Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Ryan Reaves (3 years, $1.3M AAV)

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
He's looked like an NHL player since coming back into the lineup. Knows his role, keeps other teams accountable, and can actually make plays on the forecheck. Most surprisingly (and doesn't look pretty), he's been winning races to pucks.

While he hasn't been dropping the gloves as of late, you can't argue that he hasn't been a deterrent. He allows everyone to play bigger and ensures that guys like McCabe, Knies, etc. don't have to answer for the hits they throw.

Should be in the lineup Game 1 in the playoffs (if he keeps this up).

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
He's looked like an NHL player since coming back into the lineup. Knows his role, keeps other teams accountable, and can actually make plays on the forecheck. Most surprisingly (and doesn't look pretty), he's been winning races to pucks.

While he hasn't been dropping the gloves as of late, you can't argue that he hasn't been a deterrent. He allows everyone to play bigger and ensures that guys like McCabe, Knies, etc. don't have to answer for the hits they throw.

Should be in the lineup Game 1 in the playoffs (if he keeps this up).

Crazy to say this, but Gregor is the one I waive once Jarnkrok is back.

Reaves has a purpose and honestly has looked pretty good since his return.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Seems like Reaves has to be with the right linemates to be effective these days. I've had no complaints about his play as of late. It doesn't hurt him or the team that he doesn't play every night. I think where he is in his career, playing 35-45 nights a season is about right.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
There have been a lot of good individual storylines this season, including:

-Benoit's emergence
-Matty 60+ Goals (again)
- Bobby McMann coming out party
-Sammy coming back from the dumps

But I think among those good stories, one of them has to be the evolution of Reavo's game. It is not too often that you see a 4th liner who was playing as little as he was, costing his team games in the fashion that he was earlier in the year. That said, since getting back into the lineup, Reavo has been excellent IMO. He's laying the body, making their D pay a price, and overall is just helping give that 4th line an identity for the first time in years.

I would have never expected to see that a couple months back, and I think he deserves a ton of credit for sticking with it and forcing Keefe's hand.

At this point, he is in my starting lineup come game 1. I think his style of play is something we've lacked in years past. We may lose a battle or 2, but with a guy like him in the lineup I think we are better served to win the war.

By no means do I think he is a lock for our lineup night in and night out, but he was virtually unplayable earlier in the year.

It is a very small sample size, but since the Dewar - Kampf - Reaves line was assembled they have been on the ice for 2GF and 0GA at 5v5 (26mins TOI). All while commanding over 60% in both xGF and HDCF%. Reaves plays a huge part of that IMO.

And if you want a larger sample size, when the Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves line was running prior to the TDL and Jarnkrok injury, that line was on the ice for a total of 57mins 5v5 and had 3GF to 1GA, 72%xGF and 74%HDCF.

point being, the combination of xxxxxxx - Kampf - Reaves has been largely outstanding since Reavo returned to the lineup. I do not think that is a coincidence.

For all the shit he took earlier in the year, from myself included, I think Reavo deserves some praise.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There have been a lot of good individual storylines this season, including:

-Benoit's emergence
-Matty 60+ Goals (again)
- Bobby McMann coming out party
-Sammy coming back from the dumps

But I think among those good stories, one of them has to be the evolution of Reavo's game. It is not too often that you see a 4th liner who was playing as little as he was, costing his team games in the fashion that he was earlier in the year. That said, since getting back into the lineup, Reavo has been excellent IMO. He's laying the body, making their D pay a price, and overall is just helping give that 4th line an identity for the first time in years.

I would have never expected to see that a couple months back, and I think he deserves a ton of credit for sticking with it and forcing Keefe's hand.

At this point, he is in my starting lineup come game 1. I think his style of play is something we've lacked in years past. We may lose a battle or 2, but with a guy like him in the lineup I think we are better served to win the war.

By no means do I think he is a lock for our lineup night in and night out, but he was virtually unplayable earlier in the year.

It is a very small sample size, but since the Dewar - Kampf - Reaves line was assembled they have been on the ice for 2GF and 0GA at 5v5 (26mins TOI). All while commanding over 60% in both xGF and HDCF%. Reaves plays a huge part of that IMO.

And if you want a larger sample size, when the Holmberg - Kampf - Reaves line was running prior to the TDL and Jarnkrok injury, that line was on the ice for a total of 57mins 5v5 and had 3GF to 1GA, 72%xGF and 74%HDCF.

point being, the combination of xxxxxxx - Kampf - Reaves has been largely outstanding since Reavo returned to the lineup. I do not think that is a coincidence.

For all the shit he took earlier in the year, from myself included, I think Reavo deserves some praise.
He has his games, like every player does, but last night he policed that game perfectly .. da Cats don't have an answer for Reavo .. what I have noticed is his speed seems to have picked up .. early in year he always looked way behind da play .. now he seems to help on forecheck .. some scared D men give up puck quicker and it creates chances .. Cats seem to have some scared D men

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He has his games, like every player does, but last night he policed that game perfectly .. da Cats don't have an answer for Reavo .. what I have noticed is his speed seems to have picked up .. early in year he always looked way behind da play .. now he seems to help on forecheck .. some scared D men give up puck quicker and it creates chances .. Cats seem to have some scared D men
His skating is vastly improved. I honestly have no clue where it has come from TBH. Can't say I've seen a player improve his skating that substantially during a season like that before.

Like you said, it's really just allowed him to be in the play far more and actually instill fear into the opposing D on the forecheck. I definitely want to see that 4th line used less robotically. I don't think deploying them immediately after a goal for is the right move. Especially when we have last change. You're just inviting the opposition to abuse them with their top line. But other then that, the combo off XXXXXX - Kampf - Reaves have been winning us minutes for over 2 months now. It really isn't up for debate either. The advance analytics, conventional stats and eye test all add up to the same conclusion.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
His skating is vastly improved. I honestly have no clue where it has come from TBH. Can't say I've seen a player improve his skating that substantially during a season like that before.

Like you said, it's really just allowed him to be in the play far more and actually instill fear into the opposing D on the forecheck. I definitely want to see that 4th line used less robotically. I don't think deploying them immediately after a goal for is the right move. Especially when we have last change. You're just inviting the opposition to abuse them with their top line. But other then that, the combo off XXXXXX - Kampf - Reaves have been winning us minutes for over 2 months now. It really isn't up for debate either. The advance analytics, conventional stats and eye test all add up to the same conclusion.
I think I remember Keefe saying that Reaves was a bit out of shape and noted that he worked on his endurance during his rehab when he screwed up his knee. It seems that it might have been the issue...being gassed all the time doesn't help when your not fleet of foot to begin with.
I do like his stick handling and forechecking for a fighter...he is a way better stick handler and forechecker than Simmonds was by the time he got to us.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Post injury he looks lighter.
Maybe he came to camp knowing he was going to be throwing down so he bulked up. Then he struggles to keep up, gets injured and the possibility of no longer playing became a legitimate outcome. The focus then went to getting healthy but also needing to become quicker so he could actually stay in the lineup.

It's not uncommon for players to shed some weight when they want to become more explosive.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Its all on Keefer .. da reward for playing a solid game for players is late game shifts BUT Reavo should not ever be on ice in a 2 goal game .. 3+ goals sure .. da only exception would only be if Cats were getting lippy later in game to Leaf bench and Keefe was worried about policing (and no one would know unless you were on bench or pretty close to game in da corporate platinums)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its all on Keefer .. da reward for playing a solid game for players is late game shifts BUT Reavo should not ever be on ice in a 2 goal game .. 3+ goals sure .. da only exception would only be if Cats were getting lippy later in game to Leaf bench and Keefe was worried about policing (and no one would know unless you were on bench or pretty close to game in da corporate platinums)
Here is the problem.

Reaves can make the Leafs a more difficult, physical team to play against, but unfortunately he can't make Keefe a smarter or better coach. :wg:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
A hell of a lot of mean-spirited posts in this thread.

It's well known that he struggled at the beginning of the season, but what do be expect from 4th liners?

I had a feeling he was more out of shape then age being a factor. Now that he's dropped weight and playing every game he's back to being a contributor (as much as a 4th liner can do).

As much as people used to love Kaberle (and his elite skill), he too used to show up to training camp out of shape. At one point you knew he would come around and play better.

I guess my point is that fickle people always seem to live at a disadvantage.

Negatives of being fickle:

Unreliable behavior.

Difficulty in making decisions.

Difficulty in forming deep connections with others.

Missed opportunities due to indecisiveness.

Difficulty in building trust with others.

Lack of commitment to relationships or projects.

Inconsistent attitudes and beliefs.

^Be mindful of the last three points. They are crucial.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Will be interesting to see who the 1st round opponent is this year. At the end of the day the Leafs still beat Tampa, but those first few games in round 1 were a gong show, and with Simmonds not playing, it was up to Schenn and Bunting to counter Maroon, Jeannot, Perry. I know playoff are more intense, and physical, but it seemed like it was all of a sudden the rules didn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I love physical hockey, and it's looking more like we are playing Florida 1st round this year, but that was stupidity last year..... maybe have Reaves will be the "nuclear deterrent", as I really don't see a Maroon/Jeannot type on the Panthers. Plus he has shown he can play quality minutes. I think he will be a guy who will be counted on this postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00