Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Seems what many saw as a disastrous off season with Bert, Domi, Reaves and Klingberg didn't turn of so badly compared to, oh let's say Ryan Shea, Joona Koppanen, Radim Zohorna, and Erik Karlsson.

It's fairly transparent that the loudest opponents of this-past offseason here were also the loudest proponents of the teams that won one playoff series in 5 years...

Leafs fans they call themselves.

Reactions: egd27

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Taking runs at Florida was awesome. My only gripe is pretty oversaid, he shouldn't he saying that oh well X player wasn't on the ice during my shift so that's why I didn't engage someone. That point has never mattered, jump anybody on their team.

Hes been fun lately. Brought some antics and Pat Maroon isms that we've really struggled with. We'll be able to measure effectiveness in the playoffs but he's been a much bigger factor than Gregor that's for sure

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's no coincidence that the loudest opponents of this-past offseason were also the loudest proponents of the teams that won one playoff series in 5 years...

"Leafs fans" they call themselves.
I will say that I was an opponent of many of the offseason moves and also a supporter of our path and organization building of the past five years. None of these are binary statements, I am not happy about everything from the past five years and did not dislike everything from the offseason.

At the time, I liked:

Bertuzzi signing
Domi signing
Gregor PTO
Samsonov limited term and amount

I strongly disliked:

Klingberg signing

I was relatively unimpressed by

Reaves term
Kampf term and amount

Once the season started I was proved correct about Klingberg and Samsonov, Reaves, Bertuzzi, Domi, and Kampf all looked bad.

Now most of them look great. I never thought Reaves would take a regular shift in the NHL again, now I have difficulty having him as a scratch in my playoff lineup projections.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I will say that I was an opponent of many of the offseason moves and also a supporter of our path and organization building of the past five years. None of these are binary statements, I am not happy about everything from the past five years and did not dislike everything from the offseason.

At the time, I liked:

Bertuzzi signing
Domi signing
Gregor PTO
Samsonov limited term and amount

I strongly disliked:

Klingberg signing

I was relatively unimpressed by

Reaves term
Kampf term and amount

Once the season started I was proved correct about Klingberg and Samsonov, Reaves, Bertuzzi, Domi, and Kampf all looked bad.

Now most of them look great. I never thought Reaves would take a regular shift in the NHL again, now I have difficulty having him as a scratch in my playoff lineup projections.

It's a long, long regular season in the NHL.

Long enough where you don't need to make sweeping conclusions over the first 20 games-played.

Players have long enough track records where you can allow some rope to settle into a new environment where they're adapting to the team's existing playstyle but also the team also adapting to THEIR playstyle.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It's a long, long regular season in the NHL.

Long enough where you don't need to make sweeping conclusions over the first 20 games-played.

Players have long enough track records where you can let them settle into a new environment where they're adapting to the team's existing playstyle but also the team also adapting to THEIR playstyle.
Obviously this is a true statement. I was getting worried but not passing judgement on Bertuzzi and Domi.

Having said that I NEVER got the Klingberg signing. It made no sense and ate a lot of our cap space. I also can't believe the bounce back both Reaves and Samsonov had - these do not have a lot of precedent for them.

banks

W W 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've noticed Reaves in a lot of good ways recently. I'm glad this thread got a positive bump.

Reaves has done a good job forechecking and tying up pucks on the boards. You need simple plays like that from the 4th line. Add in that he gets a lot of attention form the other team. It's funny, you can notice when he's on the ice that opposing players keep an eye on him. Their heads turn to track where Reaves is.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I've noticed Reaves in a lot of good ways recently. I'm glad this thread got a positive bump.

Reaves has done a good job forechecking and tying up pucks on the boards. You need simple plays like that from the 4th line. Add in that he gets a lot of attention form the other team. It's funny, you can notice when he's on the ice that opposing players keep an eye on him. Their heads turn to track where Reaves is.
Yes, I don't really care if he's fighting dudes, to me it's his physicality and forechecking and always being on the right side of the counter attack. He was "lumbering" around prior to the injury, but since he's slotted back anytime he's been on the fourth line it's looked good, plenty of zone time and his moxy adds an element we need. I can't see him as a liability anywhere, with the exception of defensive zone deployment to protect a late third lead like Monday....that's on Keefe.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, I don't think Keefe will deploy the 4th line in critical situations during the playoffs, ie. defensive zone faceoff protecting a lead in the 3rd period. That said, I do expect him to maintain his stubbornness in using them immediately after a goal for. It will never make sense to me how predictable and ineffective that tactic is. I honestly don't even blame the 4th line for that. What do you expect from them having to play the full sheet against the opposing teams top unit?

All that said, Reavo has been great since his return, and I am happy to see I am not alone in that assessment. He's a guy who can drag us into the fight if we don't have it on any given night. You can see the difference in physical confidence in guys like Domi, Bert, Gio, Benny, McMann, Caber...etc. Not suggesting Reavo is entirely responsible for that increased swagger and willingness but I do think the presence of a true alpha on the bench makes guys play a lot taller. Those guys aren't afraid of answering the bell on light/middleweights knowing that they won't eventually be chased up and down the ice by their heavy's.

The other team can chirp Reavo all they want about his playing time, or lack thereof. But at the end of the day a guy like that can moderate the game even without stepping foot on the ice.

You look at Schenner in game 3 against the bolts last year as a perfect example of how to police the game without ever needing to physically step in. Reilly and Point get tangled up and point goes flying into the boards. A brawl then takes place. In the immediate aftermath, Schenn just posts up in between the 2 benches and shuts up that lightning bench. Nothing came of that situation the remainder of the game or the series. The boys still played physically, and they never backed down from the fight.

That is what I expect Reavo will bring in the playoffs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Love that he's hitting everything in sight. We need their defensemen looking over their shoulder in fear, eventually they're going to make a mistake. That and driving the net are the biggest things he has to provide when he's not fighting. He should have 3-4 hits every game.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s looked good in his limited time on ice. You’d think this fit would be perfect for a team like Toronto who is forward heavy. Have Reaves play his 8 minutes and double shift any of the 11+ million dollar forwards.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Reaves was a beast last night.

If he can keep his energy up and stay focused, it will be tough to bump him out of the lineup.

I'm already expecting to see a mix of different players go in and come out of the lineup. Sort of situational, depending on last change and who needs a break.

Question. Is Reaves known as a player that steps up in the playoffs?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Reaves was a beast last night.

If he can keep his energy up and stay focused, it will be tough to bump him out of the lineup.

I'm already expecting to see a mix of different players go in and come out of the lineup. Sort of situational, depending on last change and who needs a break.

Question. Is Reaves known as a player that steps up in the playoffs?
I mean the dude has won and played in more playoff series/round than most of the core players

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We know a Leaf will get suspended in round one. I just hope it's not Reaves, though I know Parros and Sportsnet are already on the case.
Reaves seem to be very aware.

I've noticed he's laid off delivering huge hits this season because you can tell he doesn't want to take a penalty or do something borderline to get suspended.

This also isn't his first rodeo. He has multiple playoff games under his belt, so he knows what to do I think

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad