel, Sateri were mistakes, then or now. At worst they were zero-effect acquisitions, but frankly were well-intended depth options and free wallets.

Acquiring depth and insurance is an important job. Every year, teams have to make the call to send those players down to adjust their roster. Sometimes its bad contracts, sometimes its quality players that other teams would like to use for their own depth, and sometimes it's nothing risked, nothing lost, like Timashov or Shore being claimed, or guys like Kivihalme, Seney, Dahlstrom, Biega, clearing without other teams batting an eye. But overall it's better to have more competition for those depth roles than a dearth.

In a League where 85+% of players require waivers, putting players on waivers is hardly an indicator of a GM's mistakes

I will concede we did offer up Ritchie and Mrazek for free, but so were names like Turris, Myers, Sekera, Perreault, Paquette, Jankowski, Rask, Connolly, Tinordi, Neal, Khudobin, Del Zotto, Harrington, Murray, Comeau, Hamonic, all in failed attempts to tempt other teams to take the contract.

I don't think the narrative is/should be that Dubas is bad for signing players that didn't end up staying on the roster, nor that Dubas is good for signing players that other teams wanted. I think that narrative is much more simply, "Holy shit, Toronto has been hosed by waiver claims twice as many times as any other team in the past 5 years. That's ridiculous. Please let me off the ride."

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Do they waive more players on average than other teams? Maybe start signing players that you won't eventually waive should be the approach.
Good thing I have a job where I can look like I'm doing serious work when I'm on here :laugh:
But I didn't go back further than this past year, cause even I have limits

TeamPlacedClaimedPercent
Anaheim1300%
Arizona1100%
Boston1716%
Buffalo11218%
Calgary10110%
Carolina1400%
Chicago6117%
Colorado1119%
Columbus1200%
Dallas1100%
Detroit1119%
Edmonton2100%
Florida8338%
Los Angeles10220%
Minnesota1417%
Montreal1517%
Nashville1119%
New Jersey12217%
NY Islanders1915%
NY Rangers9111%
Ottawa1300%
Philadelphia9222%
Pittsburgh500%
St. Louis1300%
San Jose1400%
Seattle13431%
Tampa Bay15427%
Toronto17529%
Vancouver2727%
Vegas7457%
Washington13215%
Winnipeg1119%
LEAGUE4034311%

T-4th in waived
1st in claimed
5th in percent claimed (pretty small sample size to compare percentages though, my math and stats profs are probably ashamed)

So Toronto is near the top, but it's also tightly packed (but I'm not going to run a regression on it or calculate standard deviation, sorry!)
Of course, injuries and what not will affect, season-to-season, why a team may move players more than others, and roster age and experience will affect how many players actually need waivers. And then of course, you're at the complete whim of the timing of waivers and the state of other teams' roster (injuries, performances, etc.) that will effect the liklihood of a player being claimed (like how so many players clear at the start of the season)

But overall an interesting exercise. This year we did waive a little more than most teams, but even if we assume that trend is true over the past five years, doubling the next team on players claimed is pretty ludicrous.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Good thing I have a job where I can look like I'm serious work when I'm on here :laugh:
But I didn't go back past this year, cause even I have limits

TeamPlacedClaimedPercent
Anaheim1300%
Arizona1100%
Boston1716%
Buffalo11218%
Calgary10330%
Carolina1400%
Chicago6117%
Colorado1119%
Columbus1200%
Dallas1100%
Detroit1119%
Edmonton2100%
Florida8338%
Los Angeles10220%
Minnesota1417%
Montreal1517%
Nashville1119%
New Jersey12217%
NY Islanders1915%
NY Rangers9111%
Ottawa1300%
Philadelphia9222%
Pittsburgh500%
St. Louis1300%
San Jose1400%
Seattle13431%
Tampa Bay15427%
Toronto17529%
Vancouver2727%
Vegas7457%
Washington13515%
Winnipeg1119%

4th in waived
1st in claimed
5th in percent claimed

So Toronto is near the top, but it's also tightly packed (but I'm not going to run a regression on it or calculate standard deviation, sorry!)
Of course, injuries and what not will affect, season-to-season, why a team may move players more than others, and roster age and experience will affect how many players actually need waivers. And then of course, you're at the complete whim of the timing of waivers and the state of other teams' roster (injuries, performances, etc.) that will effect the liklihood of a player being claimed (like how so many players clear at the start of the season)

But overall an interesting exercise. This year we did waive a little more than most teams, but even if we assume that trend is true over the past five years, doubling the next team on players claimed is pretty ludicrous.
If Washington waived less guys but had the same amount claimed should their percent be higher than the Leafs?

Interesting to look at. Personally I don't see any bias, probably more to do with the quality being waived then some league wide conspiracy.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If Washington waived less guys but had the same amount claimed should their percent be higher than the Leafs?

Interesting to look at. Personally I don't see any bias, probably more to do with the quality being waived then some league wide conspiracy.
Typo, thanks!
Washington only had Jonsson-Fjallby and Cholowski this year.
Fixed

Reactions: ACC1224

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So why are they doing it ? The fans, the GM, the Pres, the owner ?? Would be interesting to see what the numbers are for the previous GMs/Pres.
Just going back to 2010:
-Lou had two while he was here, Granberg and Griffith (but has had only 1 since in NYI and only 2 in NJD going back to 2010 before us - nobody claims from Lou lol)
-Nonis had none in his two years here
-Burke had 2 going back to 2010 (Boyce, Aucoin)

Again, context matters though. No one wanted our players on those Nonis teams, especially :laugh: Our spare parts were like Dupuis, Rosehill, Hamilton, Broll, Devane, Orr, McLaren, Smithson, Abbott, Ashton, Kozun, Carrick, Bailey, Sill lol
We've been, undeniably, waiving higher quality players in the past few years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad